• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing What wrench to install Surefire flash hider?

Siso

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 22, 2002
WI
I bought a Surefire flash hider and a Tapco armorers wrench and the wrench was too small to fit over the flash hider. So I bought a Wheeler armors wrench and that was too small as well. The gunsmith at the LGS said that Surefire has a proprietary size flash hider and that I would have to pay him to install it. I would rather do it my self so what wrench do I need?

I need to use a torque wrench to install, so a box wrench won't work if I want to torque it to certain ft-lb. And this is recomended by surefire.

I need to use a torque wrench to install, so a box wrench won't work if I want to torque it to certain ft-lb. And this is recomended by surefire.

Then use a 3/4" crows foot and a torque wrench. Recalculate the change in torque and go to town. Or do what just about every other person does, uses a 3/4" open end wrench and snugs it up by feel.

What 300 said. Use the 3/4 wrench and snug it up. Clean the threads with alcohol and apply rocksett

Thanks for the help so far guys. I'm sure I sound like a moron but I tried a 3/4" open ended box wrench and it still didn't fit. It looked like the width (3/4")might be ok, but because of the height it wouldn't fit in the wrench flat cut out.

Which muzzle device do you have? I have yet to run across one that a 3/4 wrench didn't work.

You're going to have to grind the wrench head thinner. 3/4" is correct but they are too thick. Don't use a Snap On unless you are loaded or just have extras. Use the crowsfoot at 90 degrees and no calculations required.

I bought the wrench, hopefully that works. Thanks Chucky for the great customer service. I am confident that I made the right choice going with SureFire!

That is the correct wrench that I attached the link above. I have used it to install a lot of the SOCOM adapters on my demo rifles. Glad I could be of help.

Are you using the rockset, timing wheel and shims? Use the timing wheel and as stated, open end wrench. If not using rockset, same same. A coffee stirring stick works great as a leveling tool also.

Last edited:
Just wanted to give an update in case anyone else reads this. I bought the wrench and installed the Surefire flash hider no problem