• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what to trust?

o1sick7

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2009
utah
ok. i have a rcbs 5.10 scale and i also have a smart reloader digital scale. and the digital is always vary consistant. butthe manual scale is always telling me a different reading. for example if i am loading for the .270 in 130 granes. im loading 47 granes. and the digital. always reads between 46.9 and 47. but the rcbs will read 48 sometimes and 45 others. so im lost i dont know what to trust.any thoughts?

Re: what to trust?

Clean the pivots and bearings on the 5-10 with an alcohol-saturated Q-tip. If that doesn't fix it, get in touch with <span style="font-style: italic">sparker</span> (Scott parker) at the Accurate Shooter (formerly 6mm BR) forum. He'll fix you up very reasonably. Says the 5-10 is his favorite scale.

I have a 5-10 and Lyman and an old Bonanza. There is .3 grains difference between them but with the test weight they are all the same. around 55 grains I find .3grains difference

I had an old beam scale that was "off" no matter what I did or tried. I just knew it was a little, and adjusted my charge to fit my new correct scales. So, if 55 grains is 54.9 on your new on, then adjust your charge to this.

I use a set calibration weights in gr. several companies offer them in gr. to check scales.

well my smart loader came with a 50 gr. weight. to calibrate. and i tryed to claibrate it. but it read 45.6 after i used just some electrical air duster. but i will try the alch cleaning. i got the scale from a member of the hide. what i was wondering if rcbs will still exchange even though im not the original owner?

Static electricity has a VERY bad effect on scales. Remember that IMHO repeatability of accuracy is more important than the number you get.

I had that issue and called RCBS, the gave me a number to put on a box and a shipping address for Ohaus scales, the maker of the 5-10 & the 5-0-5, Pack it up send it to them. They will go over it check it, fix it and send it back and bill RCBS. I was very impressed now both of mine read the same. Now I am happy.

Mike

I also had an issue that whenever my hand got close to the scale it would change. I decided that like The Mechanic said, it was static electricity so I quit for the day. Static electricity and gun powder do not go together. The next day the issue was gone and back to reloading I went. I use it like a warning to load at a later time.

Mike

" So, if 55 grains is 54.9 on your new on, then adjust your charge to this."

As a practical matter, there is really no difference between 54.9 and 55 grains. Internal volume differences between cases more than exceed the effects of a trivial .1 gr of powder.

All that really matters is consistancy when we reload. If your 54.9 gr. charge still reads the same a year from now the scale is doing its job quite well even if it's not quite accurate in the absolute sense.

Wiping the copper damping vane with alcohol will remove static build-up there, also. If you have a static problem, try grounding the body of the scale. Because the of the non-conductive bearings, grounding may not be fully effective.

i called rcbs. and they said the same. they gave a address and what not. they said they will either fix it or send a new one my only cost would be shipping there. +1 for rcbs.

Score, I always call them first before I get upset. They have been very good at backing their products. Sometimes shit just happens for no good reason. It should be awesome when you get it back.

Mike

I have a Redding scale i purchased in the early 60s. If i weigh a bullet twice or more with it i will get the same weight.

I have a Case Gard digital scale. If i weigh the same bullet twice or more i sometimes get a difference of .2 grains.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Static electricity has a VERY bad effect on scales. Remember that IMHO repeatability of accuracy is more important than the number you get. </div></div>
This was screwing with me for some time, thanks to this forum I fixed it.