• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What type of marker/paint pen do you use to mark/reference the position of screws and maybe highlight a front sight?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
In the course i took the instructor advocated marking the closed position of torqued screws or bolt heads so that one might easily ascertain whether the screw/bolt had loosened.

I'm not sure what type of pen or marker would work for this application. One in which it would have to adhere to metal and possibly polymers..... and hold up to some of the cleaning products we often employ.

It might be nice if i could also use it to brighten a front sight but this would only be a secondary need.

A fine application point would probably be best.

Wondering if something like this would work? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._title_dp_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A13BQJ7MGK25O4

Thanks

Last edited:
They’ll work for witness marking your screws etc,but I wouldn’t use one to freshen up the bead on a fore sight & expect it to be a permanent fix.

thanks, appreciate the information..

likely best to try to solve one problem at a time and use these for the screw/bolt heads.

The course instructor feels that marking critical screw or bolt heads such as those that secure the receiver or the rifle scope rapidly and easily informed the shooter if they have loosened or are no longer appropriately torqued

Like others have said; nail polish. Hooker red. Clear if you're using it on things like scope rings and mounts. Also works when laying a bead across the ring and scope to verify that the scope isn't slipping in the rings (just put a little dab on the underside of the scope tube).

Reactions: deersniper
I use the Elmer's or Craftsmart paint pens that you get from craft stores. Usually have red, blue, green, yellow, and white on hand more than any other color.

What you are describing is what is used when installing some electronics and fasteners for tamper proofing.
I have used it when I was installing GPS camera systems on city work vehicles.

Reactions: RTH1800
I use the paint pens preferred by graffiti artists, Molotow is the brand name. Many colours to choose from so you can contrast with a camo paint pattern without having to go completely to hooker red. :p

Can’t see the sight...
That’s from many years ago when i still dipped...
It’s a pretty pistol with hardly any holster wear, and it is very easy to pick up the front sight with his trooper doctoring. I wanted his Safariland basket weave rig, but it was shot and dry rotted....

What you are describing is what is used when installing some electronics and fasteners for tamper proofing.
I have used it when I was installing GPS camera systems on city work vehicles.

This.

I have found it more durable than the other markers I have tried.

In the industrial side of things we use paint pens or scribe marks. For these little tiny fasteners something with a finer point would be needed.

I always think Sharpie Oil-Based the best pen to write on metal are the ones with an oil base because they do not wipe off or fade easily. They stay on the surface of the metal almost permanently or until such a time that you want to remove them

Nail polish or a paint pen (fine tip) if Inhave one handy.

I use paint marker of Molotow, here are some of the applicable regular surfaces for this marker due to my experience: glass, wood, paper, metal and denim, etc.

I use paint marker of Molotow, here are some of the applicable regular surfaces for this marker due to my experience: glass, wood, paper, metal and denim, etc.
Recently, I have been using a sharpie pen. It can perform smoothly on most types of surfaces such as paper, plastic, metal, wood, and glass, etc. The permanent ink dries out quickly after being used and stays waterproof on such surfaces. Especially, this permanent marker is certainly AP certified for being safe and free from acid or other toxicants in its ink material.

I use a white metal marker to mark the position of the screws. This non-toxic white permanent marker for metal surfaces will wrap up the job without leaks. Besides its innovative design, it offers impeccable versatility that can work on multiple surfaces.

They're in the garage and I don't feel like going out there right now... But any oil based paint marker will get it done. We taught SDM's this when mounting ACOG's because their shit would tend to get knocked loose from time to time or there may be a time when they need to remove it and can't rezero it later... It's the next best thing.

I put a couple marks on my Mk123 tripod so I can get it into the two different leg positions I like fast. A yellow and a pink (supposed to be red) tick mark on the teeth.

I don't mark my rifles/optics anymore but I have a small torque wrench in a portable tool/cleaning kit now so I don't really need it.

Screws on a rifle should be loctited down (FN) and there are places where screws simply shouldn't be in the first place (FN!).