• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What would be the major difference ....

Snip-er

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2017
Federal Gold Medal 308 168 Grain Sierra MatchKing and Federal Gold Medal 308 175 Grain Sierra Match King when it comes to long distance shooting? They both show the same specs. Just trying to figure out which one would be best to go with. I'm sure this has been asked a million times.

Also, same question goes for reloads. I have someone who can reload 308 to whatever spec I want, so what would be good for reloads as well. Thanks

I’ve always shot the 175 for the higher bc. The 168 is fine to 600 or 800 or something around there. Someone will likely chime in more familiar with the 168. A fairly local 1000 yard match range won’t allow 168 smk because they typically won’t stabilize out to 1000 yards.

Reactions: Snip-er
And as far as reloads go you can’t go wrong with Lapua Brass, cci or federal match primer and whichever powder charge of varget or imr 4064 your rifle likes best. I’ve had excellent results with both those powders.

Reactions: Snip-er
Pretty much summed up, the 175 is good to 1k. Other than that whichever your gun prefers

At my club I’ve shot 168 SMKs at a MV around 2620 FPS out to 950 yds and they were good to around 880 yds but at 950 yds I was getting some weird dope, like elevation a mil higher than predicted. At 950 the bullets were in the transonic range and the ballistics were unpredictable.

The 168 suffers from dynamic instability due to its boat tail angle. So I read anyway. I shot a zillion of those things and had good success with them...not always though. The 175 would be the better choice. I’d choose a bunch of bullets over either of those these days. Lots of great bullets in 30 cal.

The 168 suffers from dynamic instability due to its boat tail angle. So I read anyway. I shot a zillion of those things and had good success with them...not always though. The 175 would be the better choice. I’d choose a bunch of bullets over either of those these days. Lots of great bullets in 30 cal.

I agree. I’ll be tempted to test a better bc bullet when I run out of 175smk’s. They are hard to leave because they aren’t finicky to jump. Im still burning a factory Remington 5r milspec barrel which has a huge jump. I would love to true it and Rebarrel but it shoots good enough I can’t make myself drop the money yet.

What other rounds would your recommend? I will primarily be shooting out to 200-600 yards, but I will hit some ranges out to 1k. I want to find one bullet that is consistent from 100-1000 yards and stick with it. Will take all advice on Ammo as I have not shot my rifle yet since I got it. Thanks

Sierra makes a tipped 175 now, so if you’re particular to Sierra, I’d go that route. I’ve been shooting a lot of Hornady eld bullets in the last two years or so. I’m particular to them at the moment. I don’t shoot 308 anymore, but if I was, I’d look into the 178 eld. If you look at midway right now, the 178 is on sale (seems like every other month they are), and $10 cheaper per box than the Sierra 175 tmk. Even everyday price on the Hornady is quite a bit cheaper.