• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What torque wrenches...?

SilentStalkr

Wonna Be Badass
Minuteman
  • Oct 8, 2012
    Somewhere in the US
    What torque wrenches are you guys using for action screws snd such? I have a bunch of nice ft-lbs. torque wrenches but none of them go as low as I need. I also have a fix it sticks set and a Wheeler wrench but they don’t go above 65 in.-lbs and I need something in between.

How much torque are you wanting to put on those action screws?

Got this one on Amazon, loved it, bought a second one for the truck to use at the range. Highly recommended.

Sounds like you need a C-clamp or two on the receiver and bottom metal.

How much torque are you wanting to put on those action screws?
    Well I’ve pretty much always used 65 in.-lbs. but supposedly, one of Sako’s R&D guys wrote a member here years ago and said they didn’t even really use torque specs on the Sako TRG. But, they said if you had to have a spec, they offered some numbers to mostly police/mil armorers and one of the specs was 129 in.-lbs. for the action screws. Which seems high but that’s what they said. He even provided info for people to call and doublecheck themselves.

I can tell you that after the latest disassembly and reassembly that my TRG groups opened up a wee bit using 65 in.-lbs. could be me after a long hiatus, could be the new equip or could be the torque specs. Or it could be all the above. Needless to say, I’m tempted to try it and see what the findings AE by torquing to their specs

Just order a larger Fix It Sticks limiter. That said I would not go anywhere near 100+ in/lbs on any action screws. I'd watch chasing one guys opinion.

Just order a larger Fix It Sticks limiter. That said I would not go anywhere near 100+ in/lbs on any action screws. I'd watch chasing one guys opinion.

I’m gonna leave at 65 in.-lbs for now as I felt that was plenty personally. But time will tell.

Reactions: Rob01
    I’m gonna leave at 65 in.-lbs for now as I felt that was plenty personally. But time will tell.
    There is benefit to messing with torque and determining which screw should be hit last.

More so I think it’s a wood stock thing and values are lower.

My only testing has been with a pillared R700 and the pillars should negate the wood issue but it was the only rifle I ever tested tourque values on and I was able to use it to dial in a tight group.

All my plastic stocks I think get 65 even.

Reactions: SilentStalkr
    The practical answer? Fix-It sticks. The baller answer?

PXL_20231001_124706222.jpg
    PXL_20231001_124712314.jpg
    PXL_20231001_125359621.jpg

Not cheap, but then again neither is the stuff it's torquing.

I like the Tekton in/lb wrench, comes in a nice padded case that you can shove the bits you need into it and throw it in the range bag.

Call me a heretic, but this is all that I use:

61Dun3otL0L.jpg

That's it - you're getting kicked out of Snipers Hide Engineering Club. You didn't really meet the age requirements for Cranky Old Guy status anyways, so it's not that big of a loss. You can reapply upon your 40th birthday, but expect to supply extensive supporting documentation included at least one Measurement System Analysis of something that sounds impressive but has no actual influence on making the bullet hit the target.

• Haha
    Reactions: Modoc and kthomas
    I have the 3/8 and 1/2" tech angle but can't talk myself into the 1/4" one yet. Great torque wrenches.

I felt the same way when ordering these tools - there's not much apparent value in the 1/4" on a pound-per-dollar basis. I mean, the 1/2" 15-300 ft-lb wrench is about 3x the length and only costs 10% more. But any honest evaluation of my problems over the past 30 years of amateur wrench-turning suggests that the little screws are the ones which are far more likely to give me a Bad Day(tm) in the shop, and thus any tool that helps me avoid such problems is worth the money.

Or maybe I just like to flex my prosperity in very weird ways. Kinda hard to tell.

Where's the thread where the guy ran several different brands through some calibration equipment and tabulated the results? Unsettling results.

Right here:

Pretty cool thread, but the OP hasn't updated it in a while since he's trying to buy half a helicopter or something like that.

Reactions: Modoc
    For assembling 99% of gun parts I would be in the same boat as those who don't waste their time with torque wrenches. There is stuff out there I would almost never assemble without one too.

Incessantly clicking on fasters to see if they have come loose has probably caused more problems than torque wrench have solved. If you have never tightened a faster before. It might be a good idea to try one if you are too dense not to imprint your ring into your scope tube over tightening scope rings. Actions screws are going to be about as tight as you can get them with a nut driver to reach 65inlbs. Other stuff doesn't need to be nearly that tight.

I would shoot it for a while before I decided 65 was the reason it wasn't shooting.

What torque wrenches are you guys using for action screws snd such? I have a bunch of nice ft-lbs. torque wrenches but none of them go as low as I need. I also have a fix it sticks set and a Wheeler wrench but they don’t go above 65 in.-lbs and I need something in between.