• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what twist for my 338 lapua GAP build?

fastford

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2008
    Central, Texas
    what has everone been using? I plan to run either the sierra or lapua 300gr bullets, with a AAC titan suppressor, your thoughts?

Re: what twist for my 338 lapua GAP build?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what has everone been using? I plan to run either the sierra or lapua 300gr bullets, with a AAC titan suppressor, your thoughts? </div></div>

1:10 should do the trick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">are some going to faster than that? 1:9.5? </div></div>

Yes. In fact, I was told that AIAW is working on a faster twist rate than the 1:10. I guess, they are planning for possible better BC bullets in the future. Again, that's purely my guess. It's always better to have a faster twist and not need it than not have it but need it for a heavier bullet.

Think about this for a minute....

How much heavier bullet can you really use in a .338 Lapua?
    I don't shoot one, but use the .338/300 just so I can get more bullet seating room in the magazine than I could with .338 Ultra. Gotta be even more a problem with the Lapua.

So, there is the .338 Norma... A shorter bodied case than the Lapua with comparable (they say) performance.

You want to shoot heavier than 300gr bullets? Unless Corbin made you a die set, they aren't available. When they are, you probably wont' shoot them from the Lapua case. The Norma or a necked up Lazzeroni Patriot case would give you comparable velocities and more bullet seating room.

If I were really obsessing over velocity, but wanted versatility as well; I would ask George or whoever is doing your build, chambering your barrel about the .338 Norma. Should be able to ream the barrel again up to .338 Lapua dimensions if you really aren't satisfied, but... What's not to like from a round that burns less powder and delivers comparable velocity; plus gives you more latitude for bullet seating?

My GAP built .338LM sports a 28" Bartlein 5R 1-9.75"

Shoots bug holes with both 250gr Scenars and the 300gr Scenars.

I just ordered a barrel with a 9.4 twist.