• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What you get when buying from one of the big auction houses.....

fpgt72

Old Salt
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2019
With the old mauser on here I figured some folk on here might like this, it is really not a "surplus" type forum, but I thing "gun guys" are basically gun guys and like about everything.....so here we go.

Most of what I do is in the surplus area, I do have an 03FFL and that makes getting the things I like so much harder on the wallet.....err more easy....yea that's it.

What these pics show is how you get a "gun" if you order from one of the larger auction houses, I have done both Morphy and Rock Island and both ship about the same.

If you buy a bolt gun the bolt will be removed and packaged on its own. I have bought both hand guns and long guns and both are packaged like the photos show. If you buy a rifle with a scope again it will be packaged on its own, and the rings will be again in their own package.

The box is for a long gun. Naturally the dogs need to inspect it first, the little one is Remington, the big one is Recon, Recon has crossed the rainbow bridge, she was a good girl.

Just thought you folk might enjoy seeing this, this specific example came from Rock Island Auctions, and there is one coming up tomorrow, but don't bid on anything I am looking at.

1667916124004.png

1667916148279.png

1667916171356.png

Inside that cocoon is a rifle, a long heavy rifle.

1667916187968.png

1667916204098.png

And there she is in all her glory.

1667916229491.png

1667916341697.png

1667916364487.png

1667916386480.png

And here she is on an early trip out, she did not do too bad for an old girl, minute of Indian was easy.....and it really is what it was used for.

1667916498972.png

1667916523624.png

1667916548441.png

Nice. If that powerball ticket comes in for me, I will be a fixture at Rock Island and Poulin auction houses.

Nice. If that powerball ticket comes in for me, I will be a fixture at Rock Island and Poulin auction houses.
Don't slum it at Rock Island. Hit up Morphy's, pronounced More Fees...

Don't slum it at Rock Island. Hit up Morphy's, pronounced More Fees...

Personally I don't have an issue with the fees that any of them charge, they need to make money as well.

You know it going in, don't like it don't buy.

I will say what you see is what you get, I have never been unhappy with something I bought.

Personally I don't have an issue with the fees that any of them charge, they need to make money as well.

You know it going in, don't like it don't buy.

I will say what you see is what you get, I have never been unhappy with something I bought.
While my post what a slight dig at the fees charged by auction houses, I largely agree with you. I do think that the pronunciation of that auction house’s name, however, is a bit of humorous though perhaps unintended truth in advertising. My larger point, however, is that Morphy’s Auctions tends to deal in higher end guns than Rock Island Auctions.

While my post what a slight dig at the fees charged by auction houses, I largely agree with you. I do think that the pronunciation of that auction house’s name, however, is a bit of humorous though perhaps unintended truth in advertising. My larger point, however, is that Morphy’s Auctions tends to deal in higher end guns than Rock Island Auctions.

I agree with you, I like the way Rock Island does it, they split up the "cheap stuff" off onto their own auctions, and the "premier" into a second set. I usually don't even bother looking at the premier because that is well past my means.

I did not get anything yesterday but bid on a few....not ready to swallow the 40% real inflation rate that is hitting everything.

Being somewhat "aged" the thing that kills me is the costs on some of this stuff that I was around when new. Yea yea I know it is that with so many different things, but for some reason in my brain guns are different.

Been really looking for a Ruger 44mag carbine, the thing that looks like an over grown 10-22. Really want one of those, but they are going for well over a grand now.

It really is nothing new, father in law found out I paid over a grand for a Krag....it is a NICE Krag carbine, a real carbine....and he thought I was nutz. He bought one for $15 out of the "barrel" at a hardware store in the early 50's. No different, cars, guns, houses.....anything.