• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What uppers are compatible with DPMS 308 lowers?

mberry223

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2003
Virginia Beach, VA
There are so many new ones out there now... I may be in the market to build, or buy, a 16" lightweight upper soon and I'm not sure what all is compatible now. I'd rather go with a gas piston system if there is a good manufacturer out there.

Thanks!

Re: What uppers are compatible with DPMS 308 lowers?

go search for the list on ar15.com it will tell you everything. you can search here, but it will lead to a thread telling you to look for the list over there

Looked for the list on AR15.com, couldn't find it. No worries.

<span style="font-style: italic">I guess I should have worded things differently, let me try again.</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Who has used something other than a DPMS 308 upper on a DPMS lower? How do you like it?
</span>
I really don't understand why people reply to posts telling people to google something. Thanks for the help.

well i know i have typed fulton, MEGA, JD Machine, sun devil and a few others i cant recall in a thread that everybody else has already replied to at least 3 or 4 times here on this site. i sold my DPMS stuff and bought a MA-10 set from MEGA as the quality was better overall for the price. but mega will sell an upper only as well.

the reason we tell you to search is because of this.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2061177#Post2061177

one quick advanced search using one keyword "compatible" going back 52 weeks confining the search to the semi thread. and there are plenty more that have other info. thats why we say search.

Thanks for your time. Searches still don't provide a solid answer, but that's okay, I'll spare the forums my questions and just ask someone directly.

Merry Christmas.

for a gas piston i think POF is your only choice in 308. bushmaster has an ORC. rock river has that RRA8? i think. ive had a DPMS set and didnt care for the fit. bought a JD Machine set and had a few issues. sent that back and chose a MA-10 from MEGA. its perfect. not sure if you already have a lower and you just want an upper? now with the DPMS you will have to be aware that they changed the height of the rail on the uppers. now you have to use their forearms to make the rails match or find an old upper. best bet would be to buy a matched set from one of the makers. i vote MEGA. some are getting the sets for $500 which isnt bad compared to DPMS and so much better quality.

Perfect, that's the kind of information I was looking for.

I do have a DPMS 308 already. It has a heavy 20" upper that GAP put together and shoots just like it should. I am looking for something a lot lighter for mountain hikes. I also shoot suppressed and enjoy the benefits of a Gas Piston system.

I also have a POF 415, it's had some issues, but shoots well now (after two returns to the shop). I like the overall feel of my POF, and have read good comments from people I trust on their 308. Unfortunately, buying a complete rifle just doesn't make financial sense for me right now.

If you want a 308 piston gun you are going to have to buy a new rifle. There are currently <span style="font-weight: bold">NO</span> DI-to-Piston conversions available for the .308 AR's and you cannot run a POF upper on anything but a POF lower even though they are based on the DPMS/KAC platform to some extent. Adams Arms and other piston kit builders are working on these conversions, but no light at the end of the tunnel yet so who knows when they'll be available.

There are plenty of piston driven 308 ARs out there, including:

1) POF (my personal recommendation);
2) LWRC;
3) LMT;
4) FNAR;
5) FN SCAR-17.

Thanks ORD. That's twice now in less than 24 hrs... Now I have to find that ergo grip
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: winmagfrog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks ORD. That's twice now in less than 24 hrs... Now I have to find that ergo grip
wink.gif
</div></div>

I'm here to help!
wink.gif

Good luck to you, sir!