• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What to use to fill barrel channel

TW159

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2008
Aumsville, Or
I have a Choate tactical stock and my barrel is a standard varmint contour so I have a huge gap in the channel. I want to fill it up a bit. Can I just use regular epoxy? Or should I use something else to deal with the heat and exposure?

Thanks
TW

Re: What to use to fill barrel channel

My kid's Ruger 77 .308 stock was hollow in the forearm/barrel channel. I roughed it up inside real good with a dremmel and created some mechanical locks (slits, holes, and dovetails) in strategic areas, cleaned it real good with laquer thinner; then used fiber glass resin and glass cloth to build it up "solid". After I got reasonably close to the actual barrel channel I bedded the entire action and barrel channel all at once using Marine Tex; with three layers of masking tape on the barrel, to give it enough float.

This was mainly to stiffen the forearm on that pathetically flimsy plastic stock, which it did just fine. Make sure whatever you use will stick to the choate, the mechanical locks I put in his Ruger were for insurance....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TW159</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Choate tactical stock and my barrel is a standard varmint contour so I have a huge gap in the channel. I want to fill it up a bit. Can I just use regular epoxy? Or should I use something else to deal with the heat and exposure?

Thanks
TW </div></div>

Not sure what the Choate stock is made of. Bondo works fine for filling gaps on fiberglass stocks. It's a lot lighter than Devcon and a lot easier to shape.

John

Marine Tex white is lighter in weight than the dark. If you want heavier, use one of the liquid epoxies filled with lead shot. If you want light, get one of the West System lightweight filling materials and mix it with the liquid epoxy. (Those are readily available through most marine supply houses...West Marine or Jamestown Supply come to mind. Since it isn't load bearing, use what you want. JMHO

i am not sure if any of the recommended will actually adhere to the choate stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i am not sure if any of the recommended will actually adhere to the choate stock. </div></div>

The Choate stock is made of Rynite, which is a PET. They are historically difficult to get anything to stick to, as noted. However, if significantly roughed up, with mechanical locks made as described above, something serviceable should be possible. The worst places will be where it feathers to the original finish.

I bedded my OEM Tikka stock, which is a copolymer, with Devcon using the above method and never had any problems.

John

I'd rethink that idea.

A couple things to consider,

- The Choate is already a heavy stock, do you want to add even more weight to it.

- The choate is already an eyesore, filling the channel won't help, but it will make it hard to sell someday.

- That gap aids air circulation, for more even barrel cooling.

- The gap ensures a good barrel float in a stock that may flex a bit more when hot.

Just a few things to consider. I'd leave it as is.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">- That gap aids air circulation, for more even barrel cooling.
</div></div> +1 on cooling

Try it without, easier to clean out the gap too

Thanks for the info guys.

The stock is a heavy SOB my plan is to shave down the sides of the fore end a little any how so weight should be a wash.

I don't really care about selling it cause is a rifle i built so it don't have much value.

Difficulty getting things to stick to it had crossed my mind. Looking around i found this from Devcon Plastic Welder.

Any one know about this stuff?
TW

I'd put a For Sale sign on it, and use the loot towards a 700P take-off. They usually go for about $200.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd put a For Sale sign on it, and use the loot towards a 700P take-off. They usually go for about $200. </div></div>

It's a Savage so that might not be too productive.
grin.gif

I ordered some plastic welder so we'll see how it goes

TW