• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing What would you pick between these three factory rifles?

S3th

Indecisive
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2018
Greensboro NC
I'm looking for an all-purpose hunting rifle; whitetail, elk to sheep. Initially, I was going to build a custom rifle off of a TL3 but looking around I don't think I would get the 'investment' back. The three that I am contemplating are; Christensenarms Ridgeline, Kimber Mountain Ascent & Howa 1500 RN addition - all in 6.5 PRC.

I would scope the rifle with either a Leupold VX-5HD or Vortex AMG. On the Howa, I would replace the Leupold VX3i once hunting something other than whitetail.

Any other recommendations in this price range are welcome, including suggestions to continue my TL3 build. Out of the three above, my top choice is the Mountain Ascent due to control round feed, weight and three-position safety.

Sold quite a few Ridgelines. Light, good trigger, good accuracy.

Also look at Fierce, for sometime, had them on special ordering meaning, couldn't keep them on the shelf.

Kimber Ascent from my experience, very ammo specific accuracy but if I was going after sheep / goat, I would give it a look and find that ammo.

I would give the Hunter a good look especially in short action.

Howa, brought them in but were just average to less than sellers.

As always, Tikka T3. Not the lightest but in my opinion, best bang for the buck off the shelf. Money saved for hunts. Accuracy with any ammo. Trigger is superb. In all my time selling firearms, never had a Tikka returned for QC, cant say that about any other. The only one that was brought back was due to 300wm and customer flinching accuracy.

While not considered much, Model 7. If I was looking for a new mountain rifle, this would be it. Short, nimble and light to tote around the mountains.

good lucl

CA ridgeline if you want light,if a xtra pound is ok. Bergara highlander.i have both and love em,bergara is a bit more accurate,both are fitted with Leupold VX5HD. 3-15. Love this optic. Vx6HD is nicer but i dont think worth $500 more

Reactions: S3th
I’d add a tikka to the list.

Had a Christensen arms, and a kimber. Should have just bought a tikka from the get go.

Solid gun off the bat with the ability to change whatever you want on it. And IME they shoot.

Reactions: coldboremiracle
Tikka, or a Bergara. As a resident hunter in SW MT, I try to avoid anything with a Randy Newberg label attached to it. I’ve always enjoyed finding my own hunting spots and then either keeping them to myself, or taking someone with me as a way of showing gratitude. Not broadcasting them to the entire universe so they can come join in the fun. Oh shit, sorry, this thread is about guns. Don’t forget about Cooper, they are kind of like Christensen, only with better execution.

If cost is a huge issue, id go Howa. Buy barrelled action and put it in whatever stock or chassis of your choice. The stocks on the factory Howa guns are mostly rubber and super flimsy.

I’ve got the Christensen Ridgeline in multiple calipers and hand load for several other people’s Ridgelines. They all shoot sub 3/4 MOA with factory ammo and a few do sub 1/4 MOA with handloads. The two 6.5 PRC’s that I load for both shoot sub 1/4 MOA. My 6.5 CM shoots sub 1/4 with factory loads.

If cost is a huge issue, id go Howa. Buy barrelled action and put it in whatever stock or chassis of your choice. The stocks on the factory Howa guns are mostly rubber and super flimsy.

I believe the Howa I listed has some upgrades over a general Howa barreled action but I could be wrong. Based on my needs, I think I will likely go Howa or build off of a TL3 w/ Proof Carbon Barrel. I am curious as to how beneficial a bolt lock is while in the backcountry/thicket which is a feature of the Kimber and Howa rifles.

Benefits of the Howa are the lower upfront cost, prefits, and the overall package appearing to be equal to the value. I would likely sell the VX3i and buy a VX5HD immediately.

I played with a CA Ridgeline and wasn't impressed with the action enough so that is off my list. I haven't touched a Howa or Kimber action either so those will be determining factors going forward.

Of those you listed, I'd go with the Ridgeline. My brother's Ridgeline 300 WM shoots great, even with factory ammo. I'd agree with others though, I'd take a look at the Seekins Havak as well. Absolutely love mine.

I bought a Ridgeline in 300wm back at the end of September, before my 3rd rifle elk/mule deer hunt in CO. I wasn’t immediately impressed with it but it has grown on me for sure. The bolt has really slicked up after a couple hundred cycles. Since I was short on time, I couldn’t do my normal load development process but pretty easily found a load with 200gr accubonds that averages .75moa and has pretty good velocity according to my labradar, 2985fps. The bull and buck I shot didn’t complain.

My suggestion would be one of these, in this order

Buy a Havak
Build a Tikka
Buy a bergara

Reactions: WoobieJ
As mentioned above,i love my CA Ridgeline but for that kind of coin i am a bit disappointed that the action is a bit sticky,my Bergara Highlander is the smoothest action i have owned,for the same $ i would pick the Bergara every time,no experience with the Seekins but have only heard good things.i would reccomend playing with a CA before buying.love everything about mine aside from the action,local Cabelas & Bass Pro have them in stock

Get either a Tikka or go with a Bighorn Origin with a proof prefit barrel and a TriggerTech trigger. I really came to dislike the action on my Christensen rifle's once I got my first Origin. The actions just do not feel like I'd expect a rifle at that price range to feel. it's not nearly as smooth as the $650 Tikka T3x actions.

If you want a great off the shelf rifle that shoots around 3/4” and on a budget the Tikka T3 is your rifle.around $700
You cant beat it
If $ is not as important and you want to step up in class i would get a Bergara Highlander $1700,i own one and love it.smoothest action i have come across and shoots 1/4-1/2” already cerakoted,threaded barrel
A few friends have Seekins Havak and love them.these are built to order so by the time your done a average one runs $2200.the Seekins and Highlander will shoot about the same,weigh about same,both adj triggers,the Seekins is a magazine and the Bergara is top load,not sure if that matters to you.seekins looks a little cooler.if same price i would pick a Havak but $500 less i bought the bergara,you will love either one

Reactions: Allan havlik
I am a huge Tikka fan, but unless it is a new offering, you would have to build a 6.5 PRC off of a donor action.

I thought about Tikka and Bergara. They're sweet, no doubt about it.

That being said, as someone who's a proud citizen of the USA, I can't stomach the thought of buying a new gun that wasn't manufactured by my American brethren. I simply can't bring myself to do it. Especially a rifle. I mean, come on, American's come out of the womb as riflemen! We don't need some better priced foreign rifle to showcase our marksmanship! We'll smoke foreign shooters in marksmanship with muskets if we have to.

Sure, these other countries are producing quality firearms at a price point that the most US manufacturers simply cannot compete with. But I promise you this, spending the couple extra dollars to support American manufacturing will pay dividends, not only to us, but to our children and generations to come. And what better way to support American manufacturing than to buy an American made firearm?

Kimber and Christensen are excellent American companies. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a firearm from either.

Do it for Ol' Glory

Out of those 3 I'd go with the CA. I had a Mountain Ascent in 280AI for a while, and while super light and easy to pack, that thing was almost too light. You could easily see your heartbeat/pulse bouncing the reticle while shooting off a bench. Mix in accelerated heart rate from hiking and adrenaline and its really noticeable. Every little movement is amplified in those ultra light rifles, not a big deal for 200-300 yard shots, but if you're looking to stretch it out I'd be hesitant.

I've shot a CA Ridgeline in 30 nosler, it was a good shooting gun, not to light but not to heavy either. Just my 2 cents!

Thanks for all the feedback. I am just going go the custom route unless I hop on the Howa which I doubt I will.

Bighorn Arms Origin, Proof CF Barrel, Trigger Tech Trigger... still thinking about which stock to run.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am just going go the custom route unless I hop on the Howa which I doubt I will.

Bighorn Arms Origin, Proof CF Barrel, Trigger Tech Trigger... still thinking about which stock to run.
I am building that same setup. Went with a Manners EH1a stock. Found a flat-top they had in stock and ordered last week. got shipping notice today even though they had estimated a 4+ week shipping timeframe for flat-top stocks.

My Havak 6.5CM shoots 1/2” with factory ammo And sometimes under that if I do my part. No reason for me to even reload for it...

If you want a great off the shelf rifle that shoots around 3/4” and on a budget the Tikka T3 is your rifle.around $700
You cant beat it
If $ is not as important and you want to step up in class i would get a Bergara Highlander $1700,i own one and love it.smoothest action i have come across and shoots 1/4-1/2” already cerakoted,threaded barrel
A few friends have Seekins Havak and love them.these are built to order so by the time your done a average one runs $2200.the Seekins and Highlander will shoot about the same,weigh about same,both adj triggers,the Seekins is a magazine and the Bergara is top load,not sure if that matters to you.seekins looks a little cooler.if same price i would pick a Havak but $500 less i bought the bergara,you will love either one

The Havak PH1 and PH2s are not built to order. They’re factory specced rifles, and available to order at anytime from most distributors. $2200 was MSRP on the PH1, but realistic street price was $1900-2000. The new PH2 has a couple minor differences, but realistic street price is $1800.

My pick would be the CA of the 3 you suggested. I'd take a good look at Fierce though. They are Sako 85 clones. Very smooth, very nice rifles.