• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What WOA barrels do you guys have?

Togeneral99

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2010
Lynchburg, Virginia
I'm looking at getting on but I'm torn as to which legth and contour I should get not to mention the varmint chamber (I'll shoot mainly 223 rem no NATO) or the Wylde chamber

So what do you guys have and yopur likes and dislikes (should you have any dislikes)

Thanks guys
Wes

Re: What WOA barrels do you guys have?

I have a 24" Pac-Nor barrel chambered in 20 Practical from WOA. Shoots great and is hell on a pdog field. I am about to order a 26" 6Rat from them. They do great work and reasonably priced.

I have the White Oak Armament 6.8mm Barrel 18 inch. I bought the entire upper from them. Highest quality AR-15 platform upper I have ever owned and I have had several over the years.

I have the 18" WOA SPR barrel on my new AR build. Have only shot some off the shelf ammo through it so far, but looks like it shoots good. Expecting it to get better with some good ammo or reloads. Also seems to clean easily / not showing any copper on my patches either.

I'm happy with mine.

I have the WOA 18" SPR barrel on my Mark 12 Mod 0.LUVS 77 gr with Varget.....easily half moa if I do my part

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking at getting on but I'm torn as to which legth and contour I should get not to mention the varmint chamber (I'll shoot mainly 223 rem no NATO) or the Wylde chamber

So what do you guys have and yopur likes and dislikes (should you have any dislikes)

Thanks guys
Wes </div></div>
Wylde is for shooting both NATO 556 and 223 so even though you said no nato I am not sure why you wouldn't want the option.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wylde is for shooting both NATO 556 and 223 so even though you said no nato I am not sure why you wouldn't want the option. </div></div>

I dont want to sacrifice leade or throat ahead of the barrel for a type of ammunition that I will not shoot. I want the lands as close as I can get to the mag length ammo.

Thanks guys keep em coming

All my AR service rifles are from WOP, one has WOA barrel, all have Wylde chambers. My varmint rig from John is a 22 PDK with 26 inch barrel.

Here is what he says about the common reamers used.

Here are just a few of the chamber reamers that I have prints for. There are hundreds of .223/5.56 chamber dimensions and I always get a kick out of people arguing over whether a rifle has a .223 or a 5.56 chamber. Just because it has a .223 chamber, does not mean it's the same as another rifle with a .223 chamber. Both reamers may say .223 on them, but they may be very much different. Also, everyone just knows the .223 is smaller than the 5.56, well the 5.56 Target chamber is smaller in about every dimension than the .223 Wylde.

The COAL for the 80 grain SMK is an ESTIMATE based on bullet empirical data and from chamber prints. The actual COAL in your rifle may be different, even though it has that specified chamber. The number is supplied to help identify a chamber if it is unknown or as an aid in selecting the proper chamber reamer (bullet seated further out means you can get more powder in the case).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Target .0566 1 deg,
13 min 2.465 This was designed by a C. Hildebrandt at Savage. I believe it is used in the savage .223 rifles. I do not have this reamer, but it should work well for HP.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JGS#514 .025 3 deg,
10 min 2.435 I believe this is used by Krieger and Mike Bykowski. I use it for slow twist varmint uppers but I think it is a little short, and too steep of a lead for HP.

Wylde .0619 1 deg,
15 min 2.475 Designed by Bill Wylde. Shoots everything good, and has slightly generous body dimensions for reliability. Eats anything you put in it.

Holliger .106 1 deg,
15 min 2.530 Designed for the 90 JLK. The longer throat allows a little more velocity.

CLE .025 1 deg,
30 min 2.450 Of course we all know Frank's rifles shoot just fine!

Bushmaster .0250 1 deg,
30 min 2.450-
2.475 Info from Bushmaster (thanks!). These are one of the best out-of-the box barrels, and handle up to 80 gr bullets no problemo.

I have the unfluted version of the SDM barrel with a 1 in 7 twist, wylde chamber. Thats a 20". Its heavy, but the thickest contour is between the FSB and receiver so the weight seems to settle down between the hands pretty well, a big plus in my book, in addition to not being unreasonably long.

As far as the chamber is concerned my understanding is that the varmint chamber is optimized for a "wide variety of varmint bullets" which does not necessarily translate as well as might be hoped to the realities of long distance marksmanship(like high bc bullets/keeping the primers in the case). My line of reasoning is that if the varmint chamber were superior for long distance shooting it would probably be reamed into the service rifle/cmp barrels(a .223 Remington, not NATO application). To launch a VLD bullet way out there (beyond performance of the excellent 77 gr loads) will typically require single loading anyway, and reaching out far with mag length 77s and the wylde chamber seems quite effective. That said I've never used a WOA barrel with a varmint chamber so I might be missing something.

If its for varminting and spewing stubby little bullets to maximum speeds, the varmint chamber and a 1 in 12 twist probably fits the bill.

Back to my barrel...
Dislikes? It can shoot much better than I can.

18" rifle gas Wylde is my fav..

9k rounds still kicking.. shoots anything I put threw it from 40-77gr,Ive used 6 of there barrels and all where worth twice the asking price IMHO..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 16" recon barrel and love it. Shoots half MOA. </div></div>

I don't see a recon barrel listed on the site. Looking for a 16" mid-length medium contour.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hvy1ton</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 16" recon barrel and love it. Shoots half MOA. </div></div>

I don't see a recon barrel listed on the site. Looking for a 16" mid-length medium contour. </div></div>

Its a dennys Guns barrel built by WOA for them,,,

I went with the 26" Varmint profile. It's heavy and I didn't need a turned down muzzle for metallic sights. Wylde chambered by CLE and 8 Twist. I use Berger 80.5BTs and JLK 80 VLDs.

2,100 rounds (one season) in and shoots bugholes.

Call and tell John what you want to do, then take his recommendation. He will not steer you wrong.

I've always heard great things about the accuracy of WOA bbls, but my White Oak Match Carbine Barrel has never shot very well. 2-3MOA with a variety of (non match)factory ammo. I'm thinking it might be because I had it fluted. I've never tried it with the better stuffs. Anyway, this accuracy is pretty much exactly what I've achieved with cheaper chrome lined barrels. It was kind of a let down.

Both my CLE douglas SPR bbl and my High Caliber Sales SPR bbls shoot (non match)factory ammo really freaking well. Both S&B and XM193 are in the 3/4-1MOA range.

Maybe the WOA bbl's shoot really well with match ammo and not so much with the cheaper stuffs.

Anyway, I don't think I will ever get a button rifled barrel fluted again. Mine was fluted by a third party and might have been cut too fast or too deep. Still, I'd have to see another WOA bbl shoot well in person before I ever bought another.

I have a Rainier Arms Ultramatch, which is a Shilen blank cut by WOA. It's a 16" barrel with Wylde chamber and 8" twist, and shoots darn good with factory 77gr ammo. Also have similar barrel (Rainier / Shilen / WOA)in 6.8 SPC, and it's also a shooter.

My WOA upper has a 20 inch 1:7 Wylde chamber. It's set up for Service Rifle Match shooting. This works for me and my style of shooting.

I've got two 18" SPR barrels with wilde chambers, and I flat out love them. Accuracy is above my ability for now.

18" spr barrel on my ar, next investment is a good trigger.

I havent found a load that I like yet, the barrel shoots good, I just cant make up my mind what bullet I want to shoot.

+1 on the Raineer Ultramatch from WOA--my 14.5 shoots 77gr
sub-MOA out to 200---just shot steel beyond that--no groups
---reasonable price is why I purchased--do have a couple $600+
cut-rifled AR barrels--WOA is one of the best buys out there

Lessee - 3 Kriegers 7 twist 223 barrels in service on Service Rifles, 1 18" SPR barrel on my MK 12, a 20" 7 twist WOA barrel I put on one of my junior's rifles that shot half MOA during break-in and sight-in...

Oh and a WOA 26" Match Rifle barrel on my spacegun. Another sub-half MOA shooter.

I've used John's barrels (Pac-nor and Wilson blanks) for years in my competition service rifle uppers. I also have a WOA 16" mid-length gas barrel that shoots pretty good, but not quite on par with the 20" heavy profile barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Recko555</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a 24" Pac-Nor barrel chambered in 20 Practical from WOA. Shoots great and is hell on a pdog field. I am about to order a 26" 6Rat from them. They do great work and reasonably priced. </div></div>I have the same thing. And I can say the same thing. Easily half MOA groups.

my dad has the SPR barrel. if I was in the market for one, it would be high on my list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have the 16" recon barrel and love it. Shoots half MOA. </div></div>

Ditto. I overscoped mine with a 3.5-15 NF, but it's easily a 1/4-1/2 MOA rifle with GMM or TAP ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM-1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">18" rifle gas Wylde is my fav..

9k rounds still kicking.. shoots anything I put threw it from 40-77gr,Ive used 6 of there barrels and all where worth twice the asking price IMHO..

</div></div>

This +100. Best setup IMHO, and the price is so nice...

PS- I have the Wylde chamber on several of my guns, I prefer that since it allows me to shoot anything I choose to feed it. I will always choose that setup when given the option.

WOA 18" SPR barrel 1-7 twist.
(got it at Rainierarms.com)

Shoots lights out with 69gr. SMK reloads. 75gr. Hornady BTHP's shoot next best.

I have the 18" SPR 1:7 twist on a Noveske matched upper and lower and it shoots great...it does like the heavier ammo.

Good luck

I have shot the WOA barrels in most of my rifles. I have had the Hart, Shilen, and Kreiger. For the money, you can not beat the WOA barrels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've always heard great things about the accuracy of WOA bbls, but my White Oak Match Carbine Barrel has never shot very well. 2-3MOA with a variety of (non match)factory ammo. I'm thinking it might be because I had it fluted. I've never tried it with the better stuffs. Anyway, this accuracy is pretty much exactly what I've achieved with cheaper chrome lined barrels. It was kind of a let down.

Maybe the WOA bbl's shoot really well with match ammo and not so much with the cheaper stuffs.

Anyway, I don't think I will ever get a button rifled barrel fluted again. Mine was fluted by a third party and might have been cut too fast or too deep. Still, I'd have to see another WOA bbl shoot well in person before I ever bought another. </div></div>

I dont flute bbls....thats a musical instrument of some sort. But that may or may not be part of the problem. Putting garbage ammo (ok, I will be nice, plinking ammo :) ) in is going to give you garbage results...with a few exceptions, as apparently your CLE can attest. Put match grade ammo in there and if you still get garbage results and its not you, then a call to John may be in order.

I have shot multiple AR bbls from John, all Wilsons, and I go thru at least two Wilson T2k bbls per year and all have been top notch. So much so that if the bbl I am going to use is 26 inches and in 6mm or 6.5mm (the only sizes/cals for the Wilson T2k bbls at this point)its the only bbl I use. I cant justify buying $450+ bbls when I can get a Wilson for $250ish and I have shot scores (including at least 2 national records) as good or better than any of the other brands. No brainer to me. ANd, its not like Wilson, or any manufacturer for that matter, goes out and buy crap steel to make bbls, they all get good stuff and now and then a bad batch. Rare nowadays, but does happen.

John

i recently got a noveske lightweight 18" barrel....i should have went with another WOA...you just cant beat WOA for price, and performance...

bench

I have just built a rifle around a WOA SPR 1:7 wylde myself. I haven't seen the accuracy I want yet. I probably havent found the right load yet.

What loads are those of you who are getting sub moa using? I would love to work my way up to them and give them a go.

CHEERS!

Thanks for all of the relpies guys!
This has definately made choosing alot easier for me. Looks like I'm leaning toward the SDM 20" 1-7" twist with a matched bolt.

Did any of you shell out the extra for the bolt?

Thanks again guys!

I have never bought the bolt, but if you are looking for the max accuracy that you can get, spend the extra for the bolt. It is a small price to pay for your sanity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all of the relpies guys!
This has definately made choosing alot easier for me. Looks like I'm leaning toward the SDM 20" 1-7" twist with a matched bolt.

Did any of you shell out the extra for the bolt?

Thanks again guys! </div></div>

I did. Just put everything together tonight. I went with their 18" SPR and lookin forward to tomar to see how well it shoot's breakin the stick in.

No need for the bolt unless yours is worn out or is chrome plated. It will have ZERO effect on accuracy. All that matters is condition and headspace. Chrome bolts need to be headspaced to since the coating thickness varies. USGI spec bolts run within half a thou of each other over thousands of units.

I just ordered the 18" SPR Match Barrel with rifle length gas system yesterday. After reading many posts here & other places it appears WOA barrels are hard to beat for the money.

FWIW - I got the headspaced bolt to go with it. I probably wouldn't have, but I needed a bolt for the build anyway.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Togeneral99</div><div class="ubbcode-body">please do give an update after shooting today! </div></div>

Shot about 30 rounds or so through it today. The load was one that runs good in a stock 24" Bushy, 60 Vmax, 23.5 H322 LC brass. Didn't really impress me at all but I was planning on runnin heavier pills in the spr anyways. It shot around .75 MOA but I wasn't really shooting for groups tho. This weekend i'll try and shoot some 68/69's through it and see what they'll do. Locals in town didn't have any 77 SMK so i'll just have to order some...