• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What torque wrench for AIAE rifles?

savage110

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2009
USA
So I took my AE out of the chassis to paint it and now I need to torque it back in, problem is I cant find a decently priced torque wrench <$ 100 that torques to 88 inch pounds. For all you AIAE owners out there, which wrench do you use?
Thanks
-Felipe

Re: What torque wrench for AIAE rifles?

Do you have anything else other than guns? If so, I would buy a quality in/pd torque wrench like a Snap-On. The 88 in/pd you mentioned is right in the range of a number of nuts and bolts on my Harley. It's kinda a "buy once, cry once" type thing- get a good variable wrench that you'll keep forever, and you can use it for more than just one purpose.

I dont have anything else to use it on. Its more of a use once type deal.

Maybe hit up your mechanic.. see if you can either borrow one of theirs or bring your gun down to the shop and do it there.. I bet the guys would get a kick out of seeing such a nice rifle.

Sears Hardware stores should carry a 25-250 in/lb torque wrench for about $80.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont have anything else to use it on. Its more of a use once type deal. </div></div>

Trust me, you will use it more then once on something. Go ahead and invest in quality tooling. You won't regret it. I use the Borka torque wrench. There was a group buy here and they can be ordered from Brownells. It can be used on a number of things.

Scope rings (base screw and top half of rings)
Action screws
adjustable muzzle breaks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneswithfunes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a ruler and a little math? </div></div>
please explain how this works....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont have anything else to use it on. Its more of a use once type deal. </div></div>

Trust me, you will use it more then once on something. Go ahead and invest in quality tooling. You won't regret it. I use the Borka torque wrench. There was a group buy here and they can be ordered from Brownells. It can be used on a number of things.

Scope rings (base screw and top half of rings)
Action screws
adjustable muzzle breaks

</div></div>
Yeah I planned on getting a borka but it doesn't do the 88#'s I need.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneswithfunes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a ruler and a little math? </div></div>
please explain how this works.... </div></div>
Torque is determined by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. Torque = Force x Moment. So for your example 10*8.8=88 inch pounds. Use a wrench with a 10" pivot length and apply 8.8 lbs. I was just being a ass. Go spend the money and buy one. I have two different wrenches for inch pounds, one is a Snap On the other was around 50.00 from a auto parts store.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe hit up your mechanic.. see if you can either borrow one of theirs or bring your gun down to the shop and do it there.. I bet the guys would get a kick out of seeing such a nice rifle. </div></div>That's what I do too, but I work at a dealership and know the mechanics well enough that they don't mind loaning me a tool, from time to time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneswithfunes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneswithfunes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How about a ruler and a little math? </div></div>
please explain how this works.... </div></div>
Torque is determined by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied. Torque = Force x Moment. So for your example 10*8.8=88 inch pounds. Use a wrench with a 10" pivot length and apply 8.8 lbs. I was just being a ass. Go spend the money and buy one. I have two different wrenches for inch pounds, one is a Snap On the other was around 50.00 from a auto parts store. </div></div>

Right on, back to Physics I!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sears Hardware stores should carry a 25-250 in/lb torque wrench for about $80. </div></div>

This is what I use. Got mine during a sale for $65.

Just hand tighten it. They usually forget to pack their torque wrenches in combat anyway
wink.gif

I'll also add.. if you have a $5000 rifle you may want to make the minimal investment in a good wrench to keep it in good shape. Not sure I'd trust a $20 torque wrench on my high-end rig.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kortik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is correct, no 88 in-lbs. at this time.

Now, that got me thinking about making the torque driver model which will do
up to 100 in-lbs. Or an extension for the currect model to do the same.

Will try something to figure it out in the first part of 2011, but unfortunately, right now I do not an immediate solution.

Boris </div></div>

I told him i'm in for one if they make it. Hide AI torque wrench group buy ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TJ.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kortik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is correct, no 88 in-lbs. at this time.

Now, that got me thinking about making the torque driver model which will do
up to 100 in-lbs. Or an extension for the currect model to do the same.

Will try something to figure it out in the first part of 2011, but unfortunately, right now I do not an immediate solution.

Boris </div></div>

I told him i'm in for one if they make it. Hide AI torque wrench group buy ? </div></div>
Im in if you guys make one, but I need an immediate solution... Im planning on shooting this coming weekend....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: REM700MAN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">RKBA has a digital Snapon one. That is one nice wrench. </div></div>
I don't think he'd let me use it...

sears or Ebay man. both have plenty for sale. just buy one

Just crank it hard with a regular wrench and your girlie hands. You will probably need help to get to 88 in/lbs.

Do you even know how to use a wrench? You have started 2 threads and have 10 posts about torquing your action back into your stock. Shit.

I like the Seekonk line of wrenches. I use the NC200-R for my LMT MRP(140 in lbs) The T handlle versions are nice also. They make an adjustable version of the NC200-R which would give you more use. I look at it this way--what's a $125 investment when you spent at least 4k on a stick and probably 1500+ for optics.

Please do it right so that rifle is kept in specs as designed.

Mark

http://www.seekonk.com/torqstart.html

Reply to add---on the Borka, I have mine coming in from Triad on Wednesday. If you are going to make a model with a higher torque range, can one be done to do ("commercial" 700) 45/50/55? 65, 89, and 140?

That would be sweet to be able to do all of those models and scopes with one tool, compact at that!

That would do the 700, AI and LMT MRP.

Sears *should* have something that fits in your price range and gets that 88in/lb torque spec your going for. I would be suprised if there wasn't an auto shop around that would help you. I'd personally advise to buy a decent one the first time because if your into cars then there are alot of different bolts that require torque wrenches. They have alot of uses. That being said i know my dad has one and if we can meet up this weekend i can get him to bring it out with us. What i'm not sure about is if we will actually be able to get out this weekend and if the wrench goes to 88in/lbs or not. Those are two variables i can do my best to figure out for you sometime today but no promises buddy.

OP should have bought a AW....then this would be a non issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hawk45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll also add.. if you have a $5000 rifle you may want to make the minimal investment in a good wrench to keep it in good shape. Not sure I'd trust a $20 torque wrench on my high-end rig. </div></div>

Couldn't agree more

If you look at ebay for a while, you can find some great deals on Snap-On torque wrenches. Personally I would buy a quality tool, they always come in handy later.

You may have to retorque or check the torque on your AE some day.

I have a Borka Driver for T&E.

IMG_2744.jpg

I also happen to have an AE MkII. What I am planning on doing (after I talk to AINA) is torque the AE to the highest setting on the driver (72 in/lbs IIRC) and checking the accuracy and reliability of the system. If it's accurate and reliable, then there is no reason not to go that route. If I get zero shift and other issues, then it will be obvious that the higher torque is needed. I know there have been some issues with the AE in the past, not liking the lower torque.

I would prefer to be able to fly to a match as light as possible and still be able to perform full maintenance on the AE. However if it means I need to put a cutout for my Craftsman in the Pelican, then so be it.

For now, the Borka driver is perfect for my 700's and makes up all the tools I need to perform any field level maintenance on the system.

I will be doing a full writeup and video review soon after SHOT. I have to do the armorer's inspections on our work rifles, so the Borka tool will get a workout and double-checked by my Craftsman torque wrench.

Snap-On Micrometer style torque wrench is what I use. 50-200Lbs is the torque range.

Also, a quality action wrench is an absolute necessity. The AI's aren’t cheap BTW. If you want to play, you gotta pay.

Pony up is all I can say.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just crank it hard with a regular wrench and your girlie hands. You will probably need help to get to 88 in/lbs.

Do you even know how to use a wrench? You have started 2 threads and have 10 posts about torquing your action back into your stock. Shit. </div></div>

You got beef with this guy or what?