• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

The salmon

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Just want the pros and cons of 2 stage vs 1 stage, straight vs curves, etc. and what your running on your rifle

Thanks

By the way, I'm 13

Two stage triggers tend to be more expensive. Many high end rifles have them because a shooter can pull back until right before the break point to get the final alignment and sight picture before firing. Single stage triggers can be set to a really low pull weight, but with gloves or high energy adrenalin pumping through your body, many people consider a very light weight trigger unsuited for tactical or hunting use. Many tactical rifles have a single stage tuned remmy or timney trigger set to ~ 2.5#.

Straight triggers are seen more often on bench rest or varmint rifles. I don't care for them because I like a trigger shoe that contours to my finger tip.

Although I enjoyed shooting a friend's custom bolt gun with a huber two stage, my rifles all have single stage triggers. I have an old school Remmy on my Rem 721 hunting rifle, my wife uses a 1.5# timney on her rifle, and I have a 2-2.5# jewell on my my Surgeon. I have also had rifles with tuned x-mark. I prefer the jewell but I concede that other triggers may be better suited for a rifle that will see very hard use in harsh environments.

If I was building a rifle from the ground up, I would probably get a two stage trigger just to try something different. If I didn't like it, I could always trade it for a tuned remmy or timney and a little bit of cash.

Hope this answers your questions.

Two stage triggers tend to be more expensive. Many high end rifles have them because a shooter can pull back until right before the break point to get the final alignment and sight picture before firing. Single stage triggers can be set to a really low pull weight, but with gloves or high energy adrenalin pumping through your body, many people consider a very light weight trigger unsuited for tactical or hunting use. Many tactical rifles have a single stage tuned remmy or timney trigger set to ~ 2.5#.

Straight triggers are seen more often on bench rest or varmint rifles. I don't care for them because I like a trigger shoe that contours to my finger tip.

Although I enjoyed shooting a friend's custom bolt gun with a huber two stage, my rifles all have single stage triggers. I have an old school Remmy on my Rem 721 hunting rifle, my wife uses a 1.5# timney on her rifle, and I have a 2-2.5# jewell on my my Surgeon. I have also had rifles with tuned x-mark. I prefer the jewell but I concede that other triggers may be better suited for a rifle that will see very hard use in harsh environments.

If I was building a rifle from the ground up, I would probably get a two stage trigger just to try something different. If I didn't like it, I could always trade it for a tuned remmy or timney and a little bit of cash.

Hope this answers your questions.

It does answer my question

I asked because because I am builing a custom rifle (i save up the cash then give it to my uncle so he buy the parts since im not 18