• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What to do with 1911

tat1987

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 21, 2008
Norfolk, VA
I just bought this cheap RI 1911. I wanted a base 1911 that I could have a little fun with. What parts do you think I should replace? What should I do to get this shooting its best?

DSCF0003.jpg

DSCF0002.jpg

Re: What to do with 1911

Beavertail, ambi-safety, adjustable trigger, lightweight hammer, Simonich grips.

1911's are great to work with. I used to have five, now I'm down to one.

How thick is your wallet these days is a bigger question. To the above list Dove Tail the fron and rear of the slide for Combat sights rather than the little GI sights. Extended safety, Mag release

Match fitted barrel bushing and upgraded barrel (Down the road), Slide to frame fit tightened if needed.

I don't see your guide rod pictured.

This can get spendy really fast so good luck.

Karsten

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karsten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't see your guide rod pictured.

</div></div>

Its there. Its just not a full length guide rod.

Would a full length guide rod make a difference?

tat...Just shoot it...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Karsten</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I don't see your guide rod pictured.</div></div>

Um...

DSCF0002.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tat1987</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would a full length guide rod make a difference?</div></div>

Nope...Except to make field stripping it a little more complicated...

Don't know that there is really anything wrong w/ a basic RI 1911, but you said yourself it is "cheap"...

Why then put a bunch of HSLD parts in it?

Shoot it as is...

If it works...at most, visible sights and a crisp trigger...

Anything else worthwhile involves cutting the frame: magwell bevel, beavertail, frontstrap checkering and trigger guard relief...

JMHO...

+1 - Col. Cooper always said all a 1911 really needs is a decent trigger and sights you can see. If it will feed hollowpoints, great, if not a little throating job and basically you are done. After that, any mods are purely personal taste, cosmetics or ergonomics.

Enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlabamaShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would start out with some better sights and shoot the heck out of it. </div></div>

That's my advice, but I would also add a beavertail safety to the list. My brother has one, and I took it to a defensive handgun class when I needed a pistol on short notice. My only complaints were hammer bite and the small sights. He has a drop-in beavertail in it now, it's working fine, it just isn't as 'pretty' as a normal beavertail. For the sights, I'd go ahead and have it milled for Novaks or similar rather than stake-on replacements.

Nice basic 1911, but don't confuse <span style="font-style: italic">want</span> with <span style="font-style: italic">need</span>.

Shoot 500-700-rds through the pistol first. That will tell you more about what <span style="font-style: italic">needs</span> replacing/upgrading versus what you *think* you <span style="font-style: italic">want</span> changed out.

Avoid swapping-in CDI parts purely for cosmetics, unless the gun's main role is as a "barbecue" show-off.

If it's intended as a real-world blaster for fighting, stick with simple modifications that enhance utility, functionality, and shoot-ability (as in "combat" shooting, not targets).

Just my opinion ...
cool.gif

I bought one of those RI 1911's for $318 a couple of years ago because I had to have a 1911. To be honest, I can't say enough great things about it.

I made the following mods,
Magwell
Wraparound grips
Beavertail safety
Skeleton Hammer
Adj. trigger
Adj. target sights
Wolff +10% recoil spring (the original wore out around 1000 rnds)
Hand fit match barrel bushing
Duracoated black over gray
Shot the hell out of it

I have around 2000 rounds through it and have NEVER had a stoppage or FTF. The match barrel bushing made the accuracy impressive to say the least.

Make what ever mods YOU feel are necessary and shoot it!! For the price you can't go wrong.

CM

Full length guide rods will add weight directly under your barrel which will help with recoil alittle. But Ive loaded some real powder puff loads and shot it in a Les Baer TRS with out a full length guide rod and did not cycle, then I popped one in and it cycled. So yeah think they make a difference. I have 7 1911s and 3 of them do not have full length guide rods the other 4 do. So basically its up to you, but if you get one get a one piece.

But I think the best thing for your to do is get some nice sights installed like some Heini Straight Eight Slant Pros. Other than that some good mags. May be a good idea to dehorn the beavertail (if you keep the stock one) cause after a couple hundred rounds your hand might be bleeding.

I have a Colt Series 70 that i kept mostly stock. Just changed the thumb safety, mag release, slide stop, firing pin, firing pin stop plate, extractor, mainspring housing and all new pins and springs. Also dehorned the slide and beavertail. Maybe its not so stock, but it looks ol' school.Its my tribute to the movie "The Way of The Gun." I use it for IDPA and carry too.

thanks everyone for a lot of good advice. I have been shooting the hell out of it just to get a feel for what I like and what I don't like.

How has it been holding up to all your shooting? I've heard great things about those 1911's and for the price I don't think they can be beat.

The only problem I had was a crappy magazine. I went out to get some Wilson Combat mags. Once I switched I had NO problems what so ever.

Nice lil pistol.
I argree with Karsten that a set of decent sights would be in order. If you aren't getting the accuracy you think you should, try an EGW bushing. Maybe have a good 1911 smith massage the trigger.
Unless you have meaty fists, I wouldn't bother with the beavertail right off the bat.
Shoot it, look at and try other 1911's that have been modded in different ways.

1911's are alot like precision rigs, in that we buy one, throw money at them before we really know enough to know what we really want. Shoot alot, decide what you need/don't need then have it done. That's a nice base for a great pistol later.

i spent most of my enlistment teaching people to shoot 1911's so im kinda partial to no frills "stock" pistols and have found the less mods generally the better reliability will be. for my personal weapons i like to polish the feed ramps, slightly bevel the mag wells (if they arent already) and add wraparound hogue or pachmyr grips. ive never seen a need for the excessive oversized sights at practical distances nor is a tight lockup desirable unless you want a to perform a lot of immediate action drills due to failure to feed. the number one thing to enhance a 1911 is to make sure you have tried and true quality magazines.also i really loath all the ambidextrous safety, huge sight, beavertail, magwell extention crap thats trendy now. this stuff may be just the trick for a target course but real world its just more likely to snag or get it the way. however, these addons may actually make the pistol a better thrown weapon projectile if you run out of ammo, what with all the protruberances(is that a word?)lol.

oh by the way, get the ciener .22 lr conversion slide too. i just spotlighted a mouse in the barn with mine. double lung/heart shot. one shot one kill fellas.hooya?