• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing What would be the "best" budget scope on the market right now? ($400-$1000)

Luminiksu_

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2019
I am looking for a good budget scope to mount on my new Tikka T3x (.308)

Mostly for moose and whitetail deer hunting. I was thinking about getting something like the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44.
I would like to know about your experiences with different optics.

“Best” is subjective in my opinion. For a mostly hunting scope...I’d get something with capped windage...a true zero stop on elevation....and without illumination.

I’d look at scopes like the Leupold vx3i LRP series or the Athlon Midas TAC series. I know there are others out there...these are just ones I looked into heavily when making the same decision as you

I have 2 Midas TACs and I love them. I’ll be buying more in the future.

I have the next step up in magnification range of the HS-T line (6-24 maybe? Been a while since I've had it out) and it works for me. That Vortex would more than likely serve you well enough for your usage. Only other thing I could offer is get behind a few of them at a local gun shop or chain store if you can and see what you prefer.

My only other real experience is with the Bushnell Elite series of scopes (HDMR and HDMR-II), both of which are good and can be had at attractive prices now since they've come out with the DMR-II Pro series of scopes. Only real downside is they're going to be heavier than the HS-T you mentioned.

The Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15 x 50 from Camera land. Should be a blinking banner at the bottom of your post.
I bought 2 of them & for the money it's a steel.
Athlon is coming out with new models so these are getting sold cheap.
When their gone price goes back to 800
1573759330934.png

“Best” is very subjective. I think you are on the right track with Vortex. You can get them in the SH Px pretty easily within your price range. I’ve had the Viper PST and the Razor Gen II and used both for hunting. I’m very pleased with my Vortex scopes. I have let family and friends borrow my rifle. Their only complaint is that the Razor Gen II is heavy. Personally, the weight doesn’t bother me. Sounds like you are more interested in the Viper line of scopes so weight will not be an issue anyway. I like having the zero stop turrets especially when using a scabbard on horse back, back pack, or riding in a vehicle. I think the Vortex Viper line of scopes are some of the best you can get for the price. I also like Vortex’s customer service and warranties. One of my scopes was damaged when a horse lost its footing and rolled over my rifle when it was in a saddle scabbard Vortex sent me a new scope a week later.

I personally really like the Bushnell Elite line and if you look around you can get a used for a very good price.
One of my favorites now that I got my hands on one is the LRHSi 4.5-18 For a dual purpose hunting and target scope.

Reactions: shax2lex
SWFA multi power at $799-ish, or fixed power at $299-ish.....

If you can afford $1000, save up another $500 for some real serious deals in the Classifieds.

If you’re wanting to buy new - I would go with the Trijicon Accupower 4-16x50 w/ MOA reticle with good scope rings. Trijicon is brighter than leupold in the same price range, better reticle. I have a vortex PST II that I love, but I want locking turrets or caps for a hunting rifle.

Scopes I would choose personally per price range:
> $2500
Tangent Theta
> $1000 but < $2500
Vortex AMG or Razor Gen II
< $1000
Trijicon AccuPower or Vortex PST II

The for sale optics section is something to consider as well.

Last edited:
Id say a used SWFA 5-20. Its built like a tank and just works. Ive had mine for a very long time and mess with it all the time. It is still dead on accurate and the turret is on point.

Get one of the remaining Leica Magnus closeout scopes from Eurooptic. You'll have $2000 glass for $900. Best fucking deal going.

-Stooxie

Tikka T3x that is light weight, superb choice for a hunting rig. I would not top it with a lead weight Vortex. I have HST on my vermit rig, nice but too large and too heavy to carry all day. Light is right, lighter is righter.

Nightforce SHV 3-10x42. Cameraland has them for $750 right now. Capped windage and elevation, but the elevation dial can be run up and down and it tracks, well, like a Nightforce...

Reactions: jwood1284
I have a Athlon Argos I got for a little over $300 that I regularly shootout to 500 yds. I ont know what most people call a budget scope but to me it’s money i don’t have to save for

As you’re talking about moose and whitetails, would think max field of view would be an appropriate consideration, regardless of power setting. I have SWFA’s, LRTS/LRHSi, DMR’s through PRO, couple of Weaver EMDR 3-15x50 illuminated-which are on closeout in several venues and pretty good value/Japanese mfg. Would bet some of your hunting ranges could wind up inside 50yds, where a 6-24 won’t be well utilized. Field of view, lower power, light gathering, decent glass and possibly illuminated might serve you well. Love the LRHSi for my applications, but slightly limited field of view at 4.5x. You might check out their 3-12 model, as well.

Reactions: stello1001
Good point. For close in / snap shooting, in addition to lower power, I would practice bringing the gun and scope to eye quickly. You can develop the capability to bring the gun up with your target right where it is supposed to be in your scope. I do some guiding and have seen many folks having trouble finding the target. So before we go out, I help them with some techniques to put the gun and scope where it needs to be when they mount up.

A good friend and shooting partner got himself booked for an Alaskan moose hunt, for which we practiced for several months. Run 50 yds, shoot out to 250yds or so, and repeat-often, trying to induce exercise stress and shot acquisition and execution at longer distances. All said, when he finally got his opportunity, moose was within 25yds and was a snap shot that was taken with gear set up almost purely for long range. He said all he could see was hair in his scope. Got the moose-a nice one-but it changed his whole perspective on how to approach a future hunt.

Reactions: Stooxie
Wow, good for your shooting partner. According to AKFG, the average shot is 275 yards. I used a Leupold FX3 Alaskan fixed 3x for decades. Never needed or wanted more.

A good friend and shooting partner got himself booked for an Alaskan moose hunt, for which we practiced for several months. Run 50 yds, shoot out to 250yds or so, and repeat-often, trying to induce exercise stress and shot acquisition and execution at longer distances. All said, when he finally got his opportunity, moose was within 25yds and was a snap shot that was taken with gear set up almost purely for long range. He said all he could see was hair in his scope. Got the moose-a nice one-but it changed his whole perspective on how to approach a future hunt.

I sacrificed weight and a little glass clarity (but still good enough for me) for durability. Picked up a Burris XTRII 3-15 new for $750. Have taken 3 mule deer and an antelope it. Longest shot was 510yds. Not a doubt in my mind it will hold zero and track when it counts.

I love my Leupold vx5hd. Firedot recticle,motion sensor,lightweight 3-15 power.lifetime warranty At $899 its hard to beat

SWFA 3-15 is an excellent scope and hard to beat for the sale price.

I love my Leupold vx5hd. Firedot recticle,motion sensor,lightweight 3-15 power.lifetime warranty At $899 its hard to beat
I agree with ?? Lightweight, excellent light gathering, capped windage, zero stop elevation and custom turret for your cartridge. I love mine and always returns to zero after changing yardage.

4C651B3D-3966-4BD7-90BE-5F8FDCEAF548.jpeg

I agree - definitely tons of options out there. I'd be looking at the Leupold VX3i 4.5-14. Keeps things nice and light.

Here's what my T3 .308 looks like with that exact set up:
IMG_6554.jpg

IMG_6555.jpg

Find a used Vortex HD LH 2-10x40 or 1.5-8x32 for a lightweight hunting setup if you don't need to twist turrets

As you’re talking about moose and whitetails, would think max field of view would be an appropriate consideration, regardless of power setting. I have SWFA’s, LRTS/LRHSi, DMR’s through PRO, couple of Weaver EMDR 3-15x50 illuminated-which are on closeout in several venues and pretty good value/Japanese mfg. Would bet some of your hunting ranges could wind up inside 50yds, where a 6-24 won’t be well utilized. Field of view, lower power, light gathering, decent glass and possibly illuminated might serve you well. Love the LRHSi for my applications, but slightly limited field of view at 4.5x. You might check out their 3-12 model, as well.

How do you think the weaver 3-15 stacks up against the SWFA? I had a few weavers and regret selling them. They are such a find piece of glass for these very purposes. Reticle a bit outdated but for me it worked very well as it was not cluttered and my rifle goes with me hunting.