• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision What would be a good illuminator for a PVS26, 27, 30? Perst, PEQ, or other? Looking for options for night hunting.

stefan73

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Mar 6, 2006
    CENLA
    I am looking for night hunting options and to expand a bit. What would be a good illuminator for a night hunting for a PVS26, 27 or 30? Something for us "poors" ;)
    I wouldn't really need the IR laser but the illuminator would come in handy. Are there other better options besides the Perst, Raid, PEQ?

Interesting, I wonder how the Dbal would fit on a Sako ITRS with a clipon?

The dbal is a nice unit, but the illuminator can't be focused, so depending on the range you're looking to shoot it may not cut it. Perst 3 has a variable power switch (which I find pretty handy) and the illumination is clean. FP peq is the old standby, but you'll be purchasing a gray market unit (doesn't bother me, but others don't want anything to do with it). Really depends on distance you're shooting, and budget.

I don't have any experience with the SPIR or Luna, but others on here have good luck. Do a quick search, this is a pretty heavily discussed topic.

MAWL, if you can stomach the price. There are a few legit Full Power DBAL-A3’s out there at $3K. Full power unlocked Raptar ES from someone looking to unload theirs from the Group Buy, but that might be a little early.

Reactions: camocorvette
    I thought the D2 could be focused ? Any rate its all in the cost and what you need!

Here is a quick pic @jwramp grabbed the other night of 2 of the mentioned ones if it helps for reference.

Attachments

• IR.jpg
      IR.jpg
      238.1 KB · Views: 99
    • F6AA4CD3-FEF6-4905-AF3C-F1EF95BCF958.jpeg
      F6AA4CD3-FEF6-4905-AF3C-F1EF95BCF958.jpeg
      584.8 KB · Views: 115
    Reactions: PowPowHawg
    I could be wrong on the dbal focus, but seem to recall the one I played with wouldn't tighten down. Threw a lot of IR out, but once we got past 400 yards it seemed to peter out compared to a peq where the usable distance increases as the beam is tightened.

The rheostat adjustment on the perst is pretty cool and it seems to have as much, if not more, juice than my 45 mw peq.

I own a DBAL D2 and for the price it is an excellent laser illuminator and one of the few non-MAWL civilian options that will reach out to several hundred yards. Many other popular civilian options seem to drop off as you go beyond 100 yards, so they are not great for hunting.

You can control the beam width by turning the bezel on the illuminator. The manual says you can adjust it from a 2 degree illuminator beam to a 30 degree beam. At its widest it almost fills your viewport from a standard PVS-14 monocular. At its narrowest, the beam is maybe about twice the size of the narrow beam on the MAWL. The laser also has good reach to use for aiming.

Reactions: Huskydriver
    I'm consistently impressed with the ELIR, especially for $350 retail (B&H was the last place I googled and saw them in stock). Nice small form factor that tucks onto a side-rail a little easier than some of the larger laser units when you have a clip-on mounted, and infinitely focusable down to a small beam for when you're really zoomed in. Nice rheostat knob on it too if you don't need it full blast.

I could be wrong on the dbal focus, but seem to recall the one I played with wouldn't tighten down. Threw a lot of IR out, but once we got past 400 yards it seemed to peter out compared to a peq where the usable distance increases as the beam is tightened.

The rheostat adjustment on the perst is pretty cool and it seems to have as much, if not more, juice than my 45 mw peq.

You are full of crap. A dbal d2 can focus down just as tight as a mawl. If you don't really know don't comment on stuff. The dbal easily can be seen 500-600 yards on a full ipsc.

Last edited:
    Interesting, I wonder how the Dbal would fit on a Sako ITRS with a clipon?

The problem with mounting any illuminator on the rifle with a clip on is wash out.

When I'm shooting long range at night with a 27 or 30, the guy lighting up the target is using behind or off to the side and above us for the best results.

You are full of crap. A dbal d2 can focus down just as tight as a mawl. If you don't really know don't comment on stuff. The dbal easily can be seen @900 1k yards in full ipsc.
    Does it increase the intensity of the beam, or just make the circle smaller? Genuinely curious.

Does it increase the intensity of the beam, or just make the circle smaller? Genuinely curious.

The d2 has a high and low output...300mw and 600mw. You can focus the beam from 2 degrees or wide open at 30 degrees...it's pretty much the best pointer/illuminator for less than 1.5k

So, messing around I slapped an Attila on the side of the sako with a clip on (sounds a little dirty, I know but it was just to test it out). Only wash out issue I had was branches, leaves in front of me. The Attila is going to go onto my AR, a blast from the past thanks to someone cool on this site.

I put a Luna on there now and it works if the beam is not too tight. I adjusted the Luna's beam so it was centered and then widened the spread to cover the area of the clipon. Of course turning down the rheostat for close stuff and up for farther. The awesome thing was getting into the shadows! Now I know what I have been missing.

That would be nice to have someone to designate/illuminate a target for me but I am a solo hunter with only two hands so,

BTW, I found a cool piece of kit. I probably won't buy it but it looks interesting, a LA4/PEQ.

Thanks for all the advice/help.