• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do with this stuff??

JJMoody

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2021
North Idaho
I’ve got bins full of stuff that should be sentimental. Sports, academic awards, trophies, medals, plaques newspaper articles, photos, videos and a bunch of other crap I’ve been hauling around for over 20 years. At one point, this stuff was cool, but after whacking my shin on an 80lb custom fabricated iron behemoth of me doing a wrestling move I was known for in HS, I’m ready to throw the whole lot of it in a dumpster. It’s feeling like a bunch of excess baggage that doesn’t really matter anymore. Never had kids to show it to, I help coach a few kids at the local HS/ college teams, but this junk isn’t actually helping anyone. What do you guys do with stuff like this?

Reactions: 338dude
Most of the family is spread out from Washington to Florida. Nieces/nephews might care some day, but there’s no relationship there. The dump is only a couple miles from my place, so the first layer just made its way there. High school and college stuff mostly. Guess I’ve had that answer in the back of my head for a while. The big bastard trophy just made friends with the scrap metal bin. Stuff from the US open and Olympic trials is still buried and I don’t feel like digging it out just yet, but football jerseys, helmets etc just made some good room to store rakes and such… lol!

Nobody wants to sift through that stuff when you're dead.

Take pictures and make a scrapbook or pay somebody to make a scrapbook. It'll give people something to flip through at your funeral with all the meaning and sentimentality and none of the clutter.

I feel your pain. I never really had much High School memorabilia but, I had trophies left over from my mx/desert racing days ( don't tell .gov on me!) while I was stateside in the Mil.. Decided to go through the house, shop, shed, just before covid hit. Got a dumpster and started throwing crap out. Went through everything. Wood, metal, Jeep parts, spare parts, tools(donated those to a local bike shop), old racing riding gear, the whole shit'n kabang. Brought a tear to my eye to see that stuff go. Couldn't wear the shit anyways, so why would I care? Memories, I guess.
Since it's all over now, I'm good. None of my kids want any of the stuff, and my grandkids, don't have a clue, or care, what I did in my past life. It's going to hurt for a short bit but, you'll feel much better for it. Mac(y)

Lightening the load is part of it. Father in law died 10 years ago and “we’re” still trying to let all his stuff go. He was a national HOF coach etc..It’s hard for my wife to toss all that stuff, but every year, more goes to the dump. We (as a society, I guess) just load ourselves up with stuff. Then we store it, so we never have to look at it. The whole things a bunch of bull.

Get rid of it. I'm an amateur hoarder myself, my old man was semi-pro. When he past I sold my house and moved into his, something had to give. At least 8 dumpsters full along the way and it is manageable now.

When I moved out of home I took all that stuff with me, when I moved from that house I tossed all that junk in the bin and never thought about it again.

I also have simplified life. I had a few electric guitars and an old Fender 85 amp and an RP-55 Digitech modeling unit. Gave that away and consolidated to just an old acoustic, a Yamaha classical and an Ibanez. And got a Fender Mustang GTX 100 that will do everything I need it to do.

I have some stuff on a shelving unit in my garage I have not used in years. So, I am throwing stuff away in the garbage can and one day, I will just load up the trailer and go to the dump.

just load ourselves up with stuff. Then we store it,

My views may be biased by my experiences since 99% of the physical "stuph" attached to my childhood and early adult memories has found it's way into the Gulf over the years.

It's amazing how effectively a few hurricanes can lighten the load for you.

I've still got more crap than I need in the house, garage and attic but I'll never have a storage unit. it will get donated to vet's or dumped in a landfill before it ever sees a storage unit.

I had a home in Texas and one in virginia. Sold the one in Tx. and consolidated. About the same time mom passed so I inherited a house full from her. I've been unloading stuff for years. Theres likely 5% you'd like to keep. Send me the guns and ammo. For all the rest....

You'll feel better. Especially about the guns and ammo, knowing theyre safe and appreciated.

Reactions: DIBBS and JLP83
I had a home in Texas and one in virginia. Sold the one in Tx. and consolidated. About the same time mom passed so I inherited a house full from her. I've been unloading stuff for years. Theres likely 5% you'd like to keep. Send me the guns and ammo. For all the rest....

You'll feel better. Especially about the guns and ammo, knowing theyre safe and appreciated.

Well, bless yer heart…. Someone here FINALLY willing to take all the guns…..
Well maybe I’ll send ya everything but grandpas 1923 Winchester ‘94 in 30 WCF… that ones slated for the tactical upgrade after all that tactical lever gun thread stuff…

Here's my thought. You get one footlocker and put the most important sentimental shit in there. If it doesn't fit in the foot locker, it doesn't stay. Pass it on, throw it out, eBay rare/collectible items, whatever.

That way you keep some of the most important things, you'll appreciate that when you're at the end of your years and the memory is fading. You aren't lugging around a lot of bullshit, it's one trip to the moving truck each way to move it. You can stack shit on it in storage, it only occupies a few cubic feet of room, but you'll have the cream of the crop in there. If you ever do have kids (or for the rest of us who do), they'll appreciate it, but when you're gone it's simple to clean out, repurpose, archive, or throw in the dumpster in one trip.

One tip, when you put something in the box, put a note with it on why it's in there. "Favorite pocket knife that I carried from '10-'19." "First win at State in '89", that sort of thing. Memory can go as fast as hair or near vision. I have a few things from my great grandfather with that little note, the knife he carried through the Great Depression, his favorite petrified wood inlayed belt buckle, that sort of thing. It's an easy one day project during a winter storm sort of thing that will be appreciated by future you.

• Haha
Reactions: Maggot
Get rid of as much shit as you can.

I have this theory that most people who don't move all the time have 15,000-20,000 pounds of shit they don't need or ever use.

I have about 200 pounds of shit I may use some day but never touch.

I move every 2-4 years internationally. Easily the best way to get rid of shit. At some point I won't own anything.

Bookshelves are a great thing to get rid of. Then get rid of the books you paid $80 for at Borders that you have never read and never will read. Getting rid of books after you read them will increase the quality of your life.

Get rid of as much shit as you can.

I have this theory that most people who don't move all the time have 15,000-20,000 pounds of shit they don't need or ever use.

I have about 200 pounds of shit I may use some day but never touch.

I move every 2-4 years internationally. Easily the best way to get rid of shit. At some point I won't own anything.

Bookshelves are a great thing to get rid of. Then get rid of the books you paid $80 for at Borders that you have never read and never will read. Getting rid of books after you read them will increase the quality of your life.
When my dad passed last year, we had to go through boxes of old shit. And while some of it was interesting, like a moon landing newspaper, the boxes of check stubs going back to the 1970s were very very much not.

And I mean EVERY single stub and deposit slip and whatever the hell else. It took months to do it.

Don't be like that for your descendants. Don't leave them with crap.

Last edited:
I moved about every year for some stupid reason or another and had to sort all my stuff, get rid of stuff, pack shit etc. I have one box - one box, full of shit that I look at every once in a while and still wonder why I kept it.

And a storage shed. Not really sure what all is in there. But I'm thinking there's some good stuff in there. Not that I ever listened to Army Jerry.

Reactions: Aftermath
in all seriousness, it's sad that some of you people are so eager to toss family possessions.

I traced my family solidly back through the 1600s and I own a number of items that belonged to particular ancestors from the 1700s and 1800s. And I know how to acquire one painting from the 1600s, I'm just biding my time.

Oil paintings from 2 artists, 200 years apart, military decorations, tools, items of local history, a handwritten diary from the 7 Years War. My kids can see who they descended from because people hung on to these things. It means something.

on the other hand, another side of the family tossed everything. In the late 1800's, one of them decided that they didn't want military paraphenalia in the house, so a number of bringbacks from the War of Northern Aggression were gotten rid of. Muskets, swords, diaries, medals all disposed of. only a few Confederate bills survived. that hurts.

one day your kids might wish you had kept some of your stuff.

All my drag racing crap.
Wally's, trophies, plaques, T-shirts, jackets, pictures, tech cards, credentials, car parts, blow up engines, broken axles, smashed transmissions.
all of it went right in the trash.
Nobody wants this old crap and why the hell are we packing it around.

Actual meaningful stuff, family history and a stack of wood that I’ve drug around for 15 years that takes up 1/4 of the floor space in my storage silo that I’ll actually use “some day” are all safe. You know, useful things…. But mementos of the “glory days” have become nothing. Kinda different thinking, but it almost pisses me off that I’ve packed some of this stuff around, moved it, consolidated, this bin cracked, dump it out, new bin, re stack all the crap…. And I used to pay to store it! Used to be pretty proud of some of it, now, it’s just a nuisance for me. The Thinking along the lines of cleaning out for my death so my loved ones don’t have to? Screw that- I’m still young and strong and those bastards should have to look at my picture before they grab all my good shit! Maybe I’ll save a really heavy bin for just that occasion…. Tape a really condescending picture on the outside, just in case…

• Haha
I had an aunt that just passed away about a year ago my uncle (her husband) passed a couple years before. Their two kids (my cousin's) finally sold their house, ironically and I didn't even know, but a friend of mine parents bought it he calls me up and says hey my mom and dad bought your aunt and uncles old house your cousin's pretty much left everything in there and told my parents what they didn't want to trash. He asked me if I or anyone else in my family wanted to walk through it to see if we wanted anything before, they got the trash removal company to get rid of all of it. My cousins apparently didn't have much sentimental attachment to just about anything their parents owned they left behind just about everything it was like my aunt and uncle just up and vanished and their entire life worth of stuff was just being thrown in a dumpster. I walked away with an old vise that used to belong to my grandfather and an old outboard boat motor, but that was all I wanted.

Get rid of it slowly. Drop a trophy in front of a few bums and tell them it is gold. Hold bets for who wins, take earnings and buy coke/hookers....rinse and repeat.

I had a big box full of mostly meaningless shooting "trophies" (plaques). At one point I was going to take them to work and hang them on my "office" wall, impress/scare everyone. ;)

Instead, little by little I took them to the range and used them as targets.

I started to purge my junk when I retired in 2015. We moved in 2022 after being in the same house for 32 years and I got rid of a bunch more stuff. I think my boys breathed a sigh of relief! I let them look through everything before I got rid of it and they took a few things.

When I was 12 we moved from the tribal ghetto out into a house in the country. Best summer ever!
But the house we went to was a little farmhouse that an old couple lived in for probably their whole live, it seemed like they never got rid of anything. Like a box for a fishing reel from 1950s that had bent nails in it, etc. We had many large bonfires!
I got to keep an old record player.
Now, I have pack rat in my blood, but that memory helps keep it in check a little.
Oh, and I never got any trophies. You show offs. 😜

I’ve thought about hanging some of the stuff in a man cave. You know, leather, mahogany and rich tobacco. Then kinda thought it’d be weird to surround myself with….. my…self…. Appreciate the “permission” to let this stuff go. I’m still pack rat ish though. We always have projects around the place and constant construction/art projects, so building materials and other potential money making tidbits are sticking around. I’m getting better about ditching stuff I’ll realistically never get to, especially if someone else will use it.

I’ve got bins full of stuff that should be sentimental. Sports, academic awards, trophies, medals, plaques newspaper articles, photos, videos and a bunch of other crap I’ve been hauling around for over 20 years. At one point, this stuff was cool, but after whacking my shin on an 80lb custom fabricated iron behemoth of me doing a wrestling move I was known for in HS, I’m ready to throw the whole lot of it in a dumpster. It’s feeling like a bunch of excess baggage that doesn’t really matter anymore. Never had kids to show it to, I help coach a few kids at the local HS/ college teams, but this junk isn’t actually helping anyone. What do you guys do with stuff like this?
Yard sale! As the day goes on prices, get lower anything at the end of the day is free!

I had a big box full of mostly meaningless shooting "trophies" (plaques). At one point I was going to take them to work and hang them on my "office" wall, impress/scare everyone. ;)

Instead, little by little I took them to the range and used them as targets.
I like the office idea better.keeps people on their toes!

All my drag racing crap.
Wally's, trophies, plaques, T-shirts, jackets, pictures, tech cards, credentials, car parts, blow up engines, broken axles, smashed transmissions.
all of it went right in the trash.
Nobody wants this old crap and why the hell are we packing it around.
Engine parts can be recycled and sold for scrap steel, although not for very much.

After having to settle estates of my loved ones, and deal with the stuff they kept all their lives - I started a campaign in my home to start jettisoning as much unnecessary crap as possible. I don’t need my kids having to sort through crap I kept over the years. Trophies from winning car and motorcycle races and karate tournaments don’t mean anything to me now, and certainly aren’t going to mean anything to my kids a few years from now. I had car parts and spares for all kinds of stuff that I had years ago. Some of it still had value, so I sold it. But realistically 90% of it went in a dumpster.... and there’s still tons to be rid of.

Besides,I have to make room for new crap!

After having to settle estates of my loved ones, and deal with the stuff they kept all their lives - I started a campaign in my home to start jettisoning as much unnecessary crap as possible. I don’t need my kids having to sort through crap I kept over the years. Trophies from winning car and motorcycle races and karate tournaments don’t mean anything to me now, and certainly aren’t going to mean anything to my kids a few years from now. I had car parts and spares for all kinds of stuff that I had years ago. Some of it still had value, so I sold it. But realistically 90% of it went in a dumpster.... and there’s still tons to be rid of.

Besides,I have to make room for new crap!
DLM-Dumpster Lives Matter.

Reactions: MadDuner
good luck. after my parents left their home of 39 years i spent 2 months of weekends dealing with their stuff. some sold ,some donated,some tossed. decided that my heirs were not going to deal with that and have streamlined my stuff ever sense. most desirable thing i will leave is likely books,many on the future NWO to be banned list.