• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What to Do With Gamey Venison

mountainman308

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2012
WV, USA
So I just got my opening weekend buck back from the butcher and good God, it is the gamiest deer I have ever tasted. You can smell it when you open the packs of frozen backstrap. Ive heard of letting the meat rest in powdered milk to mitigate gamey taste, but never had to try it myself. How well does it work? Any other tips? @coldboremiracle I figure this might be a topic within your experience.

A soak in buttermilk can help. Also a soak in a mild saltwater solution may help. If it is just a bit gamey, try mixing with some hamburger or pork sausage and making venison burger. Ive also used hickory smoked bacon for grinding into burger. For future hunts, definitely soak the quarters in ice and keep the water changed out frequently.
Good luck.

Reactions: Wyzrd and TACC
1) as soon as an animal hits the ground I debone the meat entirely
2) I lay it out on sage/rocks/timber whatever is available to cool
3) pack it out to the truck put it in a large Pelican cooler filled with ice
4) take it home and do a final cleaning, cutting away all fat and silver skin
5) make final cuts put it into plastic bags get rid of the air and wrap with good butcher paper
6) put it in one of our old non defrost freezers.

In the last 12 seasons I have done this process on 25 Elk, 33 Deer and 28 Antelope with excellent results

If I shoot an Elk in the evening this process it requires me to pull an all nighter plus to get the meat taken care of properly. My last bull I went 40 hours straight without sleep...stalk, shoot, cape, debone, pack everything out and get it all to the truck (3 miles @ 8k’ elevation) and into coolers.

We have never had anything but stellar meat and recently pulled Elk steaks out of a large freezer that we failed to rotate that had been 5 years in the freezer...the straps tasted as great as this season’s bull.

I brined some dove meat from October before freezing it, I forget the ratio of salt to water offhand but I just googled it and used the first reasonable result I found. Did it over the course of 3 days - soak 24 hours, drain, fresh soak 24 hours, etc., before freezing. Just grilled them up last weekend with some friends and they had no hint of gameyness whatsoever (in our opinions, for what that's worth).

I'm sure dove meat isn't really analogous to big game, but this is still my plan for the next big game animal I shoot.

Reactions: Wyzrd
For deer/Elk

1. as soon as it’s skinned we put on ice and salt each quarter heavy including back straps
2. Keep on ice for about 3 days or until the blood is mostly gone
3. trim off all the fat and silver skin
4. soak in butter milk in fridge or cooler on ice overnight then rinse off
5. season with what ever flavor you plan on using I like Teryaki (for jerky) to cover the gamey taste
6. seal up in bags with seasoning and freeze

Buttermilk soak overnight as others have said and then make stroganoff in slow cooker. Red wine, shiitake mushrooms and onions cover up a lot of deficiencies. Chicken fried with lots of gravy also a good approach for ham steaks.

For the older bucks, tenderloin cooked any way, straps smoked / steaks.
Hams beat thin and chicken fried and the rest jerky and sausage mixed with hog.

Over the years some bucks were just stronger than others cared for in the same careful way.

Have shot some spikes that nutted themselves on a fence I suppose and they were as good as a doe.

The salt water soak works.

1) as soon as an animal hits the ground I debone the meat entirely
2) I lay it out on sage/rocks/timber whatever is available to cool
3) pack it out to the truck put it in a large Pelican cooler filled with ice
4) take it home and do a final cleaning, cutting away all fat and silver skin
5) make final cuts put it into plastic bags get rid of the air and wrap with good butcher paper
6) put it in one of our old non defrost freezers.

In the last 12 seasons I have done this process on 25 Elk, 33 Deer and 28 Antelope with excellent results

If I shoot an Elk in the evening this process it requires me to pull an all nighter plus to get the meat taken care of properly. My last bull I went 40 hours straight without sleep...stalk, shoot, cape, debone, pack everything out and get it all to the truck (3 miles @ 8k’ elevation) and into coolers.

We have never had anything but stellar meat and recently pulled Elk steaks out of a large freezer that we failed to rotate that had been 5 years in the freezer...the straps tasted as great as this season’s bull.

This x1000

Take care of your deer better after killing it will completely get rid of any gameyness. After over 200 deer killed and butchered, I have learned that poor tasting meat is because of the way it is handled in the field.
You can also learn to butcher it yourself thus insuring you only get the best for your meat.

If you don't debone in the field, how long did you let it hang? If you are in a region that you can't let it hang, can the butcher let it hang in their cooler? I always let it hang for 7-10 days and none of my stuff ends up gamey.
The heart we soak in ice water and change out the water for 3-4 days.

I have to ask, you did gut it immediately right? I've seen ungutted dear dropped off at the butcher when they aren't there just laying in the sun. That always just blows my mind.

Reactions: TACC and Alabusa
Quick, proper field dressing and meat storage.
butcher it yourself. It’s not hard or expensive. Commercial grade meat slicers and grinders can be rented for cheap if you don’t want to buy them.

Reactions: Alabusa
If none of these ideas work, you can send it to me and I'll take care of it. ?

I just made a batch of chili with mine, that works, but I'm guessing you'll tire of eating chili rather quick.

First, stop sending your stuff to the butcher. It is not uncommon to get someone else's deer back. They often view it as pounds in = pounds back to you, not necessarily the same meat. It is easy to do yourself and a whole bunch cheaper.

That said,

Chili
Tacos
My friend did a french onion crockpot roast that was amazing with gamey buck
jerky

When you thaw it out to eat soak it in water for awhile with some salt to draw that out or soak it with milk or Italian dressing. I always soak my wild game in water and salt for a bit works great

Reactions: mountainman308
As other have said, soak it in buttermilk for 24hrs and you’ll have to cook it in a way to cover up some of the gameyness.

I never send mine to the butcher for this exact reason. Get them quartered and cooled quickly and age them for about 5 days. It makes a world of difference.

If you don't debone in the field, how long did you let it hang? If you are in a region that you can't let it hang, can the butcher let it hang in their cooler? I always let it hang for 7-10 days and none of my stuff ends up gamey.
The heart we soak in ice water and change out the water for 3-4 days.

I have to ask, you did gut it immediately right? I've seen ungutted dear dropped off at the butcher when they aren't there just laying in the sun. That always just blows my mind.
I dropped it where it stood and had it gutted in 30 minutes from expiration. It was covered in the back of a pickup truck after being dressed out, as we were hunting that afternoon as well. Temp never got above freezing. I would love to try butchering the meat myself, but I lack the space (small house in a suburban area) and the equipment. For anyone willing to teach, I can provide beer.

Not close or I’d be happy to show you. You don’t need a lot of special equipment. I do 90% of mine with a filet knife. Only thing I use other than a knife is a grinder for all the scraps.

Get on YouTube and there are tons of how to videos. You’ll get better at it the more you do it. Then you can age it at home and know that it was properly taken care of.

Just make sure you remove the glands in the hams and don’t cut into them. It’s really hard to mess up and the more you do it the more you will learn which cuts of meat work well for certain dishes.

Everyone has the same idea I do here,

Good luck and keep us posted on your results

All you need is a piece of plywood on saw horses, worse case. Not hard to butcher without hanging. Excellent videos, including Meat Eater episodes and professional butchers. You always freeze the grind pile and grind burger and sausage later.

So I just got my opening weekend buck back from the butcher and good God, it is the gamiest deer I have ever tasted. You can smell it when you open the packs of frozen backstrap. Ive heard of letting the meat rest in powdered milk to mitigate gamey taste, but never had to try it myself. How well does it work? Any other tips? @coldboremiracle I figure this might be a topic within your experience.
Milk in general is a absorber like baking soda. So the theory is if you marinate in milk it will absorb the gameiness. For the record the majority of the gamey taste comes from the talo which is that thick white fat. Once you freeze it with that fat on, it pretty much goes into the meat to stay. I pack hunt western states, so for me, I have to butcher in the field and pack out. With that said, I’ve made it a habit, especially with the wife hunting with me to cut that stuff away before putting it in my bag, then before getting it on ice, trimming anything I missed. Something to consider for the future.

Reactions: TACC
My wife and I have tried brineing and soaking in buttermilk. Both worked, but I prefer the brine.
I always gut, skin, and quarter all my critters wherever they drop. When I get home, I thoroughly wash off excess blood, hair, or dirt from all the meat. Then, I cut off all fat, silver skin/fascia, tendons, blood shot meat, etc. Minus the tenderloins and backstraps, I usually just grind up the majority of the meat.

Chili, bacon wrapped and smoked, tamales, etc... season to your liking and enjoy your hard earned fresh/organic game meat!?

Reactions: lawofsavage
Good info on butchering out there. Check it out. Im in a small suburban home too. For one deer, a hand grinder takes a bit and works great. Have done an elk on one. That was a butt kicker.....

Colorado Parks and Wildlife has a video called “down to the bone” about field butchering.

MeatEater talks about glands in legs that make meat more gamey if ruptured during field butchering also.
+1 for removing all fat (except the caul fat, save that).

I am looking at maybe murdering my first buck next year and have been studying ways to keep the meat from being too loud. I love wild game taste and having eaten overly loud buck meat at a friends, I get it.

Reactions: lawofsavage
Pepperoni sticks. Buy some equipment now and then you’re on your way to doing it all yourself.

You don’t need much room to process a deer at home. Debone in the field, rinse and pack in coolers, wet age at home in fridge, prepare for storage, freeze. All can be done in small kitchen or outside on cheap folding table. You need one sharp knife and a grinder/stuffer. A vac sealer is nice to prep for easy sous vide meals.

I agree that it doesn’t take a lot of room. For years I’ve skinned/quartered them in my garage then age it in a cooler. Take out one piece at a time to cut it up and wrap it. Doesn’t take more than about 3 ft of counter space.

How do you wet age the meat? I’ve never heard of that.

When it’s cold enough I’ll hang it for a week or so before butchering. But this year it was too warm, so I was forced to butcher the next day.

one of two things happened. 1. you didnt take care of your animal after you killed it. either did a poor job of gutting it, didnt keep it clean, or didnt keep it cool enough.

or 2. your butcher fucked you and gave you someone else’s deer who fucked it up in one or more of the manners listed above.

i’ve lost count of how many deer i’ve eaten. bucks, does, fawns. and other than the tenderness of the meat or the size of the cut, you can’t tell them apart by taste. idgaf what the butcher guarantees, a quick look at their methods will tell you all you need to know.

cut them up yourself. with the youtube videos out there, it’s pretty damn simple to learn. and worst case scenario....you take the cuts you fuck up and grind them into burger. but you will learn how to do it easily enough, faster than you think.

your mistake was trusting someone else with your meat.

Reactions: Snuby642

When it’s cold enough I’ll hang it for a week or so before butchering. But this year it was too warm, so I was forced to butcher the next day.

You do it in a cooler on ice. Basically you put a layer of ice then meat, then ice, then meat and so on so that the meat is never touching. Open the drain on the cooler and tilt it so that all the liquid runs out continuously. Let it sit that way for about 5 days and just add ice on top if it melts down where you can see the meat.

You lose a little meat on the edges that is against the ice but it makes a huge difference in taste and tenderness. Where I live we rarely get to constant temps where you can just hang them for several days.

Google is your friend - so much info