• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Whats a good scope for me???

Tsmith

Private
Minuteman
May 22, 2010
Missouri
I have a Remington 700 .243 SPS and Im just now getting into the upgrades and I REALLY need a scope. Iv looked around and I have a few in mind, but I need to know the pros and cons of them all before I make my decision.

Gun will be used in competition from 100-800 yards.

Scopes that Iv looked into:
SWFA SS 20x
Nikon monarch 4-16x or the 5-20x
Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x40
Vortex 6.5- 20x44

For these scopes dont factor in the price issue.
However, if you list any other scopes keep them in the 300-400$ range.
Thanks

Re: Whats a good scope for me???

If you get the SS, get the 16. I've heard great things about the Bushnells.

Look into the Bushnell FFP mil/mil 6-24.You will need a 20 moa base.I own the 3-12x44FFP.It's allot of scope for the money with few faults and has more elevation than the 6-24.

Steve

http://www.amazon.com/Bushnell-Elite-3200-7-21x40mm-Riflescope/dp/B000KOWFZE

I have this scope and liked it alot. It was a good deal and it zooms nicely. I am actually looking to sell it because i do not need that much zoom. I have used it when i went to the range 2 times. If you are interested you could pm me. Bushnell scopes are the only i could comment on though, as I have only owned them and leupolds. People on the boards seem to like the vortex scopes too from what I have read.

As always, what you want to do with it and your budget will will dictate your best options. Read the last 6 months of posts on this forum and you'll have all the information that you need to make an informed decision. Good luck.

My brother likes his Konus M30 Model 7281 6.5-25X44 Tatical with illuminted reticle Tactical scope. Amazon.com has them for $329+ free shipping.

My only advice: steer clear of the 20x SS. If you go with the SS, get the 16x or 10x as noted. The 20x is pretty dark.

I haven't owned the others, so I can't say. leagle is right, just scroll back a few months and you will have enough info to make a informed decision.

given the list youve got running look into the Millet TRS 1 as well 4-16x50 and super clear glass.

i think they are 299 on swfa

Not on your list is the leupold Mark 4 AR 4-12 x 40 or the 6-18 x 40. Both are great scopes, I have the 4-12 and have ordered the new 6-19, am in the process of waiting for it. The 6-18 is at the top end of your budget, while the 4-12 in right in their. I love the 4-12, it is very clear, and seems to have no issues, i can discern. I do wish they would make one with an illuminated raticle, but I can mangae without.

I have no knowledge of any other scope on your list, but over the years I have learned to avoid low end and basement equipment. In this world, things change to quickly, so I always watch and buy, scopes that keep there value. While I can not afford nor would advise anyone to invest in only the top tier equipment, I would also insist they stayed away from the low level stuff. You need to have a scope that can repeat, hold value shoot after shoot and survive the game.