• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What to use for reshaping Choate stock?

BradZ

Just Brad
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2012
The Sticks (SW PA)
I’ve read a bit that different types of stocks need a different type of material to reshape them. I want to reshape a Choate stock and wondering what kind of material to use. Any input on what I need to use and if there’s a difference for large areas vs smaller areas?

thanks in advance

Reactions: Sturlo
Reshape Choate? Use a Choad.

Works wonders

sorry I couldn’t help it carry on and help this man for realz

I am not at all tracking what you mean by reshaping, but if anything more than deburring and so on: I would not.

Very unlikely to be worth the effort for the very low cost and quality of most of those by that brand, but also many plastic stocks are not unitary construction and have air or foam filled voids. Cutting into them almost at all, like trying to recontour one, ruins them.

I mean changing a good chunk of it. I do realize it’s a choate but it’s really the only decent base out there for this little pet project I’ve been kicking around for a few years now.

I heard about someone using body putty with angel hair. I don't know personally if this works, but it seems like it woould do the job.

Angel hair? Guessing you mean some sort of loose glass fiber.

Anyway, looked while trying to avoid some stupid work this morning: At least some Choate stocks are glass-fiber reinforced polypropylene. PP is very hard to glue to. It's a "slippery" plastic, that not just water but other solvents, and glues, run off of instead. Most cyanoacrylates (super glue) won't even work, and require special primers. This is a material property; degreasing or even sanding won't change it.

Reportedly, 3M Scotch-Weld DP8005 will work. Never tried it. I'd consider experimenting before cutting. Get some glues and try to attach the head of a screw to the stock somewhere innocuous, like under the buttpad. Read and give full cure time, then try to break the screw off. You'll be able to judge if the force required was enough for your project, but it may be impossible to get the bond you want.

Best way to reshape a Choate is going to be wrapping it in a trash bag and then throwing it in the garbage and buying something else.
Or he could possibly leave it like it is and outshoot someone with a Manners or MPA chassis.

h110-0039c.png

I don't know where you are trying to reshape it at but the rear half of the buttstock is hollow and is only about an 1/8 of an inch thick on the tactical model. the forearm is sold but the aluminum chassis is pretty substantial under that. A lot of hate out there on the choates but it is a sturdy stock that will shoot as well as any other decent stock out there. They are heavy as fuck though. I think devcom will stick to it especially if you stipple the stock first because you will be relying heavily on the mechanical bond more than the chemical bond.

Reactions: shoobe01
I’ve read a bit that different types of stocks need a different type of material to reshape them. I want to reshape a Choate stock and wondering what kind of material to use. Any input on what I need to use and if there’s a difference for large areas vs smaller areas?

thanks in advance
Surprising what comes up on a web search; I recently bought a Choate folding synthetic stock for M1 30 carbine. Bought online, last one in country as far as I know and it works fine except it's a bit beat up and mis-shaped where it meets parts of the chassis - doesn't all line up properly. It's not terrible and doesn't affect function but I like things to be symmetrical within reason. Nothing I can do about the beat up part but I'd like to fix the bent stuff. I'm in Canada (eh) so it's near impossible to find a lot of firearm-related things and equally impossible to get US vendors ship to here due to gub'mnt rules ("keeping Canadians safe." Yeah, right.:rolleyes:). So I'm definitely keeping this less-than-perfect stock but am trying to find out if the warped areas are fix-able. I'm thinking a heat gun applied carefully and then pushing the softened stock material (some sort of nylon compound I think?) in the desired direction with a wood wedge or whatever. Hopefully it won't melt or burst into flames. Will keep you posted... Oh, first post here, btw. Looks like a really good forum!(y)

Attachments

• 609C08EA-F019-4A9D-A5BF-0EE29330A681.jpeg
    609C08EA-F019-4A9D-A5BF-0EE29330A681.jpeg
    394.9 KB · Views: 34
  • C7780E72-D732-4B30-9080-E72DC3594181_1_201_a.jpeg
    C7780E72-D732-4B30-9080-E72DC3594181_1_201_a.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 28
I have a Choate tactical stock for my Rem 700. It works well, but I'd like to thin out the pistol grip a little. It is THICK.