• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What to look for in a lathe

zack-s

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2008
Ohio
Browsing criags list ive found several for sale close by. Just looking for something to play with in my free time. Maybe make some bolt knobs for my rifle or form 1 a suppressor if im any good with it. Are the mini lathes worth a crap or go with a mid sized one? What brands should I stay away from?

Re: What to look for in a lathe

Try hgr industrial surplus This place is in cleveland. The inventory changes frequently,check out this one As far as what to look for a 1.5" ish hole in the headstock is about the min. and a headstock lenght that will allow a barrel to stick out both ends is nice. If you get a used machine try to find a tooled machine tooling cost adds up quick. Im sending a pm

All depends on what you want to do. The bench tops are good for small jobs and hobby work. Not really a gunsmith lathe. I had a smithy lathe and quickly decided that it was not what I needed. I found a used Sharp 1560S used in good shape at a local machine shop and have been very happy with it. I had to buy a 3phase converter but it was worth it if I ever get a larger bridgeport mill.

if you want a lathe thats worth a crap and big enough to do something get a grizzly g4003g lathe, just remember if you start doing chambers you will spend more money on tooling then you did on a lathe.