• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to do

Which one

• Shoot the win mag barrel out then swap

• Go straight to prc and sell the win mag barrel

Results are only viewable after voting.

danatkins

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2017
So going to be getting a few referrals at work and wanting to step up to something with a little more energy left down range. I love my 6.5 and can hit out to a mile on 2nd round quite frequently (still learning wind but aren't we all) so I'm looking st a bergara hmr left hand in either 300wm or buying that one dropping a prc barrel on it. Don't know why they can't sell it from the factory in prc because they make the hmr in prc but not for us southpaws. It'll mainly be my longer range gun and when I hunt something bigger than whitetails. With my 6.5 I bought it in 308 and got back into precision shooting then when I got my recoil control and somewhat wind reading I got a good deal on my creedmoor barrel and swapped over. So kind of the same idea get used to magnum then swap to prc. had a Weatherby about 12 years ago but it was a light weight vanguard and it beat everyone who fired it so gotta a little learning curve there I'm sure.

If you reload, there’s not much you’re gaining by going PRC. Not sure how far you plan on hunting, but win mag with good bullets is very effective on game to past where most people can/would shoot. If you don’t reload, PRC has a significant edge in long range hunting/target ammo. Although, PRC loaded ammo is quite difficult to find now. My winny with 190 ABLRs doing 2950 is still carrying 1800 FPS at 900 yards

Reactions: DIBBS
How's it do with the heavier bullets like 212,220,230? I've always had great luck with hornady bullets and easier to find than berger so probably gonna run the 208 or 225 match for normal stuff and 212 eldx for game and possibly the 230 atip for 1 mile plus which isn't often

Reactions: Holliday
If you want to run the 212-230 grain pills I’d just go 300 PRC. It will more efficiently get the velocity you want. Resulting in less pressure

This is how I think about it, and my situation may be different from yours... I'm not scared to spend money on barrels-- I have Bartlein 10.5" AR barrels. I don't like when rifles don't shoot and when the barrel is the problem there's nothing you can do about it.

When it comes to factory barrels, Bergara and Tikka have it going on, but they're still not at the same level as a top shelf match barrel. If your intent is ELR target shooting, you want everything you can get for precision.

So... If it's going to be a hunting rifle that gets 50-100 rounds a year through it, leave it win mag. The 10 twist will work for pretty much everything up to 230gr. If you're going to want precision for ELR, I'd skip the BS, go PRC from the get-go, and put a 1:9 (in case you ever want to try 250 class bullets) cut-rifled barrel on it right now .

This is the barrel I'm planning on. Was thinking the wm so I could buy some reloading components and start shooting if I get the barrel won't be able to get as much. Knowing me though I'll get the barrel for the simple fact of win mag brass is pretty hit or miss

If you're going to be stretching the WM or PRC, I think there is more juice in running a 205 Badlands than a warmer load for say, a 220 lrht. If you want to outrun (wind) a WM/205 Badlands with something jacketed, you will need 250 atips and RUM capacity. So, I vote for sticking with a smaller case with good brass (ADG makes both WM and PRC) and developing a load for a mono and a load for jacketed. A 9 twist will do for both, but an 8 twist wouldn't hurt, since 85 grains of powder isn't going to overspin a 220 grain pill.

How's it do with the heavier bullets like 212,220,230? I've always had great luck with hornady bullets and easier to find than berger so probably gonna run the 208 or 225 match for normal stuff and 212 eldx for game and possibly the 230 atip for 1 mile plus which isn't often
Factory loaded 200 gr ELDX is widely available. Not going to be much difference between it and the 212 when it comes to terminal performance if you are deadset on running 212s.

As long as there is throat to load the 300WM long, as in around 3.54" COL. It seems like there is very small difference between it and the 300 PRC.
I have been shooting a 300WM for a few years, using Hornady ELD-X 212, ELD-M 208 and 225 grain and Lapua Scenar L 220 grain. All with great results. I use Norma brass as I have a lot of it, if I where to start out today I would get a few boxes of Lapua brass and not look back.

My go to load with Lapua Scenar L 220 grain and VV N170 powder does 2805 fps.
I dont know exactly what you can hot rod a 300 PRC up to using the same bullet? But this is what my Jury barrel gives me.

Last edited:
A SAAMI chamber and a custom chamber are two different animals.
I'm no huge fan of belted magnums, they exist because of Fudd's "that ain't no magnum, it ain't got no belt" mentality.
However, if you have your .300 WM chambered with a MK 248 Mod 1 reamer, you are not going to see any difference in performance, provided you handload, you have the added benefit of lots of available, high quality brass for the .300 WM.

If you're going to be stretching the WM or PRC, I think there is more juice in running a 205 Badlands than a warmer load for say, a 220 lrht. If you want to outrun (wind) a WM/205 Badlands with something jacketed, you will need 250 atips and RUM capacity. So, I vote for sticking with a smaller case with good brass (ADG makes both WM and PRC) and developing a load for a mono and a load for jacketed. A 9 twist will do for both, but an 8 twist wouldn't hurt, since 85 grains of powder isn't going to overspin a 220 grain pill.
What's a 205 badlands?
Factory loaded 200 gr ELDX is widely available. Not going to be much difference between it and the 212 when it comes to terminal performance if you are deadset on running 212s.
Was just throwing weights out the don't figure there would be much difference between the 200 and 212
As long as there is throat to load the 300WM long, as in around 3.54" COL. It seems like there is very small difference between it and the 300 PRC.
I have been shooting a 300WM for a few years, using Hornady ELD-X 212, ELD-M 208 and 225 grain and Lapua Scenar L 220 grain. All with great results. I use Norma brass as I have a lot of it, if I where to start out today I would get a few boxes of Lapua brass and not look back.
Wonder how bergara barrels are throated
A SAAMI chamber and a custom chamber are two different animals.
I'm no huge fan of belted magnums, they exist because of Fudd's "that ain't no magnum, it ain't got no belt" mentality.
However, if you have your .300 WM chambered with a MK 248 Mod 1 reamer, you are not going to see any difference in performance, provided you handload, you have the added benefit of lots of available, high quality brass for the .300 WM.
Could a factory barrel have the chamber throat lengthened without having to cut it back? Only barrels I've had put on have all been either ar or pre fit

What's a 205 badlands?

I've just finished some seating depth testing on the 135's out of a 6.5 max, and they shoot. Will be trying the 205's in my RUM soon.

Control group with Berger 153.5's and then the 135's...

ABC31A98-19A3-4A4C-9B13-7B53C9BD8F64.jpegCF55B754-F299-47EA-AEA4-41B760AAE6CB.jpeg

I have a 300PRC.

I see 300WM ammo on even the most desolate of shelves. I never see 300PRC ammo even on the most plentiful of shelves.

If I was buying an off the shelf rifle shooting mostly box ammo and NOT reloading I would go 300WM.

If you plan on experimenting with reloading and pushing the limits. 300PRC

It can push up to 215-220s, but PRC has some advantage in those bullet weights. I haven’t shot anything over 200 because I have a tikka that won’t stabilize that heavy of bullets

FYI - brand new for 95 bucks - no affiliation, but saw it while browsing for other stuff...

Reactions: Ledzep

I have a Criterion Match barrel on my WM. I load 225 ELDMs to 3.680” (or something real close to that) with a 26” 10 twist. Was getting 2875 with them and had them on target to 2000 yards. YMMV