• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Whatever happened to the Minox md 60/80 zr spotter’s?

BJames

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2014
Alaska
Had an opportunity to use one last summer pretty extensively for , all of A day, really enjoyed it. That said, they seem to be ghosts now days. What gives?

I have the Minox MD 80 ZR, I compared it with the Leupold Mk4, the Minox reticle is easier while the resolution of the MK4 is slightly higher than the Minox.

Yeah, but are they? Nothing is in stock, B&H had them marked as discontinued, Euro has them backorderable at least. Was the design too close to the MK4 for anybody to grab MD’s? Import problems? I’m curious why I don’t hear more about them.

I love my Minox ZP5, and spent some time behind the MD 60. Really nice optic with a really useful reticle and great glass....but man does Minox’s marketing team suck ballsack.

They could be a much bigger contender but Im guessing 95% of the shooting world hasn't a clue they even exist. Someone over there needs to bring them into the 21st by revamping their marketing for the current trends.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Maybe that’s it. They seem to have a loyal customer base...

I love my Minox ZP5, and spent some time behind the MD 60. Really nice optic with a really useful reticle and great glass....but man does Minox’s marketing team suck ballsack.

They could be a much bigger contender but Im guessing 95% of the shooting world hasn't a clue they even exist. Someone over there needs to bring them into the 21st by revamping their marketing for the current trends.

I work for the US Subsidiary of a German Power Electronics manufacturer. With Germans, there is a great deal of ingrained, cultural belief/obsession that the world will beat a path to your/their door on your terms if you are a German manufacturer.

I'm in Athens, Greece right now. I keep on getting pop ups advertising on my laptop for all of the sights/sightseeing opportunities. Everything is in Greek. So, how the hell does a "tourist" (non-Greek) begin to make heads or tails of what the hell they are trying to say or sell ? I'm nowhere close to being bi-lingual, but with French, German, Italian, Spanish, Hungarian, Russian/Cyrillic, I can usually sleuth out what they are trying to say via "pidgin'" translation. No such luck with Greek.

In Europe, most of the tourist marketing is done in English. Or, at least there is the ability to display webpages in English/German/French being the three most popularly common languages. Even the damn Chinese have learned English as a "bridge" language (between Chinese/Mandarin and German, as an example). Same with most all of the hotel/sightseeing/tour/travel companies in Europe. Hell of a lot easier than learning German, French, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Italian, etc. We spend a lot of time in Switzerland. I can't remember if we have ever had a time where someone (Innkeeper/waiter/restaurant, etc.) didn't speak English.

Last edited:
I have a Minox 80 ZR and have just sent it back to Minox to see if it is with in their spec. At this moment I am disappointed with the scope as I find the resolution and image contrast as well as light transmission to be unacceptable when compared to a Vortex Razor HD, Leupold and others at this price point.

I have a Minox 80 ZR and have just sent it back to Minox to see if it is with in their spec. At this moment I am disappointed with the scope as I find the resolution and image contrast as well as light transmission to be unacceptable when compared to a Vortex Razor HD, Leupold and others at this price point.

I’d be curious to hear how things are handled, turn around times, comms, that sort of thing. The MD60 I played with was SxS with a MK 4, Leupy gold ring HD with a reticle, and a couple of Swaro STR 80’s. The MD60 beat out both Leupold’s to my eye, with a better reticle. The Swaro... well... nothing really beats the Swarovski ?. Except, maybe the Newcon Frank brought to Gunsite, that thing friggin rocks!

I have compared side by side at 2000y minox and leupold mk4, but leupold was better....