• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Whats a good budget sco;pe?

dangerdan87

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2009
Tyler, TX
A friend of mine wants me to build him a .308 AR with a 16-18" barrel. He's wanting a variable power scope that goes out to 14-16 power (which I think that's a bit overkill for someone who is wanting to hit out to 500yds...but to each their own I guess).

I've been looking at the Vortex Viper PST's and the Nikon M-308.

He's wanting to spend 2-300, but I'm willing to bet he'll go up to around $500.

What other recommendations do you guys have?

He'll mostly be using it for hunting, some in rugged terrain.

Re: Whats a good budget sco;pe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd steer him toward the midway special vortex 5-15 for $399. </div></div>

Thats what I've been eyeballing right now. Midway is currently back ordered though. But I guess as long as he orders it, it would be the tits.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dangedan87</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd steer him toward the midway special vortex 5-15 for $399. </div></div>

Thats what I've been eyeballing right now. Midway is currently back ordered though. But I guess as long as he orders it, it would be the tits. </div></div>

Seems like a "no lose" proposition to me
1) I love mine, so I highly recommend them- can't imagine anyone not liking it for the $$
2) as long as he orders it at the current price he'll likely not lose any money reselling it if he doesn't like it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elk addict</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd steer him toward the midway special vortex 5-15 for $399. </div></div>

Absolutely the best deal going out there... bar none!! I absolutely love mine!!

DK

If he's already looking at Nikon, tell him to also look at the Monarch w/Mildot reticle. You can add turrets in 1/4" and 1/8" I think. Lifetime transferrable warranty, Mildots, 1/4" turrets, water/fog/shockproof, etc., all for under $500 dlvd.

I've seen Millets as well, 4-16x44 I think. Nice for the money, but I'd rather have a Monarch or Vortex.

I like the reticle of the Vortex I've seen, nice and thin lines and they light up. But the flip-up-caps were not removeable, and the objective flip-up wouldn't open all the way; it would get caught by the top rail because of it's angle. It was a very decent scope for the price, but geared more for "tactical" use, and could've used a riser....

He doesn't know of any scopes aside from what you can get at Bass Pro or Walmart. So I'm doing the looking for him. I only have experience in the leupold MR/T and the S&B M8541 as far as variable power tactical scopes go, which are more than what he's looking to spend.

+1

I think thats overkill. I don't shoot small things with 308. I'd go Vortex or the Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10. I have about six off them and not parting with any.

I've told him numerous times that 10x will be more than sufficient, but he insists that he wants a 14x or 16x. Luckily it's his money and not mine.

Bushnell, weaver, vortex (my personal choice), millet, swfa (super sniper), etc. For that money and distance he could get a regular viper, but the low end of magnification is kinda high and the top end is way overkill! I'd probably go with the weaver 2-10, bushnells 3-12, or vortex 4-16 PST.