• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What You Aimed at Part 3

RTH1800

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 16, 2009
    Midwest
    After reading another thread where the same old “Did you hit what you aimed at?” and “groups don’t matter” statements were made I decided to start a new thread.

I’ll start by saying Groups tell a hell of a lot and hitting what you aim at is easy. Period.

I was prepared to get some data today on my #1 squirrel rifle. Planned this last night. Check zero and 200 yard drop to prepare to build a 25 yard increment reticule for the 6X Unertl.

It was warmer than I liked and the wind came up early. 70 deg and 2:00 wind 4-7 mph.

50 yard zero was confirmed prone with sling. It was as usual, perfect. By that I mean I shot at a .22 bullet hole three times and it looked only very slightly larger through the scope. All good.

Moved to 200 yards. Checked range with laser from both ends. I did not touch scope. Prone with sling. Used a very tall target and measured drop with tape measure. (What did you expect from a guy that shoots a 75 year old rig?) This was data to build reticle.

Photos will show that the 200 yard group had less than 2” vertical. Wind almost doubled the horizontal.

8E89DF9F-E197-434E-A99E-F3FAB5DCACE5.jpeg

Once done I noticed a squirrel barking at the sound of the shots. I lasered it at 138 yards.
    Dialed my 140 yard data and held bottom of jaw. Still prone and in sling.allowed what looked like 1.5” for wind. Result below. I was a little lucky on my wind hold. Not lucky that I killed the squirrel but that I hit the eye. The more I shoot the luckier I get. 57 years of shooting squirrels with a .22 has taught me a few things.
    Get good rifle and ammo.

Gather good data.

Trust your data and set up.

Don’t be afraid to turn one loose when it looks right.

Pessimistic thoughts ruin shots.

I might get a tattoo that says that 😂

Rifles that don’t shoot great groups don’t do this.

Rifles that don’t hit what you aim at don’t do this.

Ammo is a very selected lot of Eley Tenex EPS I was fortunate enough to secure.

Long to short is groups matter. Hitting what you aim at is easy. If your POI Shifts for any reason other than conditions you have an equipment or technique issue.
    53A84A61-93FB-41B3-85C7-1B9827E63CD3.jpeg
    612D69D5-079C-4413-A42A-7493BEB645B3.jpeg

Last edited:
    Posting up this data Eley Tenex. EPS.

This lot has unusually low ES and holds great vertical at range.

Data was verified over a two year period.

Cross posted in the Trajectory thread.

Attachments

• 5E4FEB5D-59FD-4924-A480-C5385C9BD517.png
      5E4FEB5D-59FD-4924-A480-C5385C9BD517.png
      1,016.6 KB · Views: 35
    Reactions: camocorvette
    Here is what I have found by shooting groups at small aimpoints.

If I am hitting what I am aiming at, such as a 1/2 inch paster at 50 yards, eventually the target/aimpoint gets chewed up. This changes my aimpoint ever so slightly.

If I use a clean aimpoint and dial in a handfull of elevation, my aimpoint stays clean and untouched allowing me to be more consistent.

Am I still hitting what I am aiming at? Maybe. My crosshairs might be lined up on a dot, but "I am aiming" at a point an inch or two above that.

Semantics, I know.

Reactions: RTH1800