• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What to do with this 7mag...

Leland22

Not really a FNG
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
Greenville,SC
Need some insight from the Hide...
I just picked up a Remington 700 in 7mm Rem Mag,I was looking for a short action ,or long with a .470 bolt face,as I was wanting to build a shorty 308 for thick cover hunting..but this came up ,at a price I could not refuse. I all ready have two other 7 mags,and don't really need,or want another.
Is there a caliber I can build off of the 7mag that would do well as a shorter stick...18" or so,with a max of 200 yards?
I thought about a 18" 7mag...for about a second,and dismissed it just as quickly.
Should I just sell,or trade it, to get what I originally had in mind?
Any input would be welcomed! Thanks for the time Gents.

If you really want to build a rifle, look to the .350 rem mag. You'll have a lot of wasted space, but the long action will allow you to seat bullets out longer.
A 20 inch barrel would be a good deal for a short range, heavy hitter.

If you really want to build a rifle, look to the .350 rem mag. You'll have a lot of wasted space, but the long action will allow you to seat bullets out longer.

Thanks for the suggestion!
Im not at all concerned about wasted space with the long action,and a short action round,as you said it would allow a longer seat length,or with building one,as I was planning on a build regardless. The .350 is one that I am not at all familiar with...with a quick search,it seems it would fit the bill well, as a short range thumper.
However it also looks like cartridge components,are few and far between,and factory offerings are the same..I am reloading,but My knowledge of making brass...I'm honestly not there yet (willing to learn,but have not ventured there yet)so I would like to stay with a fairly common round,that I can find brass for fairly easily. I am also a bit recoil sensitive ie: 300 win mag is unpleasant for me to shoot,how much punishment would be expected with a .350 ?
I truly appreciate the suggestion,it's not one I would have considered. After posting I was thinking in the realm of like a 7mm saum,or wsm..as I all ready have a shit ton of projectiles,and the availability of components.
​​​​​​The .350 on paper looks good,but as I said not at all familiar with

Actually looks like Nosler is making brass...and the more I'm researching ,the more it seems like a good option...depending on recoil...any thoughts from the Hide?

For a short range thumper, I'd look at the biggest bullet I could shoot in a short action cartridge. 350 sounds like it might be the ticket. I don't have any experience with a cartridge like I mention, but a saum or wsm has far more potential than 200 yds. Not that it wouldn't work, but why not do something totally different.

For a short range thumper, I'd look at the biggest bullet I could shoot in a short action cartridge. 350 sounds like it might be the ticket. I don't have any experience with a cartridge like I mention, but a saum or wsm has far more potential than 200 yds. Not that it wouldn't work, but why not do something totally different.

A 350 would no doubt be totally different,I was thinking of the 7mm wsm,or saum,because of familiarity, and knowing I could build off of the action I have. The potential of said callabers is a hell of a lot more than 200 yards, I know..but not sure how they would do in a 18-20" configuration,and I know there is a better option.
I am liking the thought of the 350 rem mag the more I am reading on it..would love some 1st hand knowledge on them,if any hiders use,or have built one. Will likely start a new thread,with the direction of the 350. Thanks for the thoughts so far Gentleman,if any others can chime in,I'm all ears.

Leland, unless you have secured a good source for brass (read in your hands) the 7mm wsm is a No Go.

I have a 7wsm that Moon built for me that is a Great rifle! But once I am out of brass unless Winchester decides to
start producing bulk component brass again it - which I doubt - it will be time to change to a different cartridge.

7saum would be a much better choice given availability.

Leland, unless you have secured a good source for brass (read in your hands) the 7mm wsm is a No Go.

I have a 7wsm that Moon built for me that is a Great rifle! But once I am out of brass unless Winchester decides to
start producing bulk component brass again it - which I doubt - it will be time to change to a different cartridge.

7saum would be a much better choice given availability.

jetmd I do not have a brass source for the 7mm wsm,so I guess that is off the list,kind of surprised they stopped producing brass for it. Never would have thought that would happened..oh well..
Would you happen to have any experience with a 7saum,or how it would do with a 18-20" barrel?
Appreciate the heads up on lack of brass of the wsm.

Sorry no first hand experience with 7saum.

Maybe one of our industry insiders could explain why the 7wsm got shunned?

Sorry I did not intend to hijack your thread.

Good Luck with your choice!

338 Winchester mag.
Should work well out of the shorter barrel.
The receiving end of that won't be arguing with you

Sorry no first hand experience with 7saum.

Maybe one of our industry insiders could explain why the 7wsm got shunned?

Sorry I did not intend to hijack your thread.

Good Luck with your choice!

No worries Brother,hopefully someone will chime in ;)
I would love to know why the 7wsm went the way of the dodo as well, so no worries about a hijack,it's good info.
Thanks for the input!

Last edited:
338 Winchester mag.
Should work well out of the shorter barrel.
The receiving end of that won't be arguing with you

Mike Casselton a 338 would likely be good to go,however I am a bit recoil sensitive, I cant see My narrow ass banging on a 338, 5'11 and 175ish..not saying that I cant,but would like to be able to shoot it enough to be proficient,and not dread squeezing the trigger,and develope bad habits.
Just read an article about a 16.25" 300 win mag..possibly,but about at My recoil limit.

350 is an ass kicker. I bought a.ruger in this caliber. I convert 7mm brass to 350 with a set of conversion dies. Then trim. Pretty slick. Mine shoots really well. I had a brake put on.as it has a pretty stout kick. IMO, a bit more than a 7mm

350 is an ass kicker. I bought a.ruger in this caliber. I convert 7mm brass to 350 with a set of conversion dies. Then trim. Pretty slick. Mine shoots really well. I had a brake put on.as it has a pretty stout kick. IMO, a bit more than a 7mm

​​​​@10ring1 I appreciate the input. I don't think I would want to run a break,with a 18" or so barrel,I would probably be deaf. Would you say that the recoil was a bit more than the 7mm with,or without the break?

No worries Brother,hopefully someone will chime in ;)
I would love to know why the 7wsm went the way of the dodo as well, so no worries about a hijack,it's good info.
Thanks for the input!

The 7 WSM was cursed with a very short neck. The SAUM is a bit more efficient with a longer neck, allowing better bullet alignment and protecting the throat a bit better (or so they say).
The WSM can achieve slightly higher velocities

The 7 WSM was cursed with a very short neck. The SAUM is a bit more efficient with a longer neck, allowing better bullet alignment and protecting the throat a bit better (or so they say).
The WSM can achieve slightly higher velocities

Got ya! Makes sense,kinda sucks the support is lacking,as the WSM looks great on paper.
Thanks for the insight!

Looking at your barrel length and max distance 450 bushmaster is what your after. We are getting good groups to 300 yards recoil is not bad and factory Hornady ammo shoots great. I built a long action 450 with a HS stock and single shot follower that was perfect. HS stocks are cheap for long actions no one does much with them.

Easy_E thanks for the suggestion but Im not really wanting to change bolt face size if I don't have to. The 7 mag has a 540ish, and 450bm is around 470 I believe. Could be mistaken. If I need to change the bolt,I'll just sell the 7mag and get what I was originally going to get,and build a 308. Only reason I picked up the 7 was the price..could not resist.
The 450 I feel may be a bit on the light side for larger sized animal's ,though would be a good Whitetail round.
Thanks for the suggestion! ! But don't think the 450 checks all the boxes,except for length,and range.
Not that I think I am going to be able to do something that does check all the boxes though..
Again truly appreciate the suggestion!

I was thinking the 7 mag wasn't belted for some reason wonder if you could load reduce recoil 300 win ammo ?

I was thinking the 7 mag wasn't belted for some reason wonder if you could load reduce recoil 300 win ammo ?

I'm sure a reduced load in a 300 win,would reduce the punishment on Me,and make it more pleasant for me to shoot,as well as just not loading heavy rounds..
Have thought about it..just seems like a waste of a good mag.
There have been some great suggestions,Gentlemen and there are some options that would be great for what I need,with the exception of the recoil (I know sissy,but I don't need to develop bad habits ) so the way I see it as of now is either..
- 300 win mag,with a reduced load,and lighter bullet.
-​7mm​​​​​ saum,shoot heavy's and load long.
Or sell it and get what I originally had in mind
Again thanks for all the insight,and suggestions,I truly appreciate it,and there were some options I did not even think about,and would damn sure do,if I was not such a sissy about recoil ; )

Last edited:
it occurred to me that you could also dabble with the .450 marlin, factory ammo is available. rim size is slightly less

375 ruger would be a great cartridge for your application. I have converted several belted magnum actions to this caliber. It's a heavy hitter and recoil isn't too bad. With 235 grain Barnes bullets it has a very flat trajectory for long shots and with 300 grain bullets it hits hard up close for the big stuff. I took mine to Africa and took 6 animals with 6 shots. It is an accurate caliber as well. Sub moa has been the norm. Good luck with your project.

375 ruger would be a great cartridge for your application. I have converted several belted magnum actions to this caliber. It's a heavy hitter and recoil isn't too bad. With 235 grain Barnes bullets it has a very flat trajectory for long shots and with 300 grain bullets it hits hard up close for the big stuff. I took mine to Africa and took 6 animals with 6 shots. It is an accurate caliber as well. Sub moa has been the norm. Good luck with your project.

That's what I was thinking.

it occurred to me that you could also dabble with the .450 marlin, factory ammo is available. rim size is slightly less

Now that is one ,I am a bit familiar with,as I have an Uncle with one.
Have shot it a few times,at the the range. I remember thinking that My 12ga with 3.5" mags kicked less,and that damn thing kicks like a pissed off muel. And while it would be perfect for the short distance,and heavy cover...it just rocks My brain way to much! Not an enjoyable caliber for me to shoot with,and be any good.
Thanks for the suggestion! But I know that one is well above what I can tolerate.

I hear ya. Don't forget though, that shooting a light weight lever action with a narrow butt will recoil differently than a bolt gun with a good stock.
You've got lots of suggestions, the .375 Ruger sounds like a good deal

Looks like a good round on paper,will look into it a bit more! Thanks for the option!!

I hear ya. Don't forget though, that shooting a light weight lever action with a narrow butt will recoil differently than a bolt gun with a good stock.
You've got lots of suggestions, the .375 Ruger sounds like a good deal

Very ,very true statement Brother!
And I do have a ton of great suggestions,I still have not seen one that I have been "Yup..that's it..box it up and ship it out to get built" I think I may be chasing a Unicorn..
I am going to do a bit more research on the suggested options, make a decision,and send her off to be built.. then just shoot it,and learn to manage recoil better.
I can't thank you Gentlemen enough! If there are more thoughts, please toss them out there!

Gentlemen,
Just spoke to My pops,( have been bouncing ideas off him as well) he has a good friend with both a 350, and a 375. We are heading to the property this weekend,so I can shoot both,and have a better idea of what I'm looking at.
Thanks for the suggestions again,I'll let yall know how it shakes out.

​​​​@10ring1 I appreciate the input. I don't think I would want to run a break,with a 18" or so barrel,I would probably be deaf. Would you say that the recoil was a bit more than the 7mm with,or without the break?

Never shot it without the brake but with it on I would compare it to a bit more than 7mag with no brake. Just manageable

So spent some time behind the 375,and the 350,over the weekend,and I must say the recoil pulse was not at all what I had built up in My head. They both pushed more than punched..if that makes any sense.
I will say that the 350 was more pleasant to shoot,for me. I think I am going to go with the 350!
Now to track down a tube,decide on a stock,and make some calls to some smiths. I have builds from LRI, and Dave Tooley..so I will start there. Does anyone have a smith they have used for a 350 build by chance,that they would recommend?