• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

what would it cost to get you to drop test ur kit?

Ndbowhunter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2020
i'd like to propose a drop test challenge.

5 shot 100 yard zero, picture of you dropping scope from waist height.. then reconfirming zero with 5shots.

1 entry for every submittal with pics.. 2 for a video. pretty ez to scam this but it what it is. my 5 year old will put your screen names in a bowl and pick one out.

if i donate a 50$ gift certificate to a snipershide vendor would you to participate??

Last edited:
I've done it before. Didn't document it though.

I pushed a shooting bag onto a bench and accidentally knocked off my 20lb rifle with an XTRII on it. Hell of a ding and a .3 shift right. Scope was fine.

I did have my horse roll over on my rifle in its scabbard once, and didn't lose zero. Was more than a little surprised at that. He landed on it pretty hard.

Honestly, holding zero is a lot to expect. The scope not busting all to hell would be a worthy goal 🤣

I have a 3 year old German shorthair pointer who loves hunting and in turn loves guns. If you stand still to long while bird hunting he will try to rip the shotgun out of your hand. Fancy wood o/u owners beware. There’s been a few times I’ve had my rifle up on a bench or on the tripod and come back and that little sum a bitch knocked it right over or yanked it off the bench. Every time and there’s been quite a few my zero was still dead on. Mostly Leupold optics and at least one real good one with an Athlon Argos. I especially remember the Athlon time cause I had to clean mud and gravel from every nook and cranny. Got to love a fast paced bird dog!

I literally let my shit fall three feet off a barricade last weekend (accidentally). Picked it up, wiped off the mud, went back to work and shot better in that venue than ever before. Zero didn’t change a tenth.

Can I have 50$?

Was out coyote hunting in the Owyhees back in 2000.
Had my 243 700 VS on the back of the ATV.

It took a 45 mph tumble and slid/bounced over the gravel and volcanic rocks.

Went back, picked it up and dusted it off.
Picked out a 4" rock at 200 and hit it about an inch off center.
Re-zeroed the Leupold 4-12 Vari-X-II and went and killed coyotes.

The rifle now belongs to a buddy that retired back to Kansas.
The scope is on my CZ-527 22 Hornet.

• Love
Reactions: straightandtrue
My guns fall off the tractor all the time. So far haven’t had any lose zero. Mixture of Leupold, Zeiss, Vortex, NF optics

Well... I knocked over my 18 lbs total rifle on my Nikon Black FX1000 from a chest-height counter onto a hardwood floor. I was carrying my girlfriend at the time to the bedroom after a night out and had been dry firing that day so the gun was out... knocked it over in the sexy time frenzy and still maintained a stiffy. Scope goes to 1,000 just fine and there's a mark in my floor forever, but that's about it! :)

PM me for address to send money. :)

Reactions: 308pirate
What's the difference in price between a LNIB scope in the PX and a used and abused one? That would be my answer. Also add the cost for the differences in the price of the rifle attached as well. I don't think $50 is covering it.

What is it that you think you’d learn from a stranger doing this?

Did the scope lose zero? Rings move? Base move? Action relative to stock? Barrel issue? Muzzle brake shift? Stock issue? Shooter issue? Ammo issue? Combination of all of the above?

Can I just send the "after" photos and collect my prize?

Dropped a barrel off the work bench onto the cement floor a week ago, snapped the front of the scope right off!

A nice late 70's, early 80's "TV view" Tasco. :D
Dang it, I was planning on putting it on a .22!

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208

5 shot 100 yard zero, picture of you dropping scope from waist height.. then reconfirming zero with 5shots.

1 entry for every submittal with pics.. 2 for a video. pretty ez to scam this but it what it is. my 5 year old will put your screen names in a bowl and pick one out.

if i donate a 50$ gift certificate to a snipershide vendor would you to participate??
$50??
I hear it'll get you a hand job over at Rokslide

Id go with the replacement cost and availability of it's replacement + the pain and suffering , or mental anguish it would cause by doing something stupid like dropping something on purpose I paid for . so double replacement cost yea I forgot to add in 1k for mental anguish and stress . lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 308pirate

Did the scope lose zero? Rings move? Base move? Action relative to stock? Barrel issue? Muzzle brake shift? Stock issue? Shooter issue? Ammo issue? Combination of all of the above?
Actually the OP just designed an IQ test and is trying to see how many of us would do some stupid, foul words omitted intentionally. The OP actually said it would be hard to check. So what others have said, to the OP, do it yourself. Let us know how that goes.

Let me explain:
Nobody is willing to drop their $2000 Leupold, because it will break.
Nobody will drop their ZCO or TT because it will likely break and who knows if the warranty is any good!!!
Nobody will drop their Vortex because everyone knows they are bullet proof, riiiiiggggghhhhht!
Blah blah blah.

Screenshot_20211211-143357_Facebook.jpg

I think there are a few YouTubers that are pretty rough on their equipment so we don’t have to try it ourselves. That said I’ll do it if you cover the cost of the ammo and replacement if failure occurs. I just did some 100 yard ammo testing with my AR so I’ll throw it to test the durability of the Sig Tango MSR.

I’ve done it 3x in 2021. Once was a 6x SS on my Howa Alpine that slipped from my fingers when the wife handed it to me. Dropped from over waist height and landed on the elevation turret and rolled to the wind age turret. Ground was frozen clay. Shot to same POI as it has for 2 years when I mounted the scope. Next was my 4-20 XTRII mounted on my 18” AR with a MI QD mount. This tipped over out of a JD Gator that was idling. I stood the rifle up on the buttstock leaning on the dash for some reason, over it went and fell on the windage turret. Punched a doe at 310+ yards less than 10 minutes later. My Weaver 3-15 Tactical rides on a large frame AR in a MI QD mount. That gun spends time in the camper getting bounced and has hit the floor once on the windage turret judging by how it was laying on the floor. Drop was about 2 ft. Still the same POI it’s had for the last 4 years.

I may actually drop a few on purpose just to see.

Did the scope lose zero? Rings move? Base move? Action relative to stock? Barrel issue? Muzzle brake shift? Stock issue? Shooter issue? Ammo issue? Combination of all of the above

To your point- we have dropped rifles- scope down- on to everything from grass to concrete... 100's of times during testing of our Scope Armor. This includes an FBI demo in which we dropped a Zeiss Duravari equipped TRG-42 onto concrete 13x's in a row, from shoulder height, with a requirement to hold the same zero.. we passed.
What we did learn in all of those drops? At times the scope could take a tremendous pounding with no failure- and also fail with little apparent impact. Location, location, location of the impact. What components. Caps do a good job acting as crush zones. Crush to the the adjustment components.... or the ocular side.. not so good. While countless examples can be described for survival we have also seen scopes fail in a 12" tip over. Back to the location/angles of impact.
What we did find is that POI shifted more than "scope failures", for all of the issues noted above. If you are secure in dropping a rifle and not re-zero then there is no issue. We saw to many shifts, loss of torque on rings, scope mounts, action screws to ignore what an impact does. Calculate the impact value of a 15lb rifle dropped from 36"... onto concrete or asphalt and you will be shocked at the g event. "Cushioning" the impact (crush zone) even by .100" has a dramatic effect on the g event of a drop. However, an ocular impact even on grass might be game over as the construction of the scope makes that the weak point- things bend.
To your point- its the system not just the scope.
How many scope failures or POI shifts are you willing to risk or system shift failures during a drop? I think that is the insurance policy cost.
And yes we have dropped our ZCO's onto floors as demoes.. I still cringe even though we have not had a failure. Jeff would cringe if he saw his scope dropping towards concrete with a 20lb gun behind it... not sure he would cover that warranty.

Knowing customer service and warranty, I'll yeet any of my Steiners off my roof if you put your money where your mouth is, but I have a lot of scopes.

This is the stupidest thread I have seen and there are a lot of them here. To drop test your setup I would think everyone on here would at the minimum need the cost of said setup covered + some since shit has gone up since most setups were probably put together.

NightForce had a video where they used the scope as a hammer to drive a nail, then the scope still worked. You go first and see if that works.

Maybe we need to drop test actions and stocks... ATACR fared better than the rest of the rifle.

Attachments

• IMG_20220225_092903648_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220225_092903648_HDR.jpg
    911.3 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_20220225_093030837.jpg
    IMG_20220225_093030837.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20220225_093021857.jpg
    IMG_20220225_093021857.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Wow
Reactions: Jefe's Dope
I’ve done/do it all the time.

Unfortunately I have also broken some stocks tossing rifles.

There's a sweet spot on torque. When I was into mountain bikes in my younger years you wanted things (your brake levers, shifters, etc) snugged good but not gorilla tight.

The wisdom being if you wrecked out they would move rather than snap. Then you could loosen them up, move em back, tighten down again.

Had something similar happen recently. Was digging around in the safe. Leaned the match rifle (~24lbs) against my bench while digging. Have a puppy in the house, heard her whining upstairs at the front door.

Went running up to let her out. Heard a loud babboom crash when I got up there and was like "fuckkkkk that was my rifle"

Went back down and sure as shit it had tipped over and went down. Picked it up, took a peek, reticle canted. So now I'm like well shit... did I just bork a $3k scope or did it just move in the rings?

Re-leveled it, and it's fine...it hit and twisted in the rings. Much better than bending, breaking, etc. 21inlbs on the cap screws.

Little luck doesn't hurt either. Would I drop it from shoulder height on purpose? Fuck that. Abuse your own shit I paid good money for mine.

Maybe it would break maybe not, I don't plan to find out. I've seen a lot of the scope testing manufacturers do and the scope should be able to take the fall just fine.

The problem is when 15-20+ lbs of rifle comes down on top of it, that's asking for more than any scope is designed to handle.

I’ve done/do it all the time.

Unfortunately I have also broken some stocks tossing rifles.
Did you find some stocks took the impact better than others? I think aluminum would hold up better than carbon or fiberglass, but I've been wrong before...

It’s all in how it hits. My nephew dropped a brand new I phone while upside down on the tallest roller coaster in Florida. That joker fell 150’ onto solid concrete. Next day someone from the theme park called from his phone and it didn’t have a single flaw. Then I’ve had a phone drop from 2.5’ and the entire screen is shattered. Probably the same principle with the optics just luck of the draw.

This appears to be the Formid drop test over at Rokslide, where they slam on guys for not abusing their kit. His drop test on a TT315 raised some eyebrows.

Been away the week but glad to see stupidity still here on the Hide. LOL Hey guys I will give a $50 gift cert for you to deliberately drop your thousands of dollars in gear to prove some stupid internet BS. What you think? LOL Priceless.