• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's a good round for 223 rem700 sps varmint

arrowslinger#1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2011
KY
www.google.com
Picked one up, can someone point me in the right direction for a good round to start out with? Tried some, I believe it was american eagle cheap stuff today *too lazy to go look at box.

I got about 2 - 2 1/4 groups at 100. I have heard 52 grain black hills??

If anyone has any sucess stories with factory rounds let me know.

Thanks!

Re: What's a good round for 223 rem700 sps varmint

The SPS Varmint will have a 12 twist bbl in it, so typicall the lighter bullets will be more favorable, up to about 63gns. The Tactical has a 9" twist and runs the 55's and up to the heavies.

Try the Hornady Vmax or TAP rounds to see how ilikes factory stuff. The basic ball ammoo stuff is "blasting material" or good for breaking in the barrel/fire forming brass for reloading.

Re: What's a good round for 223 rem700 sps varmint

I have had good success with the 55gn vmax as well, but I either reload, or get the HSM re-manufactured. 50 rounds for the same price as 20 from Hornady. They are deadly on prairie dogs, and group a bit over 1" on paper (I have the same SPS Varmint 1:12 26" bbl). http://store.thehuntingshack.com/223remington50grv-maxremanufactured.aspx

Denver area Sportsman's Warehouse and JAX outdoor carry them on the shelf.