• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What to take Elk Hunting in Wyoming this Fall?

GUNNER75

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Jun 29, 2005
    SW KS
    Fellas, I have a problem.......

What do I take Elk Hunting this fall in Wyoming? I got lucky as hell and drew a Special Bull Permit.

These are my immediate options.

Sako TRG42 (225 Accubond handloads running a mild 2845fps)
    (also have 250gr SMK running 2935fps)
    Leupold 8.5x25x50

Remington SPS in 300WSM, adjusted trigger, bedded stock, shoots very well with Winchester Grey box 150gr.
    Leupold VXII 3x9 (would like to swap it for 4.5-14x40)

I also have a 300WM 700P that needs stocked, scoped, etc.

No loading supplies for the 300WSM or 300WM.

Love to shoot one with the .338LM, but it isn't the handiest rig out there. Originally thought I would take this and an AR for the yotes as I love to call.

Will probably tote two rigs to Wyoming. What would you take.

Re: What to take Elk Hunting in Wyoming this Fall?

OPEN country. Private Land and lots of it.

Season is Oct 22nd to Nov 1st. Give or take a day or so.

Wade,

Where will you be at exactly? I think any of the 3 choices you mentioned would/will be just fine.

North of Rawlins there is Nine mile tower. From there it is North and to the West maybe 15 miles or so. I don't know the exact size of the land, but know it is private owned and is quite large (maybe 12,000 acres plus????

Beem a bit since i've been down to Rawlins, but its mostly open and flat. I reckon the Elk you will see there are part of the herd that roll down off of Green Mountain. There are some big fuckers up there. Never hunted that area thou.

Given the terrain thou, you'll be able to long if you want.

Hope that helps.

I've only been there once and what we laid eyes on were impressive, and yes at a good distance in all cases. 500ish.

We did stumble on a group of bulls when we traveled over to the red desert to take a look at the land. 200yrds away, every bull was very nice. Awesome country for sure.

Range estimation kicked my butt on that trip. Them horns were always a bit further than I thought! Going to have to get my act together when I get there.

I am leaning on the 338LM and the 300WSM for a second gun. May rescope the 300WSM to at least a 14power.

Wade, I got Area 100.

I hope you enjoy your trip here dude!
    laugh.gif
    I have no doubt you will have a good time.

118, couldn't remember the area's. Just next door, but 100 is a huge area!

My advice is start loading the 300wizzum.

I'm gonna guess the twist is 12.

AB's or the MRX in the 150-180 class driven fast should do all you need.

Those Elk need water and cover. Find it and you should be good.

I've never pounded that are abut I have heard there are some biguns roaming there...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fellas, I have a problem.......

What do I take Elk Hunting this fall in Wyoming? I got lucky as hell and drew a Special Bull Permit.

These are my immediate options.

Sako TRG42 (225 Accubond handloads running a mild 2845fps)
    (also have 250gr SMK running 2935fps)
    Leupold 8.5x25x50

Remington SPS in 300WSM, adjusted trigger, bedded stock, shoots very well with Winchester Grey box 150gr.
    Leupold VXII 3x9 (would like to swap it for 4.5-14x40)

I also have a 300WM 700P that needs stocked, scoped, etc.

No loading supplies for the 300WSM or 300WM.

Love to shoot one with the .338LM, but it isn't the handiest rig out there. Originally thought I would take this and an AR for the yotes as I love to call.

Will probably tote two rigs to Wyoming. What would you take.

</div></div>

Well the first thing that came to mind was an anvil. Bud you are packing way too heavy. If you want to take two guns take a handgun something you will have on you even if you lean the rifle against a tree while you clean your kill, probably a 44 mag (wolves cougars bears do hear the dinner bell ring when you shoot). Take either of the 300 s the wm or the wsm. As for optics I think it is time to upgrade. An 8.5-25x50 has a 5.88 mm exit eye pupil and 7mm is bright. I will suggest a couple of scopes for you to consider. Leupold FX3 6x42mm Long Range Duplex which if zeroed at 200 would give you dots for hold over at 300 and 400 and where the post goes thin to thick below would be about 500 but test it on the range. and Super Sniper 3-9x42 with mil mil FFP. If you want to dial in correction the SS is awesome for $599.95 it smokes everyting else up to about twice the price. As you probably know balistic reticle fail to work at any power except the maximum power of the scope. What happens when it gets dark is you have to dial down the power to about 6x with a 42mm to brighten up the image. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-9x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P41044.aspx the other scope I would look at is Trijicons TR22 2.5-10x56 or the TR23 5-20x50 with tactical knobs (only has 50 moa of internal adjustment so select a plus 20 moa base not a plus 30).
    If you hunt from horseback and carry a rifle in a scabbard type saddle holster dont buy a scope with tall tactical knobs they can be damaged by that use. If you must have a 4.5-14 then look at Leupold's new CDS custom dial system - they will engrave the knob to dial in correction according to your bullet of choice info. Other things you need to take should include basic survival gear indluding arial flares & whistle like one would take in a boat, water, fire, food, knife, shelter space blanket etc. You dont have to pack the kitchen sink but you should have enough to keep you going a couple of days should you become accidentally injured. Take an extra pair of socks and a small can or two of pineapple. Good luck hunting.

I would not want to carry the .338 in cover, but if you see a nice bull at 900 yards across the sage, you may kick yourself for leaving it at home.

Make sure you have good tire chains and a shovel. You don't want to be wishing you had them. Where are you staying? Camping out or staying in Rawlins? How are you planning on getting your elk out?

Whichever one you can shoot the best!
    Take the 300 WM. Get a good 200 yard zero and shoot the hell out of it prior to going. KNOW where it shoots from 50 to 400 yards. Make sure you can shoot 2 minutes out to 400 yards.
    Shoot 160's or 180's, the 180 accubond or partition do a great job.. whichever it likes. Scope: 3-9, 4-12, 4-14, just make sure it will hold up to the recoil.
    Coyotes get shot all the time with 300 WM's. Don't worry about a second rifle.
    Make sure you check the zero when you get to Wyoming. There will be a range somewhere that you can use! Hate to miss the elk of a lifetime because your zero shifted in route.

Get a rangefinder that will read an elk or deer to 400 yards. Things look different when you are hunting elk in unfamiliar country. Tracking a wounded bull elk in the roughs SUCKS!!

A GREAT pair of binoculars will serve you very well along with a smaller spotting scope. A good fanny pack or light backpack with plenty of water to carry it all in.

Talk to the landowners PRIOR to showing up. Know where you are going to hunt and have permission. If going to Forest Service land, make sure of the access.
    Have a frame pack to get the elk out unless you are using a guide or plan to hire a local to pack it out for you.

Have FUN and enjoy the trip, Good luck and good hunting.!!!

My father in law is pretty much the guide. He's been hunting out there for 12 yrs or better. He is pretty tight with the landowner.

Have the 300WSM scoped with simple set up. Just restocked the 300WM and ordered a base for it today. 338LM is on standby. Will shoot the shit out of primary and secondary prior to heading out, then double check when arrive.

This is his camp from a couple years ago nearby where we are camping this year.
    100_1888.jpg

100_1889.jpg

100_1912.jpg

100_1891.jpg

Was planning on taking this, but he keeps insisting it will not be needed. (This pic is from Colorado btw)
    IMG_1508.jpg

Looks great!
    Listen to father in law
    Burn powder prior to leaving
    Great Bino's
    HAVE A GREAT TIME!!

300 wsm has served me well since 2005. I have killed several elk and deer with 165 and 180 grain Nosler Partitions. I run a 3.5-10x44 Zeiss Conquest for my scope. Great reliablity with no issues. Any higher power than this requires a parallex feature, which is a pain in the ass when hunting. The 300 wsm should also be a shade lighter than the 300 wm with all things considered.

Good luck on your hunt.

set up is OK but waddya do if it rains/Snows? Your pretty close to sleeping on the ground. No "rain gutter" around the tent. I'd consider visqueen(sp) over the top as well.

I couple cots wouldn't hurt. A few simple extra thing might make the set up a bit more solid. I say this only because you've been in the same spot for a couple of years.

A ridge pole would be recommended, as well as some post and rails for the side to tie off too. See pic.

DSC01284Small.jpg

If you are gonna be there year after year you can leave this stuff ( ridge poles etc.),there and it'll blend without looking like you made an impact.

Just a thought.

suggest a few thngs ,
    get a back pack / water pack set up
    in the mountains you need water if on foot at all . I have been mostly traditional bow hunting at about 10,000 feet and you go thru water like a fish.
    second take the 338 lapua but do not over scope it like 3.2 x 17 or similar
    most improtant is good binocs. 10 x 42 suggested.
    this will be the best rtrip you have ever been on
    Enjoy it
    B ill

Ditto on the hydration pack, and also get one of the small water pump purifiers. I drink water all day and top off at any stream. The pump weighs about what a pint of water does.

1911fan

Water is good, the mini purifiers work well. Great suggestion.

I would suggest more than water however. Go to a back packing or "greenie" store and look for the electrolyte tablets. I use these mixed with a bit of tang. Sugar, "C" and electrolytes. You'll be motivated most of the day. I often if not all the time also supplement the diet with Vitamin B during the hunting trips.

WTF... Have the last few posters even looked at his pictures? He's not backpacking, running an outfitted camp, or climbing the mountains. He's driving up in a truck, pitching a tent with carpet and heaters in it, and hunting in completely open, relatively flat ground.

Reading is fundamental.....

LOL. BTW, I would rather sleep on the ground than on an air mattress! I will be taking a new XL cot to this sleepover. Get me off the ground!

Why Charles yes I have.

Flat ground. Exactly why I asked about rain. Tends to puddle on flat ground.

Ridge Pole and side poles and posts will increase stability should it get windy or a storm comes in.

Easily transported by truck.

The tips of the hydration and things I put in my water were just some information I thought I'd share that helps a bit when ya get tired from hunting afoot. Extra vitamin B is just a good fucking thing to have when exerting a lot of energy. Just trying to help a bit is all.

Please tell me about your experience camping/hunting adventures in the fall/early winter, out west, specifically wyoming. Where the wind fucking blows (especially atop a ridge such as the picture depicts) and the weather changes by the minute.

And to the original poster.

Try some astro turf sold at home depot for "carpet" just outside the tent opening and down the middle of the sleeping quarters.
    Mud/dirt comes off easily outside the tent. Dirt,dust and moisture tend to "sink" in the astro turf keeping it away from you feet/socks inside the tent. The stuff is cheap at HD.

Hey fellas, I greatly appreciate the input.

FWIW, the set up in the pics above was for a 3 day scout camp (was late August/Sept. I don't have pics of it, but when it comes to elk camp, the floor set up is different.

All I can think about is going! Shot a great buck here in KS last year, and would really like to knock out a nice bull elk. May not be my idea of the perfect Elk hunt, but should be an awesome time. I always wanted the horseback/mountain hunt.

I know the last couple of years have treated them ok as far as getting in and out, but with the so called "cool/wet" year, well, I just hope I can get in. Don't give a shit about getting out. He packs for the worst and then some. The only thing I really don't have is a set of tire chains. Sort of hate to drop the coin on a set especially coming from KS. Just don't use them here. I have a set of 15" chains that have never been used.

The more I think about it, when we went up to scout years back, we did see several on ATV's. Not a ton of people, but quite a few. There is a chance I may be there all week. One of those days I will have the place to myself. I would like to take it to just run around and call coyotes. Does anyone that hunts this area or similar run a 4 wheeler/UTV?

Great ideas. Like the astro turf. You can NEVER have to much water. Shelter, sleep, water, and food in that order if I remember right.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why Charles yes I have.

Flat ground. Exactly why I asked about rain. Tends to puddle on flat ground.

Ridge Pole and side poles and posts will increase stability should it get windy or a storm comes in.

Easily transported by truck.

The tips of the hydration and things I put in my water were just some information I thought I'd share that helps a bit when ya get tired from hunting afoot. Extra vitamin B is just a good fucking thing to have when exerting a lot of energy. Just trying to help a bit is all.

Please tell me about your experience camping/hunting adventures in the fall/early winter, out west, specifically wyoming. Where the wind fucking blows (especially atop a ridge such as the picture depicts) and the weather changes by the minute.

And to the original poster.

Try some astro turf sold at home depot for "carpet" just outside the tent opening and down the middle of the sleeping quarters.
    Mud/dirt comes off easily outside the tent. Dirt,dust and moisture tend to "sink" in the astro turf keeping it away from you feet/socks inside the tent. The stuff is cheap at HD.</div></div>

Hell why not get a Barrett 50 and a swivel mount on the ATV. that would be real "hunting"?

The area you drew is not "flat". There are plenty of opportunities for "spot and stalk". People who advocate shooting at any big game at 1000 yards are assholes (Just my $.02).

Taking two rifles, being able to hit a 6" pie plate off an improvised rest at 300 yards and getting in shape is what you need to do.

Keep hydrated, use the ATV to get to the area, not to chase game
    (as do far too many out here) and enjoy a rare draw.

Good hunting!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The area you drew is not "flat". There are plenty of opportunities for "spot and stalk". People who advocate shooting at any big game at 1000 yards are assholes (Just my $.02).</div></div>

Read Larry... where his tent is, is flat.... should we retype it slower...stellar for a publisher. hehe

1000 is close for that area... with all the ridges and valleys.. a guy could poke one well beyond 1000. Not with a barnes though. I'm jus' sayin'

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weda'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    DSC01284Small.jpg

</div></div>

Wow talk about a half assed set up.Tents with wood burning stoves right on top of each other,so when one starts on fire they all go up in flames.That can only be topped by placing all your tents in the middle of a bunch of dead timber waiting to fall,which in looking at your photo you've managed do that also.That must of been the hot set up in all your vast experience of the elks fork.

But I hear they sell astroturf and .5mil plastic cheap at home depot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey fellas, I greatly appreciate the input.

FWIW, the set up in the pics above was for a 3 day scout camp (was late August/Sept. I don't have pics of it, but when it comes to elk camp, the floor set up is different.

All I can think about is going! Shot a great buck here in KS last year, and would really like to knock out a nice bull elk. May not be my idea of the perfect Elk hunt, but should be an awesome time. I always wanted the horseback/mountain hunt.

I know the last couple of years have treated them ok as far as getting in and out, but with the so called "cool/wet" year, well, I just hope I can get in. Don't give a shit about getting out. He packs for the worst and then some. The only thing I really don't have is a set of tire chains. Sort of hate to drop the coin on a set especially coming from KS. Just don't use them here. I have a set of 15" chains that have never been used.

The more I think about it, when we went up to scout years back, we did see several on ATV's. Not a ton of people, but quite a few. There is a chance I may be there all week. One of those days I will have the place to myself. I would like to take it to just run around and call coyotes. Does anyone that hunts this area or similar run a 4 wheeler/UTV? </div></div>

Atv's are fine it's the assholes that run cross country with them that are the problem.There's no sense tearing up a pick up when you can run the same roads on an atv in half the time.And with half the physical abuse to yourself,the truck and the road.

Don't worry about tire chains.That gumbo shit that you'll be in requires a tire lug that cleans out.Chains won't help that.But they will rip the shit out of the ground and do more damage then any atv.Have good tires on your truck period.

Bring one rifle that you can shoot accurately and that you're willing to carry for miles.Don't worry about coyotes,you'll have your hands full filling the elk tag and I'm sure none of the rest of your party is interested in having you blasting away while they're trying to hunt elk.Coyotes aren't worth a shit anyway so shoot them with whatever you're elk hunting with if they give you a shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Taking two rifles, being able to hit a 6" pie plate off an improvised rest at 300 yards and getting in shape is what you need to do.</div></div>

Why would you assume he is not in shape? Why would you assume he can't hold 2 MOA? Curious...

If you 'd have spent time in a camp you'd know the dining tent usually always is next to the cook tent.

+1 And if you spent much time off the pavement in Wyoming in late October you would know the value of tire chains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cinch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1 And if you spent much time off the pavement in Wyoming in late October you would know the value of tire chains. </div></div>

I've no doubt that a campbell county cocksucker would have vast experience in tearing up roads with chains,where no chains are needed.

I do have a 50, but no mount for the ATV. Hmmmmmmm?

Shape? I got some to me that is for sure. Would like a lot less of it. I think this is the only issue on my end at this point.

go with your gut and take what you are confident in.

+1 on the getting in shape. I wish I would have 3 years ago. When I go again I will dedicate at least a year's worth of serious cardio. My last trip was not as enjoyable as it could have been.

Just take one gun. All you'll need.

I thought if you had an out of state tag for Wyoming that you had to use a guide or guide service. Correct me if I am wrong.

Eddie

make damn sure you pack a fishing rod in your saddle scabbard as well... You never know when you might have to off some trout while atop a plow pony.... <grin>

Good luck Wade!

Wil,

What, you don't fish for Elk. Rifles are so over rated while Elk hunting. I like about a 15' 20 weight with about a 10 lb braided tipped. I tie a fancy fly made from the hair around the cows pussy.

I think these threads are funny, I have used a .308 for elk since I was just a kid in Oregon. I have never had to shoot one more than once and never had to track it more than 50yds or so. But just to be fair, I bought my wife a 300 win mag for elk last year, now in my very own experience I have learned that folks who jump to larger calibers are trying to take up the slack for bullet placement and put it on a heavier bullet thinking this will solve the accuracy problem. I am not saying that anyone in here is a bad shot but what I am saying is that my .308 with 185gr. Winchester Silver Tips have dropped its fair share of large game without problem or hesitation. The nice thing about shooting today is the immense selection of reloading components as well as availability of premium factory big game ammo. Try some factory loaded ammo with Barnes bullets first. You might be amazed at the accuracy (and the price). Here's how I view the situation, if I was spend all this money on Elk Camp and the hunt why not spend the $40 for premium ammo? IMO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GUNNER75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">North of Rawlins there is Nine mile tower. From there it is North and to the West maybe 15 miles or so. I don't know the exact size of the land, but know it is private owned and is quite large (maybe 12,000 acres plus???? </div></div>

Just got back from that area on a fishing trip and all I can say is something that you can PACK ... light is the key at that altitude