• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors What type of ammo through your 556 supp.

JonLSU

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2007
Corpus Christi, TX
I just got a AAC M4-2k and saw where it recommends to shoot FMJ ammo through the suppressor. Do any of you guys shoot Ballistic tip ammo, TAP, varmint rds, etc.

Re: What type of ammo through your 556 supp.

I mainly asked bc I primarily shoot vmax, tap, or a few other nosler ballistic tip ammo and just wanted to see if any others do the same.

Re: What type of ammo through your 556 supp.

I have shot thousands of the following rounds through a variety of 5.56 suppressors from AAC, Ops Inc, SureFire, Gemtech, SWR, YHM. This is just off the top of my head. I am sure there is more I am missing. I used to do a lot of demos, host training classes, organize local group shoots, etc.

Prvi Partisan 55 and 68-grain
Hornady TAP 55 and 75-grain
Black Hills 55, 68, 75 and 77-grain
IMI M855
Remington 55-grain
Guatemalan 55-grain surplus
Winchester Q3131 & Q3131A 55-grain
Federal 55-grain ball
Lake City 55 and 68-grain
Wolf 55-grain

And as much as I hate to admit it, I've even shot GA Arms Canned Heat 55-grain though I would not recommend shooting that stuff even in unsuppressed guns.

I also have shot about 100-200 rounds of Federal ballistic tip that were given to me to try; can't remember what grain.

Don't shoot frangible. You can damage the suppressor.