• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What type of bedding job?

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
Im putting together a custom rifle: Mcmillan A-5 stock, Krieger MTU bbl, Badger bottom metal M-5, Badger FTE Muzzle brake, Surgeon Rifles RLR Action, Nightforce Scope,Surgeon Scope 20moa base, Badger USMC rings, Harris bipod, Badger Titanium Recoil lug, Surgeon KMW bolt knob,tuned trigger 2.5lbs, custom Cerakote flat dark earth on all metal all under a .300 Win. Mag.

What type of bedding job should I have done on it when i have my gunsmith put it together? What would be the best for that setup? I know there is no "best" but you know what i mean.

I cant wait to get this rifle done!

Re: What type of bedding job?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We need an easy button on here. </div></div>

agreed

The easy button is McMillan.

Call them and arrange to ship the barreled action and stock to them, and they will do an exquisite job of pillar bedding; exactly as they did on my Ghost Dancer A3 Tactical/Savage 10FP

IMHO, I don't believe anyone can do better.

Greg Langelius

Ditto on McMillan. I sent them my Savage 10FP and had them do a piller and skim bedding job on it in an A5. I couldn't be happier. Rifle went from consistent .75 MOA or slightly more to consistent .5 MOA or slightly less. With hand loads I get less than .5 MOA consistently. You can't go wrong with their work.

What are the advantages of pillar bedding vs regular glass bedding? With pillars you can't ruin the bedding by overtorqueing the action screws, is that it?

I have a Savage 10FCP (the McMillan A5 model) and am trying to decide which way to go.

I had a customer's rifle that had a messed up bedding job in a Manners Stock, I mean messed up. I couldn't repair and redo myself because I just had surgery on both my hands. I called Roscoe at Louisiana Precision and he did it, took about two weeks and he charges $200. It's a work of art and I'm glad I sent it to him, quite frankly it's better than I could've done even if I didn't have messed up hands.