• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do with an FN SCAR 20s in .308

SteveT1104

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2020
Fort Lauderdale, FL
I have a SCAR 20s in .308.

Debating whether or not to sell it. Never been fired, but I hesitate to keep it because of the negativity I hear regarding the reciprocating bolt issue and its hunger for optics.

Starting to get better at shooting, especially distance. Was probably going to save up for a Vortex Razor 1-10 LPVO to move between my FN-15 Tact II and this.

Or are the issues well-founded, and shooting PRS of any distance with the 20s is an exercise in futility.

Lay it on me.

What is your use-case? You mentioned PRS. A .308 is going to be a handicap there anyways, never mind the minor inconvenience of a reciprocating bolt on barricades. The rifle will shoot accurately enough to any distance you can reach with the cartridge. It also has a well earned reputation for destroying lower quality scopes with it's unusual recoil impulse.

The search function is your friend.

Also, careful posting about selling anything anywhere but the PX. You did read the rules, didn't you?

ETA: A vortex razor would likely be fine, a Walmart Special 3-9 would not.

Last edited:
the scar 20s with its heavier weight is not as hard on optics as the scar-h or scar 17s.
just get a quality optic and you should be fine. i actually don't even have an example of a decent scope failing because of the 20s recoil.

the reciprocating bolt is only an issue if you are dumb enough to put your hand in the way. it has never been an issue for me.

Reactions: CageFighter
If you want to make maximum profit the panic buying market is getting pretty saturated from what I am starting to see. Its not the ideal PRS setup but the same could be said for lots of guns. You can always actually go shoot it and see if you like it??? Crazy, I know

I'd keep it and save for a PRS set up lot us regretted selling one rifle or gun in the past.

If you don't need a quality semi auto then sell it. I've shot a few SCAR 17s and prefer the SR25 for accuracy and recoil control.

Last edited:
I'd keep it and save for a PRS set up lot us regretted selling one rifle or gun in the past.
Yeah, but if he isn't going to shoot it whats the point, unless you simply enjoy the pride of ownership aspect? Theres no shame in letting something go and funding something else, especially if you have no intention to use it.

Still why not go and try shooting it? M80 ball is one of the cheapest ammos to buy in store right now.

If you don't need a quality semi auto then sell it. I've shot a few SCAR 17s and prefer the SR25 for accuracy and recoil control.
sr25 is a great rifle, but the scar 20s is quite a bit different from the scar-h.
many people that actually hated the scar 17s love the 20s.

That goes double for sustained fire. For those familiar with the AR-10 platform, the SCAR has a very different recoil profile. That’s true for both the direct impingement and other short-stroke gas piston rifles. A 7th Special Forces Group team member I spoke to described it best. He said the SCAR 17 “felt like it was trying to tear itself apart every time you started pouring rounds out.”

The 20S, on the other hand, feels rock solid, especially in fast fire. That may be partially because of its weight. At over 11 lbs. empty, she’s a hefty girl. Throw on a scope, a bipod, and insert a magazine and the rifle quickly hits 13lbs. But that doesn’t completely explain how well this rifle performs in fast fire.

Reactions: Texascbr
I shot several commercial loads through the 20S, and not a single one of them above 150grains shot as bad as 1MOA. IMI’s 175gr BTSP round averaged 3/4-inch five-round groups over four-shot strings. Black Hills 175gr Match did the exact same. Match grade ammo definitely shines in this rifle.

These are standard military 7.62 NATO long-range rounds, and I’m sure they’re the bullet these guns were built around. I shot several hunting rounds from Hornady, Federal, and Nosler, and they all scored around the 3/4-inch mark. The only round to hit 1 MOA, and it hit it dead on, was that 125gr Hornady Custom Light reduced recoil round.

this is pretty much my experience, and i am not an expert with a rifle, having shot mostly handguns and shotguns for the last 40 years.
it loves cheap m80, which is important these days.

sr25 is a great rifle, but the scar 20s is quite a bit different from the scar-h.
many people that actually hated the scar 17s love the 20s.

That goes double for sustained fire. For those familiar with the AR-10 platform, the SCAR has a very different recoil profile. That’s true for both the direct impingement and other short-stroke gas piston rifles. A 7th Special Forces Group team member I spoke to described it best. He said the SCAR 17 “felt like it was trying to tear itself apart every time you started pouring rounds out.”

The 20S, on the other hand, feels rock solid, especially in fast fire. That may be partially because of its weight. At over 11 lbs. empty, she’s a hefty girl. Throw on a scope, a bipod, and insert a magazine and the rifle quickly hits 13lbs. But that doesn’t completely explain how well this rifle performs in fast fire.

I get the same sense from the from the MK 17's that we messed around with as my personal Scar 17. While light, reliable, accurate, it just feels like it was rushed though for the original Socom contract. The 20 on the other hand does seem like a product improved version of the 17 and the only issue that I have heard about is an issue regarding popping primers. I would love to grab a mk20, cut the barrel back to 16, dimple it to take off a few oz off the front end, and swap the PSR style stock with the ugg boot.

I get the same sense from the from the MK 17's that we messed around with as my personal Scar 17. While light, reliable, accurate, it just feels like it was rushed though for the original Socom contract. The 20 on the other hand does seem like a product improved version of the 17 and the only issue that I have heard about is an issue regarding popping primers. I would love to grab a mk20, cut the barrel back to 16, dimple it to take off a few oz off the front end, and swap the PSR style stock with the ugg boot.
somebody pretty much did that recently.

This is the way. I love the 20S in the 16” config with UGG…

Best SCAR configuration hands down…

Reactions: CageFighter
yea, the first ones. unfortunately any replacements will probably be the 1:10 that will not work with my over-barrel muzzle break.
u must have the same brake as me, SF FH762SV-SCAR. if I swapped for a 308 barrel, I'd chop it to 16.1" w that brake. 💪

Reactions: theLBC
Just speaking from my own experience. I've always regretted selling each and every gun I've ever sold. I get over it by purchasing a new one, but I definitely have firearm separation anxiety.

A rare but debilitating disease.

Here are some groups shot with mine, cut to 16.1" top group is 4 rds of 168 FGMM others are 5 rds of same (all at 100 yds) and the green square was Wolf steel cased fired fast! Cutting it back made it shoot softer as well! It is one of my favorites now for sure!

how much weight is dropped hacking off 4" Im debating selling my new 20S as well, the other route would be to switch to a factory folding stock, cut the barrel back to 16"

Roughly estimate this will bring the weight down by 2lb and make it much handier in terms of length (esp with folding ability)

1lb-ish switching to ugg is another 1lb…

I cut mine down to 18". It got rid of the stupid narrow shoulder. I think it's the perfect length for the 20s. Lighter and much better balance. My accuracy improved too. I've got a scar 17 so another 16" barrel seems redundant.

Attachments

• 20210406_113515~2.jpg
    20210406_113515~2.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 520
Reactions: blbennett1288