• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to learn more

sticky117

Private
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2012
I'd like to learn more about ballistics and precision shooting at long ranges. I've been shooting and hunting all my life so I know a bit, but I'd like to learn more about the long stuff. Anyone got a recommendation on a few good books to check out?

Thanks,

Re: What to learn more

Try to download Army FM 3-22.9 (Basic Rifle Marksmanship) read through positions and fundamentals.

Note: all positions are modifiable to what is most comfortable to you - even the FM recommends it.

Then try to download the Sniper Training FM for some good fundamentals on ranging and positions. Some of this stuff may be a bitch to find. if you have issues, send me an email and i'll send you a PDF for one. Include what rifles you have and i'll send along any applicable Technical manuals for them.

Or you can always message me and i'll assist you in anything you want to know about shooting.

sticky, there are a number of good books and manuals the BRM is good, also 23-10 (sniper training manual) can be very helpful. For snipers and sniper craft, The Ultimate sniper is very comprehensive but expensive ($60). For just ballistics, Understanding firearm ballistics is pretty informative but you'll need lots of coffee and red bull to keep falling asleep.
After you do a little reading and your starting to grasp some of the concepts track down a school near you and look into some professional instruction, where do you live?. The long range discipline of shooting is especially tricky and a good instructor has ways some simplifying the information as well and tuning in your shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sticky, there are a number of good books and manuals the BRM is good, also 23-10 (sniper training manual) can be very helpful. For snipers and sniper craft, The Ultimate sniper is very comprehensive but expensive ($60). For just ballistics, Understanding firearm ballistics is pretty informative but you'll need lots of coffee and red bull to keep falling asleep.
After you do a little reading and your starting to grasp some of the concepts track down a school near you and look into some professional instruction, where do you live?. The long range discipline of shooting is especially tricky and a good instructor has ways some simplifying the information as well and tuning in your shooting. </div></div>

well worded

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">sticky, there are a number of good books and manuals the BRM is good, also 23-10 (sniper training manual) </div></div>

What does BRM stand for and where can I find them?

thanks for the help guys

good find. those should help out. BRM stands for Basic Rifle Marksmanship

Great info. I was wondering the same thing and luckily did a search before I doubled the post. Thanks!