• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what to expect: WLR to CCI-BR2

Wally Pinkerton

Private
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2014
Found some BR-2's, I am curious what to expect switching from WLR's. I.e. velocity change, p.o.i. shift, consistency, better groups? (I'm really hoping to drop the flyer in my 5 shot groups)

.308 win
43.2g varget
24" bbl 1/10 twist
(Best group is a .330" center to center, 5 shot)

I have a bunch of br2s and wlrs and have not seen any noticeable difference in velocity or consistency. Some folks seem to have had issues with some older lots of the wlrs (misfires) but I have I have not seen this in the lots Ive had.

My 308 and 260 loads were noticeably faster and less consistent with WLR primers vs CCI 200's(same as BR2, I have both). Velocity difference in some loads was 30 fps, wouldn't have guessed that much from a primer. I prefer the CCI's.

My 308 and 260 loads were noticeably faster and less consistent with WLR primers vs CCI 200's(same as BR2, I have both). Velocity difference in some loads was 30 fps, wouldn't have guessed that much from a primer. I prefer the CCI's.

Which powders are you using?

Sorry, should have included: Varget and IMR8208 XBR in the 308, Varget and H4350 in the 260.
The one with the 30 FPS boost was IMR 8208 with 155 VLD's.

Also: ES/SD numbers doubled in the 260 switching to WLR. Varget loads were also affected in 308, but don't have notes in front of me now to say how much. Seem to remember in the 260 ES went from <20 to >50.

My experience was basically that going to WLR primers screwed up good established (for me) loads. It's a sample of one lot of Winchester primers though.

Last edited:
They seem (WLR) a little warmer then others and may have increased FPS very slightly.

I can still work up a load that flat out shoots, its not the primer

Traditionally, primers have the least effect on a load, there are always exceptions...........................

Here's a pic of a target that I shot. Exact same load top one with WLRs bottom with BR2s

Hope yours works out a better.

WIN LR primer is about the hottest standard primer out there. BR2 in my experience gives a little less velocity along with lower ES and SD numbers. The lower ES and SD numbers will be more apparent at 600 and beyond. The lower the numbers are usually means less vertical dispersion in groups.