• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What would be your next step?

-R-

Tactical as F***
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2014
CA
I've been shooting/hunting since I was a kid but Im somewhat of a noob in the precision rifle game.

I've been putting together my first budget build, what would be your next upgrade? (stock? DBM? trigger? something else????)

I have done quite a bit of searching/research but there is no replacement for experience. (which I lack, and why I'm asking :eek:)

Here is what im working with so far.

Rem700 sps tactical in .308 (20" bbl)
Vortex PST 4-16x50 mil/mil
NF 20moa rail, NF UL rings
harris 6-9 notched leg and podloc handle
Triad stock pack

Trigger, I have the a Remington 700 aac and I got a flat faced single stage Timney trigger and it is a joy to shoot. Without the trigger, I would have sold it a long time ago.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Trigger, I have the a Remington 700 aac and I got a flat faced single stage Timney trigger and it is a joy to shoot. Without the trigger, I would have sold it a long time ago.

How do you like the flat faced opposed to the traditional curved?

How much are you looking to spend?

<$150? Trigger
~$600+? Stock

Somewhere in that neighborhood, I dont feel like its really justifiable spending 1000 bucks for a stock for the stock action/barrel, of course I may be wrong?

I'd prefer a drop in opposed to having to have it sent out to be inletted. Or is that not a possibility?

Somewhere in that neighborhood, I dont feel like its really justifiable spending 1000 bucks for a stock for the stock action/barrel, of course I may be wrong?

I'd prefer a drop in opposed to having to have it sent out to be inletted. Or is that not a possibility?

I can understand the hesitation. In that case, it may be better to look at a chassis since you won't need to pay for a new bottom metal and bedding. You can find AICS and XLRs for $700+ and KRG has their new X-Ray chassis that looks pretty nice. This would free float your barrel and allow you to run detachable magazines. Any of these should give you much better results than the Hogue stock that comes with the sps tactical.

In terms of bang for your buck, the trigger will probably be a more noticeable, immediate upgrade.

You'll eventually upgrade both.

To properly answer your question can you honestly say how the rifle shoots now? If it shows good potential then a new stiffer, more comfortable, properly bedded stock or a chassis would be a good way to invest your money into the rifle. If you are having a hard time being consistent with the rifle and feel like you cant shoot it to its potential then spend the money on ammo &dry fire the hell out of it. Sometimes the best upgrades for accuracy is not made to the weapon system but to the shooter by proper practice...

IMO with a factory 700 trigger accuracy can be just as good as with any trigger out there, they just may not be as refined but they get the job done. I would do a trigger as one of the finishing touches on a rifle not a starting point. Too many people upgrade the trigger on a 700 the first thing. Not that a trigger upgrade is a bad thing at all, but I just would never put it before replacing the factory tupperwear stock on a rifle that shows promise. Save the $100 to $250 for the trigger upgrade and put it towards a properly bedded stock of your choice or a chassis like the KRG, AICS, or Mcree (Mcree gets my vote).

I like the flat face, for feel and if I am honest, looks. The trigger wasn't the first thing I did to the rifle. I got a tac_21 chassis but I wouldn't recommend it. I'll be getting a ax338mc with 308 conversion kit when it is available. Then I will sell my 700. Therefore, I don't want to put another chassis on my 700. You should look up the little fix with aluminum can strips. You cut them up and you wedge them near the lug and the receiver. Basically the last place where you want the barrel to touch the stock. It lifts the barrel above the stock end and effectively makes it free float. Look it up. I did and I thought it helped.

I just picked up a mcmilan A5 BDL(non adjustable) stock for a reasonable price. I was looking at a chassis and to be completely honest I dont like the looks quite as much as a traditional stock.

Now for my next question. What bottom metal is out there that will fit a BDL without inletting? I did some searching and it looks like PT&G has a drop in kit?

Also any advice where I should send the stock for bedding? Is it mandatory to have it bedded right away?

Sorry for the noob-ish questions, theres a plethora of information out there and I see mixed answers on these topics.