• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Would You Do?? Armalite AR-10 Super SASS vs. SA M1A w/ Troy Chassis

ssnfa

Sergeant
Minuteman
A customer owes me some cash and instead of the cash he has offered up one of the following:

#1 Brand New Armalite Super SASS with Leupold M4 and 10 extra Mags. Rifle has been professionally multicam dipped.

#2 Brand New SA M1A Super Match w/ Troy Chassis (not sure which one yet) and 10 extra mags and a Leupold Scope (He described it as a intermediate power high end scope, but I have not seen what model it is yet.) This also has been professionally dipped.

Either package seems to be at least 40% more in "used" value then he owes me, but he has owed me for a loooooong time and I have been very very understandable about it.

How say you??

Last edited:
Is the SASS an A model that takes Pmags? I think springer quality has gone down hill in the last 5-10 years. That being said that Troy Chassis is worth a bit and would house an SEI Crazy horse very nicely..

Last edited:
AR-10 all the way. At least for myself. I find more value in the AR setup.

Go with super sass i have had some super nice m1a rifles and my less expensive ar10 platforms always shot better

Take the M1A, sell it with the mags and Troy chassis. Keep the scope and use the funds to build yourself a custom .308 based AR. Pocket the leftover change or buy ammo.

Useless you are shooting suppressed, the adjustable gas system on the SASS is not worth it and just another area "things can go wrong".

depends on what you already have. m1a is a good gun to have in a collection. You can always build your own ar 308.

Does he have the original stock that came with the supermatch? A properly bedded wood or Mcmillan stock is going to outshoot a rifle in the troy chassis.

He does not have the original M1A stock, the Super SASS is the Armalite Mag version.

My main accuracy stick is a DTA Covert with .308/.338LM/.338BR and soon to be .510Whisper barrels so this one will pretty much be a toy.

Both are interesting.

Personally I'd take the Super SASS over the supermatch but then I already have an M1A that has been somewhat accurized while I no longer own any AR10s...so that is a huge hole in my collection.

If you get the supermatch sell the chassis and have it bedded in a nice wood stock, Freds has one they call the 'Big Red Birch' which is a nice piece with a classic look. Just keep in mind Fred's shipping policies favor those who are east of the Mississippi and South of the Mason-Dixon line so if Indiana qualifies as 'Yankee' you may not get anything in the mail.

To me the NM M1A has more collector value. The SASS is probably going to be more accurate, but you could buy/build an accurate .308 AR for MUCH less than what it would cost to buy an M1A NM. Just my .02

Downside is that I haven't seen a lot of movement on M1As put up for sale recently, so who the hell knows.

If you get the supermatch sell the chassis and have it bedded in a nice wood stock, Freds has one they call the 'Big Red Birch' which is a nice piece with a classic look.

Don't forget they are both professionally multicam hydrodipped, including the cerekote base finish. So classic look is out of the question on the M1A.

I owned an 80's M1A Super Match and while it always shot under 1 MOA I believe the Super SASS would be the more accurate rifle. So if we mine to choose it would be the Armalite even with the proprietary mags.

If you're going to keep it, the SASS. If you're going to sell it, the M1A.
I would agree with this had the M1A not been dipped. That's kind of a personal thing and may lower it's marketability. I'd probably take the SASS, sell it, and get something I actually wanted.

The one I turned down was the M1A (crappy cell phone photo below)

Reason:

Heavy Heavy Heavy
Low Magnification Scope
Seemed involved and difficult to clean
Post Ban w/ Several Non-USGI Parts

The one I know own and plan to keep, the Armalite AR-10(T) Super SASS w/ prop mags.

Reason:

Very familiar with AR systems
Lighter
AWEEEESOME Trigger feel
4.5x14x40 M4 Scope
Enough mags that I never have to worry about find propitiatory mags anyway.

And yes.....he is a lefty! ;-)

The serial number makes me wonder if it is production rifle #3??? What say you?

p.s. yes he got scorned for the booger hook on the trigger.

p.s.s. besides the multicam dip, the only other non-factory item on the rifle is the JP forearm. As the previous owner stated "It got sent to fat camp for forearm weight loss".