• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s what to expect from the cops grant. just sharing

fastone20

Private
Minuteman
Dont know why I am posting it but some might want to know. This is what we got. It makes me sick in a department where the highest paid position is 26,000 a year with limited benefits. Guess i need to get a new job.

I would like to thank you for your grant application under the COPS Hiring Recovery Program (CHRP). The COPS Office received an overwhelming response to this year’s CHRP grant application solicitation. Nearly 7,300 CHRP applications requesting over 39,000 officers and $8.3 billion in funds were submitted to the COPS Office, while $1 billion was available for the program.

As you may know, the COPS Office’s first CHRP award announcement occurred on July 28, 2009. With an abundance of high-quality grant applications and a limited amount of funding available, COPS was faced with many difficult funding decisions. Many applicant requests were reduced due to the high demand relative to the amount of funding available, with the goal of distributing CHRP officers to a greater number of jurisdictions. Ultimately, however, COPS was able to fund only 1,046 (14%) of the 7,272 CHRP requests received during the 2009 solicitation. Unfortunately, your CHRP proposal was not selected for the July 28th announcement.

Re: what to expect from the cops grant. just sharing

Bro, Ive been hearing this from agencies all over the place.

The amount of departments which are being told "sorry..." makes me wonder where all this money is really going.

Its kinda like the departments that have grant $$$ from Click It Or Ticket (STEP) grants for OT pay, but then just have the on duty traffic guys write the tickets... That money goes somewhere...

Didnt Clinton try this too, by the way? I seem to remember grant money getting passed around for hiring - and then a lot of those smaller agencies had to layoff the officers once the grant money ran out and they couldnt afford them anymore.

So at the current time it seems that public safety is optional but hand out $4 billion to ballot box stuffers is crucial. Yeah.

Hell, 1 billion was used for the "cash for clunkers" program IN 4 DAYS!! Now the man in charge wants to give 2 billion more to them?!?!? B.S. And he would rather use the stimulus to save what approval rating he has left by giving people cars instead of actually do what's helpful for our communities (IE public safety).

mad.gif

Re: what to expect from the cops grant. just shari

What's a billion dollars here or there? The Fed just prints more worthless paper and waits until our kids, grandkids or great grandkids pay the bills.
The "demoncrats" and "dumbpublicans" can't fix the system so they are going to just keep throwing money around to try and keep the masses pacified until the whole system collapses.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tasers Hurt!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know why I am posting it but some might want to know. This is what we got. It makes me sick in a department where the highest paid position is 26,000 a year with limited benefits. Guess i need to get a new job.

</div></div>

WTF??

Possibly here http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8241447&page=1

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/...town-residents/

Airports receiving grants are:

&#65533; Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport -- $5.3 million to improve airport security, and an additional $2.6 million to construct a snow removal equipment storage building.

&#65533; Sitka Rocky Gutierrez Airport -- $7.2 million to purchase property adjacent to the runway for development.

&#65533; Eek Airport -- $4.3 million to complete the construction of a replacement airport for the community of Eek, including the installation of runway lighting, construction of a snow removal equipment storage building and placement of surface material on the previously constructed embankment.

&#65533; Sand Point -- $3.5 million to improve the runway safety area and rehabilitate the airport&#65533;s apron and access road.

&#65533; Atmautluak Airport -- $3.4 million to extend and rehabilitate the runway and construct a snow removal equipment storage building.

&#65533; Merrill Field, Anchorage -- $1.9 million to acquire security equipment and rehabilitate the taxiway.

&#65533; Juneau International Airport -- $1.8 million to acquire an aircraft rescue and firefighting vehicle and snow removal equipment.

&#65533; St. Paul Island Airport -- $1.5 million to install perimeter fencing and pave the runway.

&#65533; Atka Airport -- $1 million to complete an environmental review for expanding and renovating the runway.

&#65533; Lake Hood Airport -- $800,000 to extend and widen the runway safety area.

&#65533; Cold Bay Airport -- $600,000 to acquire aircraft rescue and firefighting equipment.

&#65533; St. George Airport -- $500,000 to pave the runway.

In addition, a total of $1.3 million in discretionary funds was granted to the Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities for runway rehabilitation projects at the 27 general aviation and commercial service airports in Alaska.

Also, a $1.2 million grant was awarded to improve airport security at the following airports: James C. Johnson Petersburg, Barrow, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cordova, Dillingham, Deadhorse, Ketchikan, King Salmon, Kodiak, Kotzebue, Nome, Sitka, Unalaska, Valdez, Wrangell and Yakutat.

The grants announced today come from the Airport Improvement Program of the U.S. Department of Transportation&#65533;s Federal Aviation Administration.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tasers Hurt!</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dont know why I am posting it but some might want to know. This is what we got. It makes me sick in a department where the highest paid position is 26,000 a year with limited benefits. Guess i need to get a new job.

</div></div>

WTF??

Possibly here http://abcnews.go.com/Business/story?id=8241447&page=1

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/...town-residents/

Airports receiving grants are:

&#65533; Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport -- $5.3 million to improve airport security, and an additional $2.6 million to construct a snow removal equipment storage building.

&#65533; Sitka Rocky Gutierrez Airport -- $7.2 million to purchase property adjacent to the runway for development.

&#65533; Eek Airport -- $4.3 million to complete the construction of a replacement airport for the community of Eek, including the installation of runway lighting, construction of a snow removal equipment storage building and placement of surface material on the previously constructed embankment.

&#65533; Sand Point -- $3.5 million to improve the runway safety area and rehabilitate the airport&#65533;s apron and access road.

&#65533; Atmautluak Airport -- $3.4 million to extend and rehabilitate the runway and construct a snow removal equipment storage building.

&#65533; Merrill Field, Anchorage -- $1.9 million to acquire security equipment and rehabilitate the taxiway.

&#65533; Juneau International Airport -- $1.8 million to acquire an aircraft rescue and firefighting vehicle and snow removal equipment.

&#65533; St. Paul Island Airport -- $1.5 million to install perimeter fencing and pave the runway.

&#65533; Atka Airport -- $1 million to complete an environmental review for expanding and renovating the runway.

&#65533; Lake Hood Airport -- $800,000 to extend and widen the runway safety area.

&#65533; Cold Bay Airport -- $600,000 to acquire aircraft rescue and firefighting equipment.

&#65533; St. George Airport -- $500,000 to pave the runway.

In addition, a total of $1.3 million in discretionary funds was granted to the Alaska Department of Transportation and Public Facilities for runway rehabilitation projects at the 27 general aviation and commercial service airports in Alaska.

Also, a $1.2 million grant was awarded to improve airport security at the following airports: James C. Johnson Petersburg, Barrow, Bethel, Cold Bay, Cordova, Dillingham, Deadhorse, Ketchikan, King Salmon, Kodiak, Kotzebue, Nome, Sitka, Unalaska, Valdez, Wrangell and Yakutat.

The grants announced today come from the Airport Improvement Program of the U.S. Department of Transportation&#65533;s Federal Aviation Administration.

</div></div>

I guess the moral of this is you get nicer,safer airports but if you get shot in your own home dont expect a fast reaction time?????? Maybe im not looking at the big picture but all i know is what i see and thats my entire academy class minus myself and one other are jobless. We made a switch in my department to where we now dont have a 24hr police service and sometimes not one at all on sundays(because crime takes sundays off) and we have voice mailboxes overflowing with calls for service.

Zero funds for the entire state of OK. Just another shell game to stuff the coffers of those in power.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Didnt Clinton try this too, by the way? I seem to remember grant money getting passed around for hiring - and then a lot of those smaller agencies had to layoff the officers once the grant money ran out and they couldnt afford them anymore.</div></div>
us old farts remember this, we became contractors

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iron prowler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy your own individual equipment.

Each officer can go through his department bean counter to do so.

Its a tax write off.
</div></div>

Yeah, dipshit. Small town guys can afford this on their salaries. Scroll back up and take a look at that guys fuckin salary. You think he can afford a bunch of new gear on that salary?

This post was right up there with your other post showing you for what you really are - full of shit:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iron prowler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">wearing a <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">special forces tab</span></span></span> while in the US military only meant I was assigned to that unit...</div></div>

Go back to your mothers basement. Adults are talking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iron prowler</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If that doesnt work, theres always mall security:
http://www.sonypictures.com/homevideo/paulblartmallcop/index.html
</div></div>

Not funny.........

Unless...........
You are one

If all you have to say are disrespectful comments like these toward LEO and Millitary, you should consider Shaggy's advise.
smile.gif

Less than $26,000 a year to work shifts, fight with drunks, druggies and put your life on the line!

B.S.

My first job out of high school was in a large automotive warehouse. One day while hauling out the paper(before recycling)to the dumpsters. Low and behold there is a printout of what everyone in the whole warehouse was making. That would have been about 1972-74 and i'm guessing that I would have been making about $800 a month. The senior manager of the whole division(100 employees)was only making $2000 a month. I knew there was no future there and quit a month later.

You owe yourself and your family better. Move to a State where they appreciate what you bring to the table or find a different line of work. Don't even think about it, that pay($26000) is for the highest paid position.

You should go to Florida or California I'm sure they must pay twice that.

Tasers Hurt, take some of the advice offered above, if you don,t have to much time vested in your current agency, try to lateral somewhere else. Here in the northwest, money and benefits are good, you just have to deal with the political bs, which does drive folks way, but crime isn't that bad and it aint a bad place to raise a family.

Congress To Spend $200 Million For Private Travel
Lawmakers Sign Off On Buying 3 Gulfstream Jets Worth $65 Million Each To Fly Government Officials Around The World
Got A Concern? Send It To Jay Levine Reporting
Jay Levine CHICAGO (CBS)

In these tough times, everyone's cutting back on travel expenses. Everyone, except maybe Congress. Your lawmakers just signed off on buying three new Gulfstream jets. CBS 2 Chief Correspondent Jay Levine reports that we're talking about a $200 million price tag.

Two hundred million dollars used to sound like a lot of money. Though in these days of billion dollar bailouts, it's not quite as dramatic. But that's how much members of Congress, who preside over an economy every bit as shaky as the companies they're bailing out, have decided to spend for their own comfort and convenience.

The corporate jet touching down Wednesday night at the old Palwaukee, now Chicago Executive Airport in Wheeling, is one of dozens in and out every day; though operations here are down 25 percent this year.

In one hangar alone, more than $60 million worth of aircraft, owned by a well-known Chicago corporation, sits idle far more of the time this year than in the past. The reason?

"When average working people see an executive using an airplane, and they hear Congress and the president talking about the fat cats, you become one and the same," said Charles Priester of Priester Aviation.

Remember the congressional hearing where auto execs flew in on their corporate jets to beg for bailouts?

"It's almost like seeing a guy show up at the soup kitchen in a high hat and tuxedo," said New York Rep. Gary Ackerman in November 2008.

Pretty tough talk from lawmakers who we've now learned have just authorized buying three of these $65 million Gulfstream 550 jets to fly them and other government officials around the country and the world. Each carries between 10 and 15 people, and can fly non-stop to China.

"It's a double standard," Priester said. "It's an absolute double standard."

Priester is diplomatic. He still believes private aircrafts are good for business and government when used properly to help executives be more efficient.

Others we spoke with feel congressmen were out of line.

"It's crazy, it's ridiculous," one woman said. "They get away with too many things."

"We're in a recession and they want to buy jet planes?" a man said.

"So many people are suffering and in poverty, so many people have been laid off, I don't understand it," said Chicagoan Tolu Babalola.

"Why can't they fly coach like everybody else? Or maybe business class," one man said.

Chicago area congressmen Jesse Jackson, Jr. and Mark Kirk are members of the committee which approved the purchase. Jackson didn't return repeated phone calls asking about the planes. Mark Kirk did, telling us the planes were hidden earmarks he never knew about.

"Number one, I think it violated the rules of the House to do it," Kirk said. "Number two, Congress does not need a new expensive set of executive jets, and number three, when we meet again as a committee, I will offer the amendment to rescind this money."

It appears the planes were secretly inserted into the bill by two congressmen from Georgia, a Democrat and a Republican, who took the Pentagon's request for one new plane to be used in Africa, added two more, and required they be based in Washington, D.C.

And the operating costs are only http://www.corporatejet.com/documents/GulfstreamG550.pdf

The short version is $16,500 per hour or $19.40 per mile.

Wonder why there is no money for LE?

Very serious question for LE folks:

Why have none of you pushed hard toward privitization of your services? It seems to me you guys are effectively slaves because of your field, are stepped on by the public, used as the number two political tool(to schools) as the first funding to get yanked by officials. I can't think of another job that only exists within gov't confines.

I can see the arguments that would be made, but I would think that it would be an easy public sell that you can call 911 for a public traffic infraction official, or call 912 when you need skilled enforcement and saving. Let's say the premium is $10 per month. At 400 households/officer, You could make much better than 26K, and know just about everyone you serve.

The public won't bring this battle to you, but I think you could easily sway the public into forcing their legislatures into dismantling any legal obstacles, especially in times where budgets are completely blown at every level. Folks will directly give their 10 dollars for uninterupted safety far sooner than throw more taxes into the pie. And they will demand safety before all the other things they pay for outside of food and shelter. The time is right to do yourselves a solid, jacking your pay, and getting out from under the thumb of unions and politicos.

I don't think the politicians would go for that bug sniper, they actually enacted an ordinance here in Seattle that prohibited the Police Department for gathering intelligence of a religious, political, type nature. Certain types of intelligence can be collected but it has to be disclosed, so at certain times, such as when Ahmed Ressam crossed the border, federal agencies wouldn't tell Seattle PD what they knew because the intelligence ordinance would have forced the Dept to reveal it. Luckily we have a strong Officers guild here and we do pretty well, I just couldn't imagine working this job in a right to work state and having no bargaining power or rights for that matter.

Hang in there fella's...

I am in the same boat at my state agency in GA.

Thats why graduation is RIGHT AROUND THE CORNER for my Masters..

Its time for "POLITICS".... Its going to be funny to see how far I make it in the political game as I have never ran for any office.....

That being said... i am tired of people making decisions that have no FUC$ING clue as to what the job description is.

Wish me luck... I will be calling on you all VERY soon.

Matt M

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BugSniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Why have none of you pushed hard toward privitization of your services? </div></div>

I did. It was called contracting in the sandbox. It just trades one set of problems for another. Im happy with this set of problems.

He needs to move agencies.

Now, I must say, HE is the guy that I want to work with. He's out there walking through shit every night for that kind of money? He's the guy I want to hire. No one stays in this job for that kind of scratch unless they truely love what they do and are dedicated to helping people. To me, that is a hell of a testament to him as an officer. But, its time to get somewhere that can help you pay for retirement, pay for your kids college, put a roof that you own over your fam's heads, and (Im betting) has better equipment and training.