• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing what to fill void between sxs barrels with?

GrantA

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2010
Thomasville, GA USA
I just got a new-to-me Stevens 311 Series H which has had the barrels cut to 20". The cut looks good, but there's an open void between the barrels and I need to put something on the end to keep rust away (raw steel where cut, has just been kept oiled and in a safe w/ dehumidifier). Should I use something like devcon or JB weld and then what should I use as a coating?
What say the experts?

Thanks!
Grant

All sorts of things you could use to fill it. I've seen a number of guns that have a steel-putty epoxy mashed in the filed/sanded flush; they end up looking almost like a solder fill. Or, if you want to do it right, cut and fit a small piece of steel slightly undersized, then soft solder it into the end and file flush.
The barrels on 311s are silver soldered so you could even use a higher temp soft solder like Hi-force 44 to solder it in.