• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what weight bullet for 30.06?

signal5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
tx
I recently bought a used remmy 700 30.06. It is just a basic 30.06 that was made in the early 80's from what I have looked up. What is a good bullet weight to use with this rifle? I am not sure of the twist rate if that matters. I will be using it to hunt mostly white tailed deer. Thanks for the help.

Re: what weight bullet for 30.06?

TX WT will be obliterated with 180 grainers. When I used heavy bullets for hunting, the deer always ran.

In wooded areas - I use 110 gr soft points over 55 gr RL15, and it drops them where they are.

I am looking at getting another lease in the Hill Country as well as keeping my lease in E TX. When I find where I am going in the hills, If I have longer shots I may move up to the 125-130 gr range. Reason for that is the 110 gr's suck ass accuracy wise at 300 yds from my rifle.

If I hunted the plains in the pan handle and had 500 yard opportunities, then a heavy may be the ticket.

Whatever you choose, good luck hunting and post pics of the kills!

I have used 165 Sierra Pro Hunter HPBT for years. Zero problems. And, without the lead tip, no deformation. My 700P gives 2 inch groups at 400 yards with them. JMHO

I have always used 180 grain in my 30-06 for deer, but I have always hunted mulies. Never had a white tail hunt opportunity.

I have read many reports that say 150 grain bullets of today are every bit as good a bullet for deer as the tried and true 180 grain.

Now with all that said, I also hunt deer in bear country. I always pack one load so I know where it hits. 180 grain nosler partition is where it is at for me. I trust that bullet to not disintigrate upon contact with "fur-texture targets with big teeth and claws".

My two-bits, YMMV.

The bigger the bullet, the better mentality?
smile.gif

I've used 110gr (Hornady) and 150gr (Sierra) spire points out of my .30-06 on whitetails and speed goats for years. The results have always been one shot kills with massive damage to the vitals. Whitetails aren't particularly hard to kill, I'd save my shoulder and load up any popular hunting bullet that shoots well, preferably 165gr or less.

just my two cents...

I'm about to try some nosler accubonds @180gr but we are hunting sambar deer here which are more like elk and moose in size.
I reckon 140-180 is a good range to work with.

I drive the Barnes TTSX 150 gr at an estimated 3000fps. Great bullet for my bolt rifle. Then I use factory 180gr Round nose soft points in my auto carbine 30-06. Pure hell on wheels as long as you don't stretch it too far!

180 grain SGK makes for an excellent hunting bullet that works well at distance also.

Living here in the Adirondacks I prefer the 180's. I have a lot of dense brush to deal with and that heavier bullet helps penetrate through it. I have always used Federal Premiums out of my Browning Auto, but just loaded up some Nosler ballistic silver tips... I like the auto for the fast follow up shot if needed. Hopefully I can head out to the range to see how they shoot.

Thanks everyone. I had been eyeing the 165 sierra game kings that federal offers in their premium line of ammo. thats what my 308 likes and i figure when i start reloading i could use the same bullet for both. I will buy a box a try them out.