• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do with my M1A

ProImaging

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2011
Alabama
www.proimagingonline.com
ok guys, ive got a M1 i bought probably 6 years ago, ive shot exactly 10 rounds through it, other than that its been cleaned regularly. been thinking about making a bench gun out of it. where's the best place to get a barrel and stock. looking for input

Re: What to do with my M1A

Sage EBR stock and smith enterprise barrels.

What do you mean by bench gun? Are you looking for benchrest accuracy out of it?

Krieger barrel and McMillan or JAE stock. There are more tweaks though... trigger tune up, NM spring guide, NM sights or scope setup, unitizing and shimming the gas cylinder, lapping the bolt, etc...

i was looking at krieger, Pete at precision barrel's pointed me that way. ill check out the mcmillan and JAE stocks. probably be cheaper to sell it and buy a bolt gun but i've wanted one of these for years and would love to shoot it some. probably put a scope on it, my eyes suck

I got 2 in sage stocks, love the guns and they humble me when I shoot them. Get you a good bolt gun, and dont try to make a silk purse out of a sows ear!! I love my M1As but they are what they are!!!

You're going to spend a lot more money on the M1A/M14 platform to achieve and maintain that level of accuracy vs a 308 AR platform. You'll need a good smith that knows how to build and bed them properly. I have a M1A loaded that I'm leaving dead stock. I have crappy eyesight as well, but I'm going to accept the rifle for what it is and look it as a challenge. To scope the M1A requires some type of pad or cheekpiece to maintain any semblance of a cheekweld. Your best accuracy is going to come from a bolt action followed very closely by any one of todays precision 308 AR types.

J Allen Enterprise stocks are regarded as very good accuracy improvements, if you want to pay that much. Not to mention the 10+ month waiting list for a new one.

I have the 18 inch scout squad in a Sage EBR set up and I will tell ya what i bought a bolt gun this past week. The m1a is meant to be a battle set up not a bench warmer =). I love and I mean love my Scout . But i know its a person hitter not a quarter hitter like some of these crazy bolt gun set ups.

Thanks for all the replies, ive about made up my mind after pricing some things to sell the M1 and use that cash to go towards a scope. im gonna go with a bolt gun. now the question is what length barrel on a 308 is the best. 20,24,26 ?

For a bench warmer I would choose the 24. If you ever change your mind you could cut and recrown.

Gotcha thanks, my brother has a 20 in hes wanting to sell me but im on the fence, he says its good to 600 and 800 depending on the wind. also have a buddy with a GAP for sale pretty reasonable. just dont know which way to go.

I don't blame you, M14's can take a lot to make them shoot. Mine does okay, with surplus ammo it can hold 1.5 MOA. It's no bolt gun or AR, but I wouldn't trade it for either.

Wow. way to abandon your own goals in pursuit of anothers OPINION.
You say you've "wanted one for years" but you've HAD one for years. First thing to do is knock the dust off, and go shoot iron sights for a while and enjoy the gun. To say you wanted benchrest performance is not only unreasonable, but it alludes to the fact you know nothing of the platform. Why it was made, and for what purpose. Yes, it WILL cost more to achieve great, consistent, repeatable performance. No, it can't be made to shoot as well as a perfectly tuned bolt gun. Close, but not quite. But if it's something you truly love, and are drawn to the feel of the rifle, it's worth the investment. To be honest, it's a love or hate platform. But to fire 10 rounds 6 years ago, say you love her, and cast her aside, well, $20 says you get burnt out trying to create a benchrest bolt gun as well.

Just don't do what other people tell you to if it's not what you want to do. All i'm sayin.

Yeah, I traded my AR for a M1A standard, and it's going into a JAE stock. It probably will never best a quality bolt gun in group size, but the challenge in tuning that rifle keeps me going. I might do some small local competitions, but really what that rifle if going to do is beat the shit out of steel plates at the 800 yard line.

I got my socom to shoot sub moa, so these old guns can shoot well. I'd say find something you want to do and do it.

I have an LRB built M1A. Shoots just a tick under 1MOA off a sandbag at 100 yards with iron sights. I'm waiting on my JAE to show up (starting month 13 currently...). Can't wait to see what it'll do after I get it finished up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scouter19D</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow. way to abandon your own goals in pursuit of anothers OPINION.
You say you've "wanted one for years" but you've HAD one for years. First thing to do is knock the dust off, and go shoot iron sights for a while and enjoy the gun. To say you wanted benchrest performance is not only unreasonable, but it alludes to the fact you know nothing of the platform. Why it was made, and for what purpose. Yes, it WILL cost more to achieve great, consistent, repeatable performance. No, it can't be made to shoot as well as a perfectly tuned bolt gun. Close, but not quite. But if it's something you truly love, and are drawn to the feel of the rifle, it's worth the investment. To be honest, it's a love or hate platform. But to fire 10 rounds 6 years ago, say you love her, and cast her aside, well, $20 says you get burnt out trying to create a benchrest bolt gun as well.

Just don't do what other people tell you to if it's not what you want to do. All i'm sayin. </div></div>
you assume too much. i know exactly what the gun was made for, im in the kicking around ideas stage right now. i never shoot this gun and to me its money hanging on the wall in the gun cabinet. i'm wanting to build or buy a bench gun and was looking for ideas, moneywise it will cost more to make this rifle as accurate as i would like than i can get a good bolt gun set up for. Not my 1st rodeo but i like to hear others opinions too. Never too old to learn something.

My M1A loaded stainless shot pretty good with NM trigger, flash hider, Sadlak gas piston, spring guide, and spring. Not bedded. Sadlak mount with SS 10x and a Coyote cheek rest. But it was just pretty good.
After reading all the stuff that could be done, I simply shimmed the gas cylinder and it cut groups in half with 41.7 of H4895 and 168 SMk when I do my part. The shim was the single most observeable improvement. Lithuanian surplus improved too. Around 1/2 to 3/4 with one off to the side for a 5 shot group at 100. I always seem to pull one.

My point is that you may not need to spend a fortune to get it to shoot well. Mine is stored with trigger guard unlocked per Duff's book, and I'll worry about bedding if/when it loosens up.
I just took an incremental approach to improvement and it worked.

I like it a lot as it is and though it's harder to group than my bolt actions, it puts a smile on my face like nothing else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dammitall</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My M1A loaded stainless shot pretty good with NM trigger, flash hider, Sadlak gas piston, spring guide, and spring. Not bedded. Sadlak mount with SS 10x and a Coyote cheek rest. But it was just pretty good.
After reading all the stuff that could be done, I simply shimmed the gas cylinder and it cut groups in half with 41.7 of H4895 and 168 SMk when I do my part. The shim was the single most observeable improvement. Lithuanian surplus improved too. Around 1/2 to 3/4 with one off to the side for a 5 shot group at 100. I always seem to pull one.

My point is that you may not need to spend a fortune to get it to shoot well. Mine is stored with trigger guard unlocked per Duff's book, and I'll worry about bedding if/when it loosens up.
I just took an incremental approach to improvement and it worked.

I like it a lot as it is and though it's harder to group than my bolt actions, it puts a smile on my face like nothing else. </div></div>
do you have a link on shimming the gas cylinder? im probably gonna keep it since i have a extra scope now. i bit the bullet and ordered a Savage 10FCP mcmillan yesterday so ill have one of each...lol

I personally didn't have much interest in an M1A until I saw a couple on here in the Sage Chassis and now that's on the list too. Good call on keeping it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deltablack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shimming how to:
http://m14forum.com/reference/89156-shimming-gas-cylinder-gas-port-alignment-how.html

You can get them at Fulton Armory:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/gascylindershimsetstainless.aspx

Shimming is great, the absolute best $15 you can spend on a M1A/M14. </div></div>

thanks been reading up and looking where to find them at. will order some today.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deltablack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shimming how to:
http://m14forum.com/reference/89156-shimming-gas-cylinder-gas-port-alignment-how.html

You can get them at Fulton Armory:
http://www.fulton-armory.com/gascylindershimsetstainless.aspx

Shimming is great, the absolute best $15 you can spend on a M1A/M14. </div></div>

Agreed.
The shim kit was the single most dramatic improvement on mine, immediately noticeable in group size. POI did change quite a bit.

There's 2,3, and 4 shim kits. I don't know that there is any substantial quality difference, but I *think* I remember reading that most rifles dialed in with total .015 shim. I don't know that this is true, but mine did. It can be done with a minimum of tools.