• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What type of bench lighting do you use?

MrOneEyedBoh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2011
Maryland, USA!
With all of the talk about electrical interference with scales, what do you use? Can fluorescent lighting be used but at a certain distance from scales? Sure you can use led but expensive. Incandescent is nice but more expensive to run versus fluorescent .

Re: What type of bench lighting do you use?

I have fluorescent in mine not so much by choice but by chance. I have a 450 square foot raised floor datacenter in the basement for my work that I was able to split roughly in half after bringing in blade servers. It has fluorescent lighting and I've never had any issues with either of my Chargemaster scales going crazy - not that I've noticed at least.

If you notice in this pic my bench is lit up pretty well, I use a halogen overhead lamp, has 2 bulbs, I like the bright light. Where I took this pic from I have a spiral fluorescent 100watt bulb.
IMG_0795_zpsaf8b04a1.jpg

True on halogen but those bad boys create some heat and spin that electric meter Haha.

I have a T-8 Fluorescent over mine and use an additional clamp-on for detail area work. I have had no problem with my scale. My light is about 66 inches above the bench. Operating cost should be a minor issue given the time they are in use, no mater what you use. Lightman

It isn't fluorescent light, as such, that's a problem, it's the old style ballast transformers that produce magnetic fields which may interfere with some digital scales. If there is enough seperation even the worst of them won't cause any problems.

I only use incandescent lighting and a few halogens. I can't stand the coloring of fluorescent lights. Seriously, how much more power do you use with incandescent lights??? Enough to really show in your monthly bill???