• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do with a floating lug on a Marlin XT-22?

Nocalphoenix

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2008
Montana
Ok I have a baseline for accuracy (average of .65 for wolf, Fed 510 and Winchester subsonics) and tore the rifle apart to start looking at what I can tweak. The first thing that leaps out at me is the floating barrel lug. I understand the sliding arrangment will allow the barrel to center itself in the stock but it still seems to be to much of a variable. I am inclined to solder/epoxy the lug in place and then bed from there.

I have even considered taping the rear of the tang and going with a more conventional two point bedding and not even using the barrel lug. I am still new to the rimfire stuff and this floating lug was completley new to me so any ideas are appreciated.

Re: What to do with a floating lug on a Marlin XT-22?

much like the older marlins by other model numbers, that barrel lug is still a bit of a head scratcher.

but taking lemons and making lemonade, you can use the barrel lug as a tuner - by making torque adjusments on the mounting screw you can essentially use it as a tuner.

i've never had my barrel lug loose enough that it slides back and forth freely, so i don't know if that's normal.

i would be of the opinion that if you did solder or epoxy that lug, you would somehow have to make 100% sure it's on cnter before the solder or epoxy is set in. maybe temporarily glue it until you are 100% it is centered by putting it back in the stock, leeting the glue dry, then removing the stock and do the more permanant thing.

i never thought about tapping the receiver for a second mounting bolt, that sounds like a great idea.

i would think that if your barrel is sliding around enough that it depends in the stock to cradle it, there's something not right.

i think that barrel lug is one of the biggest drawbacks to the marlins as you can't get a fully or "truely" free floated barrel. but again the tuner idea seems to turn that negative into a positive.

Re: What to do with a floating lug on a Marlin XT-22?

It is extremely loose, as in falls out when I turned the action over. Looking at the tang it is pretty beefy, a simple 1/4" screw would be no problem and there is plenty of room on the stock to do a small pillar.

The only funky spot is the screw in front of the trigger. Right now it is the rear action screw and the area around it is completely open, nothing to sink a pillar into. I already opened up the barrel float and strengthened the forearm with carbon fiber (nice to work in an archery shop), I will probably just skim coat for now and do some more shooting.