• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes What would cause this?

ryznstr15

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2009
Nevada
I would first like to say thank you for taking the time to read this post, with that please forgive me if this has been asked and answered. I searched the site for the answer with no luck. So here we go, this evening I was laser bore sighting my new rifle and noticed that while I was looking through my Vortex Crossfire 6x22x50 every time I moved my head the red dot(from the tool) would also move thus causing me to set and reset the scope. What would be the cause of this? I placed the bore sighting tool into another rifle with a Millet scope and this did not exist at all.

Re: What would cause this?

Just like what parallax says above, what you are seeing is parallax. If you do not have the parallax adjusted for the distance you are sighting you will get this. I can assure you that any and every magnified optic available will do this. It will also be much more prevalent at closer distances, so the closer you get to your target the more you will notice this. To adjust your parallax get behind the scope and move you head from side to side while focusing on the reticle and your target, now start adjusting your parallax until the reticle is moving as little as you are possibly able to get it.

Hope this helps.

Scott

You already have the answer to your question. My comment is, why waste your time with a bore sight tool?
Place your rifle in a rest, or shimm it to be solid, pull the bolt out of your rifle, and peek down the barrel, make adjustments as needed.
I sight in on my neighbors irrigation pump at 90 yards and it gets me within inches at 100 yards when I go to the range and put it on paper.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You already have the answer to your question. My comment is, why waste your time with a bore sight tool?
Place your rifle in a rest, or shimm it to be solid, pull the bolt out of your rifle, and peek down the barrel, make adjustments as needed.
I sight in on my neighbors irrigation pump at 90 yards and it gets me within inches at 100 yards when I go to the range and put it on paper.
SScott </div></div>

+1 that's what I do (Letter Box Lamp) as well.