• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do for a short barrel .243?

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Well I have gotten all the goodies...powder,primers,bullets,brass,etc., lined up for my .243. Here is the deal...it has a 16 1/2" barrel.
With factory ammo it REALLY likes Hornady 75gr HP. Will shoot sub 1/2" groups at 100yrds with it.

I have some 75gr HP Hornady, 75gr Vmax,and 87gr Vmax bullets.

Should I use a slower powder or faster powder? Or does it make that big of a difference with a short barrel/

Take care,Stan

Re: What to do for a short barrel .243?

I would start with a powder that falls in the middle of the burn rate for powders listed suitable for your bullet wieght, possibly leaning toward the faster end. RL15 looks like a good starter out of my Hornady book. H4895 looks like the fastest listed. No experience with this cartridge myself other than having shot it. A slower powder may end up being the "best" but I would start with a slightly faster one myself.

Hey Stan,

Typically you want to use a slower powder as you move up in bullet weight. But since you have a short barrel, you may not be able to take advantage of the slower powder. I'd go with a powder with a medium burn rate in powder ranges listed for that bullet.

Chad

I had great luck with Varget on the light stuff in my buddies 20" .243. We ran it up to 39grs with no pressure signs and 3400fps.