• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What Zero For Load Development

TF160 Guy

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Virginia on the Lake
    I am about to begin load development for a new rifle at 100 yards with 7 different charge weights.

What charge weight do I use for the zero before the test?

If I zero to one particular charge weight will that skew the test?

I am about to begin load development for a new rifle at 100 yards with 7 different charge weights.

Honestly zero isn’t particularly important in load development. You are looking for consistency in the groupings. you could do a simple bore sight and just aim at the same point, preferably something defined like corner in a square or a diamond. The impacts should all group together. Then when you pick your load, that’s when you zero.

you won’t get much variation at 100 so if you want to have a zero, pick the one that should be the fastest flattest load and start there.

Reactions: simonp and Baron23
    You could also zero with a factory load to save your handloaded stuff. Primers ain’t cheap!

Running an OCW test?

If so, zero with a few extra rounds at your lowest charge weight then begin the test. Zeroing with any other ammo will likely result in all your groups being off relative to your pasties or whichever you’re using for a point of aim. Once done observe the pattern/alignment between POI center for each group to determine if you have a “stability” node.

Shoot in round robin fashion.

Once you’re ready to put the load into production, do a final zeroing with a few of the production rounds and you’re done.

Last edited: