• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What would you get?

ms6852

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2008
San Antonio Texas
I know you hear it all the time but I have been out of the loop for a while. I retired from the military over 16 years ago and am looking to buy an AR type rifle tomorrow at the gun show in San Antonio.

Just want something for fun. Shoot at targets, small hogs, and varmints. I do not do competitions, after surviving several conflicts don't got the energy to run dodge and jump any more.

My budget is $2100, but prefer not to spend it all if possible. Please include a scope or red dot in the price. I would really enjoy your opinions especially if you have personal experience in the weapon you recommend.

Thanks.

Re: What would you get?

Let me ask you a question. If it's "just for fun" what difference does it make? If it's fubar'd because it's cheap, you can afford to have it fixed. If it's a little better quality and a little more expensive, then you get what you pay for. But for a general "fun to shoot" there is no right or wrong answer, only your budget.

It's like saying I want a truck "to drive around".

It is for fun but why would I plunk $800 or $1500 for fubar and it will work?
If you were paying a hooker whatever money it was you would pay, would you pay for a 21 year old hooker or a 75 year old hooker? Just want to get my money's worth.

As I mentioned I am retired military but have been out of the loop and am asking for peoples recommendation based on their personal experience on their personal weapon. Thanks for nothing

For what you want to do I think a bushmaster with a full size upper would be nice, and on the lower end in cost. If you want something a little nicer then look at Rock River

I guess if that 75 year old is reliable and knows what's up...it would be awful tempting. Especially if that 21 year old was bored out and couldn't shoot for shit.

Never mind, I'd still take the 21 yr old.
grin.gif

First, stand down on the attitude. If you want a "thanks for nothing", I'll be more than happy to sign you off and you can go to ARF.com for your AR answers.

Second, who knows what your budget is? I can get you an $800 AR and you be happy as a pig in shit or I can get you a $2000 AR and that's pocket change to you so you don't mind blowing that kind of coin.

So what you want to get and what your budget is so you can shoot "just for fun" is up to you. If all your looking for is a list of AR manufacturers based on personal experience all you're going to get is a lot of different answers.

If you want a "standard" AR there is always DPMS, Bushmaster, RRA, etc.

If you're looking for something better LWRC makes a good rifle. So does JD precision out of San Diego. ScottMilk9 here on the Hide makes a nice stick. JP makes the fancy 3-gun type of ARs. And then there is GA Precision who can do wonders with a custom AR.

There are some choices to get your started and should fall within your budget.

I like my Daniel defense it's in th 1200 range.

There is probably over 150 companies making receivers. There is factory guns like dpms armalite colt bushmaster and whatnot going for 8-1100 then there's custom like gap les Baer in the 2kish range.

SW makes a sport model with no goodies for 600 all the way to a 1700 with free float rails flip sighs and magpul goodies.

For your budget and what your using it for my suggestions are RRA or S&W MP-15. both are reliable and would allow you to purchase a nice red dot (EoTech or Aimpoint) with some left over for a light, vertical grip, or ammo.

Mike I apologize for the attitude but my tactic got me the answers I needed.
Now I know that there is an ARF.com website I can go to. There is also a list of manufacturers that I know about now that I can investigate as well thanks to obxlongrange and jig stick nd you. I did mention that I have been out of the loop and have retired from the military over 16 yrs ago so your reply to me was just as condescending since you never really answered any of my concerns. I will take blame for thinking that my thread was to the point.

JP15

Order the upper and lower seperately. Itll cost you 1700 or so.

Then pick a suitable opticc for where and what you want to shoot and have at it.

Never thought of Smith and Wesson, I'll take a look. rrflyer is there a website for JP15. I was pm'd a link to spike tactical, I was impressed but seems like there is a long wait time. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I practice a lot of off hand shooting with rimfire and thought the 5.56 is another way to go with just a little bit more kick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">JP rifles. Its the ferrari of ar style rifles</span>

http://www.jprifles.com/

Be careful. I shot one 2 years ago and just now finally got one. They're like crack</div></div>

That is pure opinion and nothing more. There are MANY on here who would contest that LMT, LWRC, POF, and Noveske (to name a few) are every bit as accurate and good as a JP rifle, if not better and more visually appealing.

You could also look a La Rue, they are up in Leander which is not too far. Maybe a little more then you wanted to spend but might be worth it.

For a mil spec AR I would look hard at Daniel Defense, LMT, and BCM Those would be my top three for Direct Impingement standard AR's

A DD rifle would be around 1000- 1200 and with your 2100 you could get an aimpoint or eotech and a bunch of mags and ammo. Check out the video of the torture test.

https://danieldefense.com/TortureTest

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">JP rifles. Its the ferrari of ar style rifles</span>

Be careful. I shot one 2 years ago and just now finally got one. They're like crack</div></div>

That is pure opinion and nothing more. There are MANY on here who would contest that LMT, LWRC, POF, and Noveske (to name a few) are every bit as accurate and good as a JP rifle, if not better and more visually appealing.</div></div>
Aren't. JPs more of a competition gun versus a service gun? I don't believe that they pin the gas block. That would be just one of the obvious drawbacks. But everybody has their opinion about which is the best. It all depends on what you want and who treats you right.

I'm a big fan of the Smith and Wesson line. They offer some really well-configured rifles at good price points. My personal fav is the VTac model, but the TS model is a bit cheaper and also looks like a great setup. Either of those would treat you real well.

I'm off to the gun show. I am leaning towards the Smith and Wesson but once I get there I'll have to see what feels right. Thanks all of you for your help...wish me luck. I will put up pics and a range report soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">JP rifles. Its the ferrari of ar style rifles</span>

That is pure opinion and nothing more. There are MANY on here who would contest that LMT, LWRC, POF, and Noveske (to name a few) are every bit as accurate and good as a JP rifle, if not better and more visually appealing. </div></div>

Yes but they would all be wrong.

In reality if I had 2100 any of the top tier makers could get you a really nice rifle.

Or you could get a standard Rock River or Smith and Wesson for around 1,000 and get lotsa ammo

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">JP rifles. Its the ferrari of ar style rifles</span>

That is pure opinion and nothing more. There are MANY on here who would contest that LMT, LWRC, POF, and Noveske (to name a few) are every bit as accurate and good as a JP rifle, if not better and more visually appealing. </div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes but they would all be wrong.</span>

In reality if I had 2100 any of the top tier makers could get you a really nice rifle.

Or you could get a standard Rock River or Smith and Wesson for around 1,000 and get lotsa ammo</div></div>

Says who, you? If you're going to insist on making stupid and opinion based comments, at least give some reasons to support your statement.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">JP rifles. Its the ferrari of ar style rifles</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Yes but they would all be wrong.</span>

Or you could get a standard Rock River or Smith and Wesson for around 1,000 and get lotsa ammo</div></div>

Says who, you? If you're going to insist on making stupid and opinion based comments, at least give some reasons to support your statement. </div></div>

Did you recently lose your sense of humor and ability to notice sarcasm?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you recently lose your sense of humor and ability to notice sarcasm?</div></div>

Ha ha! Man, pardon my rudeness. It can be rather difficult at times to discern whether someone is being serious or being sarcastic. I apologize if I took your comment(s) the wrong way.

Oh, and for the record, I'm not knocking JP rifles. I've not had the opportunity to handle or fire one so...I won't be one to say something "sucks" unless I've had time on the range with it and I can give reasons to support why I felt that way. I just wanted to put that out there so no one thinks I'm knocking JP rifles.
wink.gif

Go shop around at BCM Bravo Company's website. They make great stuff, and carry lots of other brands as well. I am very fond of both BCM and Noveske. Simply based on what I think is interesting, I would probably get a monolithic upper next time. And Magpul stocks and p-mags, and BCM warfighter charging handles. And either Trijicon or Aimpoint optics. Enjoy!

I'd buy an M&P15 Sport for $650 and spend the rest of my $2100 on ammo. Then I would get really good shooting it. I think that is more tactical than a bunch of rails and shit hanging off one.

I have an 18" 1:8 twist stainless barreled AR (barrel is a medium contour). Light enough to shoot offhand, accurate enough for varminting, it's the closest thing I've had to the perfect all-around AR.

I don't need an assload of rails to make me look cool, I prefer a solid shooting precision AR that is capable of anything I (as a civilian) would ask of it.

So.....I'd (the "'d" stands both for "would" and "did") call Scott at Specialized Dynamics and have him build me an upper directly in line with how I would be using it, and have a much better setup than paying for a name.

Well guys I took the plunge. I tried getting into the gun show but the lines and traffic was ridiculous. Instead I went to the local gun shop and bought the Predator my Rock River Arms. It is the mid length carbine with a match barrel this one in particular has the stainless bead blast with the tactical latch. It was the display model. At first It had a little scratch on the barrel and did not want it but I got it for $50 bucks less than was marked, plus 100 rounds of federal ammo 62gr. one free mag plus the kicker a set of warne quick release rings which sealed the deal for me. I have mounted a Nikon Monarch with BDC reticle on it. I will follow later with a range report and pictures. In the meantime this is what the predator looks like for those that do no know.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=229

Looks nice man.

Is the barrel pretty heavy on it? How does it balance?

I've never been dissapointed with any Daniel Defense rifle i've purchased. You get a lot for your money. Take a look at them.