• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What would you have done?

Jthoss0837

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2010
Greenville, South Carolina
So this video got my mind rolling, on what i would have done in this situation.
http://www.break.com/index/mother-deer-destroys-dog.html
Alot of people here on the hide, and all around for that matter carry a concealed weapon, or have a rifle.

So if a deer was pummeling your dog would you shoot it? Would you run at it and try to scare it? Ive seen a video of a man attacked by a deer and it was bad. Would you do what she did and sit and yell?

Take in to account the risks of shooting.
Houses near by, hitting someone, hitting the dog, is it legal to shoot a deer that is attacking your dog inside city limits?

Also does the deer deserve to be shot for attacking and possibly almost killing your dog, when the deer has a new born.

Something to talk about, so lets hear what you guys have to add.

Re: What would you have done?

It was doing what nature's conscience told it to- protect the fawn. It probably thought the dog was a coyote. I would not consider it dangerous after, as if it got a taste of doggy flesh and wanted more, with a possibility of graduating to humans. Although, a killer deer swarm would satisfy a lot of hunters' fantasies.

Would have shot it...of coarse that is normally my answer when given a choice.

In all seriousness, considering the circumstances, I would have yelled and ran towards the deer...then when it came at me and I "feared for my life" I would have pulled out my light-saber and decapitated it. Just me....
eek.gif

LOL!! That dog got pwned! Why was that dog not on a leash? Anyways, if that was my dog, I wouldn't need to shoot it because my old dog was a Rott and wouldn't have no problem dealing with an attacking doe.

I would have shot the deer. Then again, Im s sucker for yummy food.

I would have killed that deer in a heart beat and would not have thought twice about it. There are many deer but I only have one dog.

I shot the doe during a snow storm when no one was around in the middle of the night, before she ever had the fawn; thus negating the future possibility of any such incident.

I mean..... I would have.
whistle.gif

I'd have shot the cat, cause I despise the trash eaters. Then the dog would't have come around to get his butt kicked. I was waiting for the cat to get his butt kicked. That would've made my day
laugh.gif
. A car horn or loud noise would've likely scared the doe off.

If I can't scare the deer off, it's going to bite the big one.

The game laws in our state say that if a wild animal is damaging property, crops etc... it is considered a nuisance and can be destroyed. But the game warden has to be called and a report taken. Or at least that's the way it read a few years ago. For your own peace of mind call and ask your local game warden.

The cat started it!
Also, just like people today.
Blame the inocent for what happened, instead of bad parenting!
Dog was just a bystander, and nobody came to help.
Attack could have been stopped with a whack or two from a shovel.
Then go dig a pit for the roasting and toasting for saving the dog!
Keep the fawn safe, by keeping in a small, dark barn and feed powdered veal raising milk.

Dredge in flour and saute in butter and olive oil.
Remove, and set aside.
Add peppers, mushrooms and onions to drippings.
When wilted add some Marsala.

Serve over bowties.

Damn, where was this at?
I'm getting hungry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Venison steaks marinated in red wine and herbs, broiled with wild mushrooms in a tart cherry wine demi glace </div></div>

Cranberry jam with it... fits to wild meat as father does on the mother
smile.gif

Nice responses everyone, I personally would have to shoot the doe, if scaring it away didnt work. Ive passed up doe's because they are caring for fawns. But ive also shot a stray dog that was about to attack my dog.

You couldn't safely shoot it in that neighborhood, but i would have done something beside just stand there and record the whole thing. Some people are f-in useless

Well I would have wanted to see how my pitbull reacted to the deer trying to hit him.... The deer might pull back a nub at one point. Then I would have shot the deer. My dog and I would be eating good that night! As stated before, there are a ton of deer but only one of my dog.

If it was my dog, the deer would be DRT.

Not only was the dog minding his own business but what about when the doe decided someone in the neighborhood was a threat, a kid for example?

Maser, really??? "Why wasn't the dog on a leash?". How about, "Why was the fucking deer in the front yard?".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If it was my dog, the deer would be DRT.

Not only was the dog minding his own business but what about when the doe decided someone in the neighborhood was a threat, a kid for example?

Maser, really??? "Why wasn't the dog on a leash?". How about, "Why was the fucking deer in the front yard?". </div></div>

Apparently the fawn was attacked by the dog, as one woman said "Well he hurt the baby" that would explain why the fawn was on the ground, and why the Deer attacked the dog.

I'd have attacked the deer with some kind of hand held bludgeoning weapon at first (like a shovel or whatever) if that didn't go well then I'd transition to secondary and slain it's friggin body. Guddagoh?.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body"></div></div>Apparently the fawn was attacked by the dog, as one woman said "Well he hurt the baby" that would explain why the fawn was on the ground, and why the Deer attacked the dog.
</div></div>

My post was directed more at the fact that apparently Maser thought it was funny watching the deer stomp on the dog. His first statement, "LOL!! That dog got pwned!" just really pissed me off.

A dog will go after a fawn, a doe will protect it's offspring, it's nature. Similarly I would protect my dog from the deer with anything I could find to do so. The real trick would be not getting close enough to get your own ass stomped in the process.

Did the deer "deserve" to be shot for jumping on the dog? No, in the fact that she was doing her job. Did it "need" to be? Yes. It looks like a suburb. The dog should be there the deer should not. Like someone already mentioned, there are a metric shit ton of deer out there but I have one dog (well, actually three but you get the idea).

Isn't a fawn's natural defense mechanism to lay down and freeze (like it was in the beginning of the clip)? I thought they exhibit that behavior whenever they are threatened or feel threatened.

For me it boils down to one fact. The deer is a wild animal, the dog is not. If it were my dog, I'd hope to be able to save him.

I can't belive everyone want's to kill the deer for protecting her young. I suppose if someone was threatening your child and you were protecting them some bystander could put a bullet in your head. Dogs should be on a leash period! If you guys loved your dog as much as you say, you wouldn't put them in harms way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ARCOREY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd have shot the cat, cause I despise the trash eaters. </div></div>

ROFL.....

I would've video taped the incident, then posted it on the Hide, just for my own amusement...

I'm thinking this is in Canada (Cranbrook, British Columbia) so good luck with shooting the deer - them RCMP ain't so gun friendly anymore.

Us Canucks just have to use our hockey sticks and give the doe a good cross check. eh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PBinWA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking this is in Canada (Cranbrook, British Columbia) so good luck with shooting the deer - them RCMP ain't so gun friendly anymore.

Us Canucks just have to use our hockey sticks and give the doe a good cross check. eh. </div></div>

I wouldn't trust Montreal's team to deliver the cross checks!!!!

Forty-One,
LOL, It wasn't the deer attacking that pissed me off. It was the fact that Maser thought it was funny. Personally, I don't want a fat guy of my very own... I used to be one and don't need a reminder
smile.gif

p-shooter,
Fine, dogs should be on a leash... and deer should be in the woods. Trying to compare it to a person and their child is a bit of stretch isn't it???

I do know one guy who has a pet deer and his opinion would probably be "shoot the dog".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p-shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't belive everyone want's to kill the deer for protecting her young. I suppose if someone was threatening your child and you were protecting them some bystander could put a bullet in your head. Dogs should be on a leash period! If you guys loved your dog as much as you say, you wouldn't put them in harms way. </div></div>

I agree with what others have said, Deer are wild animals and dont belong in suburbs, there are thousands of them around. The dog shouldnt be required to be on a leash, although the dog shouldnt have been let out if a damn deer was outside. Why the dog was out idk, but in my neck of the woods if a deer was attacking my dog i'd easily be able to shoot it without worrying about damaging property or injuring someone. Dogs that have good behavior around people and other animals, should never be required to be leashed. Thats not only ignorant, but a pain to have to control the dog. Your comparison to a child and a bystander further prove your ignorance and stupidity. The dog did nothing to deserve being trampled, look at it as someone beating someone to death with a baseball bat, and a bystander shooting that person.

The deer would have been dead very quickly. Some of you have stated that the deer was just protecting its young but I see it the same way for the dog. I consider my dog a member of the family and would go out of my way to protect him.

I would have shot the FAT GUY.

There has to be something illegal about attacking defenseless wild animals....!!!!!!

First, I'd sell that pussy Chevy HHR. Then, since the dog was minding it's own business, I'd have gone after the deer with my sjambok. If I had to, I'd have hopped on her back and ridden her down, then pinned her 'til animal control could get there with a tranc gun and safely relocated her.

As for the "can't blame the deer for its instincts" crowd: Even if the deer mistook the dog for a predator, it doesn't mean she wasn't dangerous. What if she mistook a toddler for a predator? She is obviously agitated and confused and needs to be moved to an area where she doesn't pose a threat to humans or domestic animals.

But shoot/kill? Nope. Not really necessary in this case and unadvisable due to the surroundings.

Discharging a weapon in a neighborhood? You'd go to jail.

This would be anyone that messed with the deer.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LNGGbozilko"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LNGGbozilko" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I would have fucked that dear up. By the time the authorities would have gotten there they would see a crazed man, with his shirt ripped off, flexing and yelling, while basking in the doe's blood.

P-Shooter, you need to get a dog bro.

I'm sorry but I think this is funny.

First, in every town I have ever lived in there are leash laws. How "OK" would it be if an off the leash dog attacked a child? Then it's not OK to have your dog off of a leash right? But since the dog got owned everyone feels sorry for the dog. Would the deer have attacked the dog if the owner was standing there with the dog on a leash? The dog was probably shitting in the neighbor's yard anyway and needed its ass kicked.

Second, for the "deer belong in the woods" crowd here's an idea; stop building neighborhoods encroaching and reducing the "woods". Since the deer don't have anywhere to go where do you think they're going to end up? That's right, in your backyard.

This entire incident could have been prevented if someone just shot the cat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Discharging a weapon in a neighborhood? You'd go to jail.

This would be anyone that messed with the deer.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LNGGbozilko"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LNGGbozilko" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

That deer needs to work on his ground game. There was a perfect opportunity for an arm bar that was completely missed. He will never make it in a cage fight, just another brawler that got lucky.
smirk.gif

Honestly, I feel sorry for that dog. It looks like my old 13 year old dog - she's deaf, has bad hips and shoulder. That dog just seemed to be walking out minding it's own business - not even heading towards the deer.

Now if my 1 year old Lab/Pit got beat like that then I'd probably tell him he deserved it.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: p-shooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can't belive everyone want's to kill the deer for protecting her young. I suppose if someone was threatening your child and you were protecting them some bystander could put a bullet in your head. Dogs should be on a leash period! If you guys loved your dog as much as you say, you wouldn't put them in harms way. </div></div>

The fricking cat was licking it, and tasting for dinner!
Had enough sense to get out of the way when the shit came down!
As most may see a deer as Bambie, you may not understand.
Check welfare of those that hit it first.
Many times, if they are not hurt, they dont want to see it that way either.
If it's dark, a piece of wood and a blade is quieter.

Stick around.
Most people won't show up to get it.
Most deputies don't want to deal with the paperwork, be also want to take care of the problem.
A wounded deer may also cause another accident, till it is put down.

Our farmers feed them, and they are not in fences.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Noah Mercy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First, I'd sell that pussy Chevy HHR. Then, since the dog was minding it's own business, I'd have gone after the deer with my sjambok. If I had to, I'd have hopped on her back and ridden her down, then pinned her 'til animal control could get there with a tranc gun and safely relocated her.

As for the "can't blame the deer for its instincts" crowd: Even if the deer mistook the dog for a predator, it doesn't mean she wasn't dangerous. What if she mistook a toddler for a predator? She is obviously agitated and confused and needs to be moved to an area where she doesn't pose a threat to humans or domestic animals.

But shoot/kill? Nope. Not really necessary in this case and unadvisable due to the surroundings. </div></div>

Funny thing is when i watched this video for the first time i thought the exact same thing about the chevy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sorry but I think this is funny.

First, in every town I have ever lived in there are leash laws. How "OK" would it be if an off the leash dog attacked a child? Then it's not OK to have your dog off of a leash right? But since the dog got owned everyone feels sorry for the dog. Would the deer have attacked the dog if the owner was standing there with the dog on a leash? The dog was probably shitting in the neighbor's yard anyway and needed its ass kicked.

Second, for the "deer belong in the woods" crowd here's an idea; stop building neighborhoods encroaching and reducing the "woods". Since the deer don't have anywhere to go where do you think they're going to end up? That's right, in your backyard.

This entire incident could have been prevented if someone just shot the cat. </div></div>

Read what i posted previously, A dog that is of good behavior around other people and animals. Your argument is pointless, people will always build near animals habitats.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jthoss0837</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Read what i posted previously, A dog that is of good behavior around other people and animals. Your argument is pointless, people will always build near animals habitats.</div></div>

Rules are rules. Point is, rules and laws are meant to be followed and if they are not, there are consequences. It is up to the individual as to whether accepting the ramifications of those consequences are worth what they want to accomplish or achieve so the point I made is very valid.

Second, we will always build near animal habitats and therefore we will always force-by those actions-interactions with wild animals. To blame the animals is idiotic and unless you condone the outright slaughter and eradication of all wildlife their presence is a fact we are going to have to live with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would the deer have attacked the dog if the owner was standing there with the dog on a leash? The dog was probably shitting in the neighbor's yard anyway and needed its ass kicked.
</div></div>

Possibly, most moose attacks happen to people out walking their doggies...so my family in Alaska tells me.

I had a moose stick her head in while I had my daughter asleep on my chest, mommy mooses know not to fuck with a parent, even though she was bigger than me (I had a 9mm pointed at her head).

So yeah, dog was doing nothing but in nature, that's how it is, pre-emptive attack.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Venison steaks marinated in red wine and herbs, broiled with wild mushrooms in a tart cherry wine demi glace
grin.gif
</div></div>

BRAVOOOO!!!

Oh jeez, gimme a break...

This just so wrong headed and stupid.

First, A dog which is either willing to or able to run free and harass wildlife is a liability and a reflection of irresponsibility on the owner's part. Pets need to be kept under reasonable control. If that dog had gone after my neighbor's kid, it'd be the dog with the slugs in it. My dog, my responsibility, my slugs. Just because it's a deer instead of the neighbor kid doesn't change the responsibility one iota.

I'm not talking about hunting dogs being employed in the hunt. I may not be crazy about some of the smaller facets inherent within the concept of free running hunting packs, but I recognize their necessity, especially with regard to feral hogs and such; which, by the way, are another example of human irresponsibility. The original hogs shouldn't have been able to run free in the first place. They were simply turned loose in Florida by Spanish explorers, so there'd be a ready supply of meat animals. Well; we can all see how well that idea turned out. Now a whole continent is faced with the consequences of a few irresponsible vagabond adventurers' simplistic reasoning. Reasoning? Hogwash. Literally. Hogs are an introduced species with no natural predators.

People seem to forget that dogs are domesticated wolves, and mindlessly endow them with anthropomorphic attributes that simply ain't so. If you had a domesticated Leopard, you'd keep that sucker on a leash, even if you'd raised him from a kitten and 'knew' he was 'harmless'. But Fluffy and Fido get a pass without a second thought about their primary natures, which are purely predatory. The whole concept of domesticated predators is something that is still very, very new on an evolutionary timescale; and when you get right down to it, most of what people 'know' about the process is pretty much confined to genetics, and otherwise pretty much based on speculation, theory, and wishful thinking. Training? There is no such thing as infallible training where predators are concerned.

There are no bad dogs, but there are millions upon millions of shallow thinking owners.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dlc356</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Maser, really??? "Why wasn't the dog on a leash?". How about, "Why was the fucking deer in the front yard?". </div></div>

Are you serious? Do you honestly believe that the deer had no right to be there? Also do you really think people should just let their dogs run free through a neighborhood? Its interesting you pose the question of the doe attacking a kid, how many kids do you think have been mauled by unleashed dogs compared to how many have been trampled by a deer? Ive done my fair share of bike riding and have had a slew of dogs chase me down looking to have a taste. I have been bitten twice, after the first bite I started carrying pepper spray in addition to my pistol. I never even thought about actually using my pistol on a dog until the second time I was bit because the pepper spray failed to work in deterring the dog, that dog didn't live. I have ceased carrying the pepper spray.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs and I have had a couple over the years. I really wish I could own one where I currently live but alas I can not. I'm not some hippy tree hugger either, just a realist,sportsman and environmentalist.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bucksquirelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm not some hippy tree hugger either, just a realist,sportsman and environmentalist.

</div></div>
For your future reference a tree hugger is also known as an enviromentalist. Now please go play with people that are like you, that means somewhere other than here FUCKTARD.