• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What would cause a horizontal spread in a barrel

tag_heuer

Lead Farmer and Garbage Collector
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2013
NOR CAL
Took I shot my 223 bolt action for the first time. It would group the 5 shots in a horizontal spread approximately 4” long. This happen nearly every time I tried to get a 5 round group. I used 3 different types of ammo and same thing each time. I had two other people try the gun with the same results. I took the muzzle brake off, same result.

The gun is in a manners t6a, barrel is 22 “ bartlien 1:7, ammo was 77 gr prime, 85 gr nosler, and 77 gr gorilla.

Any ideas what would cause this?

are you loading the bipod and what type of target are you shooting at. sometimes if you don't have a good aiming point then you will induce some stringing. Also, bad fundamentals will do it as well.

are you loading the bipod and what type of target are you shooting at. sometimes if you don't have a good aiming point then you will induce some stringing. Also, bad fundamentals will do it as well.
Bipod was load. It was 100 yard target. It wasn’t fundamentals. I did the proper trigger control, position, breathing, follow through etc. I even had two other trusted shooter try with the same results.

Probably a silly question but have you gone over all of your fasteners again and verified proper tongue as well as checked for contact points in the barrel channel ?

Left or right? Left I'd guess you're pushing the gun, right, slapping the trigger. If it's not shooter, then the barrel is showing stresses.

Left or right? Left I'd guess you're pushing the gun, right, slapping the trigger. If it's not shooter, then the barrel is showing stresses.
its not the shooter. We tried 3 different people on the gun. If its showing stress, what would cause this?

barring something loose:

1. barrel channel contact.
2. uneven bedding - look for uneven wear on it. the bedding can grab and release an action if the recoil bearing surfaces are crooked, and do this.
3. scope erector failure. try known good

Reactions: rijndael
barring something loose:

1. barrel channel contact.
2. uneven bedding - look for uneven wear on it. the bedding can grab and release an action if the recoil bearing surfaces are crooked, and do this.
3. scope erector failure. try known good

This. Sounds like a bedding or maybe scope issue.

Have you checked the scope rings? I had stringing from my Swarovski. What I found out was the scope was sliding forward on recoil. Same original rings and scope on 2 other rifles, same caliber rifle. So not sure what happened but new rings solved the problem

My first guesses in order of likely hood.
1. Scope rail or scope ring issue.
2. Something wonky in the assembly of the gun. Not just bedding, but maybe barrel loose in receiver, etc... Have a pro check it over in detail.
3. Scope went bad, but this is unlikely.

Something major is wrong. What you are decribing is not common and is not from shooter error.

My first guesses in order of likely hood.
1. Scope rail or scope ring issue.
2. Something wonky in the assembly of the gun. Not just bedding, but maybe barrel loose in receiver, etc... Have a pro check it over in detail.
3. Scope went bad, but this is unlikely.

Something major is wrong. What you are decribing is not common and is not from shooter error.

I appreciate the response. I’ll take it out of the stock and put it in a chassis. It’ll go to the smith on Tuesday. I’ll recplace the barrel too

it probably isn’t the barrel. when barrels give up the ghost it’s usually circular. try it in the chassis if you have on around and let us know. bring another scope if you can.

it probably isn’t the barrel. when barrels give up the ghost it’s usually circular. try it in the chassis if you have on around and let us know. bring another scope if you can.
I’ll be back at the range on April 6. I’ll let you know.

What bottom metal? I have seen the PTG mag well tall enough that it contacted the bottom of the action before it could contact the pillars.

What bottom metal? I have seen the PTG mag well tall enough that it contacted the bottom of the action before it could contact the pillars.
It’s Spartan Precision Rifles’ bottom metal. I watched them build my rifle too....pretty bad ass. This is the third one they’ve built for me.

Okay...I think I've solved the problem. I want to thank everyone for their input. It wasn't the barrel at all. I was the scope base. It was loose. And it was my fault because I'm the one who installed it. I feel stupid, but I feel good because I solved the problem.

Okay...I think I've solved the problem. I want to thank everyone for their input. It wasn't the barrel at all. I was the scope base. It was loose. And it was my fault because I'm the one who installed it. I feel stupid, but I feel good because I solved the problem.

Nailed it with my first guess. Haha

Reactions: tag_heuer
Don't feel bad at all. When I have an issue with a built rifle my conversation with the builder invariably starts, "Now, this is most likely operator error...". I'm almost always right!

Reactions: tag_heuer
How'd you diagnose this? I am assuming it wasn't "that" loose or you'd have noticed immediately.

For future reference, when I install a base, I bed the base to the receiver with the same Loc-Tite Blue I use for the base screws. Generally, it can be removed with a (few) sharp tap(s) using a light hammer and wooden dowel.

When it's down, I back off the screws about a turn, and put a drop under the screw head, and retighten them; so a loose base is still in lateral contact with the screws.

Greg

For future reference, when I install a base, I bed the base to the receiver with the same Loc-Tite Blue I use for the base screws. Generally, it can be removed with a (few) sharp tap(s) using a light hammer and wooden dowel.

When it's down, I back off the screws about a turn, and put a drop under the screw head, and retighten them; so a loose base is still in lateral contact with the screws.

Greg
I didn’t screw it down properly because the gun need to be taken apart for paint and I forgot that I didn’t do it properly. I wanted to test shoot it so bad