• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to put in a trailer toolbox?

Flyinghunter

Civil War 2.0 participation trophy winner
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2010
South
www.snipershide.com
Just installed an angular tool box on my 14' utility trailer. It's about 2'x3' and 2ft tall. Now to fill it but I'd like the SH team to help me ensure I don't forget something important.
Here's my list so far:
1. Tie Down Straps
2. 4 star lug wrench (Trailer has a spare tire on frame mount)
3. Wheel chocks
4. Duck Tape or as we say in the South..."Alabama Chrome"
5. Work gloves
6. Safety glasses
7. Tow strap w hooks

Additional Recommendations?

covering 80% of all emergencies
1673736145706.png

and nothing says safe like a good cold 24 pack of your beer of choice ice cold .
1673736266796.png

and a good blanket to keep you warm ( a pillow is a nice touch cause we are not animals )

Zip ties. Pliers, screwdriver, crescent wrench, gloves, road flares, flashlight, rope, all cheapo harbor freight shit, so your not out a lot when it gets pried open. I think northern tool has a tool box alarm.

Good point! My F150 has the standard issue jack. It's a weak piece of Chinesium.
Discussing this reminds me... Somebody took the cheap crappy scissor jack out of my Jeep and didn't put it back.

I'll probably get a flat on the way to buy a new jack. Cause that's my life.

Mike

Reactions: Flyinghunter
Zip ties. Pliers, screwdriver, crescent wrench, gloves, road flares, flashlight, rope, all cheapo harbor freight shit, so your not out a lot when it gets pried open. I think northern tool has a tool box alarm.
A neon sign transformer... They'll still be stuck to it when you come out in the morning.

Just a heads up though... Some DA's might start throwing around words like "manslaughter" or "premeditated" if some piece of shit tries his luck with your toolbox.

Mike

3300lbs or larger JackBoss scissor jack

4000lbs Strap come along

4 cans of large tire fixaflat or similar

2 lengths of good chain

2-3 good pad locks (keyed alike)

Small Shovel

tire repair kit.
tools that would be needed to replace a wheel bearing on the side of the road.

Not only the tools, but I recommend a spare hub with pre-greased bearings. All set up and ready to install. The hub can be mounted as part of the spare tire system.

Gloves, jack, rags, spare cotter pins, flashlight, reflective triangles and a few tie down straps or a roll of quality rope.

Good pliers and tie wire.

Like(ish) items in milk crates so you can lift out groups instead of digging to the bottom every time.

Gallon of patience. In a leak proof container or it will be gone when you really need it.

Thank you,
MrSmith.

Some stand up reflectors or road flares.....you'll need em.
A smallish tarp so you don't have to lay in the dirt/mud/gravel/snow the next time you need to get under one of the vehicles.
Rope, full on climbing rope, at least 1500 lb test and at least 30 foot long.
A few spare lug nuts and some random common sized bolts/nuts/washers.
A roll of baling wire or a few coat hangers, works on those places tie straps won't.
A quart of oil for the tow vehicle.
A gallon of water.
Trans fluid.
A spare fan belt.
Random hoseclamps.

That's about what I carry in mine.....along with the jack and jackstands mentioned above.
I keep a smaller toolbox with the obligatory tools in my tow vehicle.

I have 3 safety reflectors 1/2in socket set 30" piece of pipe to increase the 2ft breaker bar length. I have both a spare 2500# winch and 3 ton come alongs x2 home depot firm grip gloves in the red yellow grey 3 pak. spare hub and 3 files in case I need to clean up the spindle. Jacks, Use to carry a small bottle jack now carry 2 scissor jacks a 12" square 3/4" plate to put it on. I have a compressor in my truck another option is an old prpane tank to fill with air if your off the beaten path. PB Blaster or Kroil to break stuff loose not off. Things I have in the truck Head lamp and 4d cell mag light. Can also be used for a bat if needed. A set of coverals under my seat

Haha. No.

It is inexpensive, small, and would always be with the trailer. And it should be enough for a small utility trailer. Have changed pickup tires with one on several occasions.

Just installed an angular tool box on my 14' utility trailer. It's about 2'x3' and 2ft tall. Now to fill it but I'd like the SH team to help me ensure I don't forget something important.
Here's my list so far:
1. Tie Down Straps
2. 4 star lug wrench (Trailer has a spare tire on frame mount)
3. Wheel chocks
4. Duck Tape or as we say in the South..."Alabama Chrome"
5. Work gloves
6. Safety glasses
7. Tow strap w hooks

Additional Recommendations?

Screwdrivers/pliers/cheap socket set/allen wrenches/electrical tester/maybe a can or two of fix a flat or a little compressor

Reactions: geek65
Pardon me but how about ...Tools?

Zip ties and a good side cutter. Forget the tow strap with steel hooks and buy the ones with loops. Those hooks come flying 300mph at your window-vehicle when the strap breaks.

Zip ties and a good side cutter. Forget the tow strap with steel hooks and buy the ones with loops. Those hooks come flying 300mph at your window-vehicle when the strap breaks.
Roger that. I have one of the only "made in the USA" straps I could find, with loops, no steel hooks. I bought a Factor 55 strap based on recommendations from the fine folks of SH. IMHO...worth the extra coin.

Somehow I knew that this was going to be a shit show.
Fucking put everything you own in it and then what your neighbor has that you don't.
As @sirhrmechanic said. If you need to give away your stuff put it in there. Someone is sure to thank you for it.
Don't put anything in there that you don't need for the immediate use of the trailer.

Reactions: oneshot86
A second spare tire. Generally the biggest issue I've had with trailers. Never needed a second spare, but have had several flats because trailer tires suck. Certainly a plug kit and some type of compressor or pump for air.

I carry some emergency tire valves in my truck too. Never needed one but...

71KrWVIe4fL.jpg