• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What trigger for my R700?

Scratchthejeepguy

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2013
WI
I'm wanting to replace my factory trigger on my Remington 700. This is on a Remington SPS Tactical in .308 with an XLR Carbon Chassis, and a Vortex 6-24X50 FFP. I'll be shooting off a bench mostly with some prone, around 300 to 600 yards, using reloads, at paper targets. Looking for 2 pounds or less. I'm not too concerned about dirt since I keep it pretty clean, I don't compete with it, but am looking to take it to the next step and am pretty sick of the factory trigger after using a friends Jewell.

I'm leaning towards Jewell, but am wondering about Timney, Jard, Shilen and any other ones you have any experience with.

I'd like to hear the pros and cons of them too, if there are any....

I am a fan of timney's but I stay between 2-3 pounds as my rifles are used for the range and hunting fields. I used Rifle Basix before Timney and they are better than remington factory but IMO Timney has an improved design and just feel like a higher quality trigger. I have not used any of the others...

Jewell, unless you'd like a 2 stage, then get what I've got, the CG X-treme from X-Treme shooting, you can have Tom adjust it down to 10oz if you like, mine is at 11oz, it's a lovely set up, 100 bucks more than the Jewell, though.
QCk5zJf.jpg

lKRUlUD.jpg

I have both a Jewell and a Timney, I much prefer the Jewell. I'm not a fan of the wide trigger shoe on the Timney. Next gun will get the X-treme

I swapped out my factory trigger on my Remington 700 .308 with a Jewel 6 months after I got it. Well worth the investment. I have
it set to 1.6 lbs. Very crisp!

I replaced the stock trigger on my sps tac .308 for a timney #517 after 3 mos. It's set right at 2lbs. I couldn't be happier. I cant really speak on a Jewell as I have never owned or tried one. I'd say get what you want, if you don't like it, get something else.

I have a Timney on mine. It is adjusted to 1.5 pounds now. I like it, but I am sure that any of the "name" brands will be fine.

I want to get a 2 stage at some point, but they are 2 - 3x the price.

SWFA has a good price on the Timney triggers.

+1 on Timney. Jewel seems to be best suited for the benchrest/F-class crowd....dirt in their tight tolerances can cause issues.

Thanks all, I went with the Jewell. I've heard they can be finicky with dirt, but I keep my stuff pretty clean and shoot in a pretty clean area. I love it so far.

I have both a Jewell and a

I emailed Romney about slimmer trigger shoe

Timney, I much prefer the Jewell. I'm not a fan of the wide trigger shoe on the Timney. Next gun will get the X-treme
Hello, that is not offered on line, what you need to do is call us her at Timney and order part # 510 with the thin shoe.

Jeff Herlov
Technical Support Advisor
Timney Triggers
2020 West Quail Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85027
P: 623.223.1111
F: 623.223.1112
NRA Life Member

Hello, that is not offered on line, what you need to do is call us her at Timney and order part # 510 with the thin shoe.

Jeff Herlov
Technical Support Advisor
Timney Triggers
2020 West Quail Ave
Phoenix, AZ 85027
P: 623.223.1111
F: 623.223.1112
NRA Life Member

Sir,
Thanks for the needed info

Jewell, unless you'd like a 2 stage, then get what I've got, the CG X-treme from X-Treme shooting, you can have Tom adjust it down to 10oz if you like, mine is at 11oz, it's a lovely set up, 100 bucks more than the Jewell, though.

Have a Jewell now but this looks like a very interesting trigger. :cool: